Author Topic: Worn tranny input pilot bearing surface - easy fix or rebuild?  (Read 2581 times)

FortKnox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
The following is on my '95 V6 4Runner w/ the R150F 5-speed w/ 194k miles.

I've got my transmission out to replace a stripped coupler and input gear on my t-case and figured I would replace the clutch while it's all apart.  I noticed that the pilot bearing was a bit clicky when I spun it after pulling the flywheel, but didn't think much of it since I would be replacing it anyway.  However, upon inspecting the transmission input shaft I noticed that the end of the shaft (where it goes into the pilot bearing) is worn down.  I put the new pilot bearing on it and it's definitely not as snug a fit as it should be.  So, I guess I should probably replace the tranny input shaft while I have the transmission out or else this could cause some problems down the road.  Now for my question:

Can I simply unbolt the cover around the tranny input shaft (inside the bellhousing), pull out the input shaft, and pop in a new one?  Or do I need to tear down the whole transmission to replace it, at which point I might as well do a complete rebuild?  I'd rather avoid the rebuild since I don't drive the 4Runner much at all, only to 4wheeling events and on rare occasions around town, probably only between 1k and 2k miles per year and the transmission hasn't been exhibiting any problems really (no popping out of gear, no noticeable noise, etc.).

Thoughts?  Ideas?

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
its a complete tear down to get the input shaft out.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

FortKnox [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
That's what I was afraid of.   :sad2:

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
sorry to bring the bad news.

USAF EOD tech

FortKnox [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
No worries.  It is what it is.  Thanks for the info though.

Any thoughts on whether or not it would be really bad to just say screw it and put it back in w/ a new pilot bearing, given that I only drive the truck between 1k and 2k miles per year?

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
it will wear significantly faster but if thats all you drive it per year then it might be worth a shot.

USAF EOD tech

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
The pilot bearing is a standard metric bearing....  (forgot the specs at the moment)

There is a version of it that has a slightly larger internal bore (in fractional inches instead of mm).

You could get that bearing, then goto a hobby store and get some brass thin-walled tubing that will fit inside the different bearing....     JB Weld the tubing over the input shaft... (might take more than 1 size of brass tubing, the sizes slip over each other)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

FortKnox [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Something I didn't think to check at the time for some reason, but checked today was whether or not there was any play in the input shaft.  There does seem to be a very small amount of play when I grab the transmission input shaft and try to move it up/down and right/left.  From what I know there should be no play at all, so that would seem to indicate that the input bearing is on its way out.  As much as I'd rather spare the expense, I'm beginning to think I should just get a rebuilt tranny, slap it in and not worry about it.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Didn't notice the 194k miles before...........

I had to rebuild my W56 at 160k...

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15