Author Topic: 22R-E "loosing anti-freeze coolant into the oil pan" Any Ideas???  (Read 4611 times)

JJZ420

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
  My 22R-E started putting antifreeze into the oil pan, thinking that I had a blown head gasket on the truck.
I bought a new head and gasket kit for the truck, I just finished putting on the new head and gaskets. The truck fired right up without any problems. But, The truck is still putting antifreeze into the oil pan while the truck is running???  even with the new head and gasket set on the engine.
The truck was never ran hot or over heated prior to this problem.   
Any Ideas??? 

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
remove the valve cover and check for two grooves in the side of the timing chain cover. driver's side right behind the water pump.

Sounds like what happened to me. the timing chain guides totally disintegrated, and the chain wore a hole into the water pump cavity. you will have to replace the timing chain cover, and get the STEEL chain guides.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2007, 12:12:15 PM by 93tonkatoy »
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
remove the valve cover and check for two grooves in the side of the timing chain cover. driver's side right behind the water pump. Sounds like what happened to me. the timing chain guides totally disintegrated, and the chain wore a hole into the water pump cavity. you will have to replace the timing chain cover, and get the STEEL chain guides.

X2
lets not and say we did.

JJZ420 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
I had chain guards up at the top of the block where the head comes off the block off, Is it further down into the timing chain compartment then up by the head?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
If the chain tensoner is bad it will cause the chain to eat through the cover, this is the same cover that the water pump is attached to and if it eats through it you will get coolant in the engine. This also applies if you cracked it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
If this is the problem, then the chain would wear into the water pump cavity, at the top of the timing chain cover. If you do not have the two parellel grooves, as shown in the above pics, then my next guess would be a crack in the block, or head. these are the only two other places, if I remember right, that the oil and water are close enough to pass.

Also, are you getting any oil droplets in the coolant? If not, then the water is passing into the oil return passages. ( going into the valve cover, oil drain passage, timing chain cover, or oil pan[bottom side of block]) A good idea would be to drain the oil, remove the valve cover, and fill and pressurize the coolant system. You can do this with the pump-style coolant system tester. While it is pressurized, inspect all of the areas I mentioned for any spray, drips, etc.

If you ARE getting oil in the coolant, then the transfer is happening between the water jacket and the PRESSURE side of the oil passages. (inside the head) if this is the case, and you pressurize the water jacket, you should see water coming out of the bearings of the camshaft, rocker arms.

PS, Leave the oil plug out until testing is complete, this will let you know when the water is actually going into the oil pan.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

dt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
not to bum you out, but antifreeze and water mixed with oil will attack your bearing surfaces in just a couple of days,so If you have water in your oil fix it absolutely as quick as possible

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
yep, definately NOT GOOD!!!!
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)