Author Topic: Anyone tried the mods to the Aisin carb recommended on pirate?  (Read 5483 times)

70 Cam Guy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
I'm talking specifically about camo's thread on mods for the aisin carb to run at angles better.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165996

I plan on trying the fuel pressure regulator set to 1 psi for the trail (a cheap holley from summit), routing the vent tube away from the carb, and maybe the msd box.  I don't think I want to mess with the float levels since they don't adjust as easy as they did on my old Demon and holley

I'm still considering a Redline RGM kit from 22re.com and the Holley 350 conversion from Downey but the mods seem like a cheap, easy thing to try first (that would also be usefull should I swap to another carb).  Has anyone that tried these mods or carb conversion kits had good results on the trail?
 :beerchug:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
with my last truck (which did not have the fuel pump spacer) the regulator worked great.  On this truck, it causes the ignition fuse to blow, which causes the truck to not run lower than 1k RPM. 

I have ALWAYS lowered the fuel level...just don't go too low if you DD.

I have not done any other mods. You have any info on the RGM kit...I don't know what that is, and am too lazy to look it up.

70 Cam Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
sorry, but fuel pump spacer?
Are you using an electric fuel pump?  Mine is a mechanical one attached to the side of the head.  I'm not sure why it would cause a fuse to blow but these smog carbs are sortof out of my realm of knowledge.

It won't be a DD but it needs to get me to the trail and back.  I am planning to dual route the fuel line with a valve so i can just open/close a ball valve to swap between trail and street pressure.  I might drive it to work once in a while for fun but my civic is main commuter and ride.

I just got the impression from reading that post that the aisins can be finicky about float level but i don't know

here's the direct link to the rgm kit description
http://www.22re.com/main/toy/RGM.htm
the list of things for sale... scroll down, under the weber kits, sells for 480
http://www.22re.com/main/toy/toy.asp

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
no. Mechanical pump. there is an 1/8" or so spacer between the pump and the head, without it, the pump will produce too much pressure.  I think it was an idle stop solenoid issue, but :dunno: for sure.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
OH you mean a Weber kit. word on the street is they don't perfomr as well at angles as a good Aisin carb, and the Aisin actually flows better.  I have no direct knowledge/proof, but this is what I hear. PM 79coyotefrg....he runs a weber. Weber is owned by Holley now.   They are damned expensive, and when  iwas in the market for one, the weber plant in spain had been shut down for like 16mos. Don't know if they are back up or not.  I know there were NO CA smog legal kits available then (don't know your location). 

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I haven't tried all those mods, but I can vouch for a stock Aisin off road.

I did lower my float, and gas line is just barely visible in sight glass. This helped quite a bit, but I notice it's a little gas starved when pulling hills on the road, and I'm laying my foot in it.

I do want to try a regulator, as I have an electric pump mounted outside the tank.

The next time I burn up an ignitor, I'll probably be getting a MSD box.

Other than getting a little trash in my main jet (usually after getting severely off camber, or bouncing around going up hill), it seems to do fine.
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

subliminaltrips

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
the tube on the bowl vent to a catch can , is the easiest and best way to do it. it will run standing on its rear bumper like that.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
i have a 32/36 weber  and it does great,  plenty of power on road and off,  and has  to be  REALLY steep  for the carb to try and flood out

i had a 38 weber for a while and it  sucked,  going over the bumps in my driveway would make it stumble,  the 3236  has never done that

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
same here never had a problem.. thought about changing the weber only because people say it's going to screw up.. who knows maybe it's just the people behind the wheel that start stumbling and blubbering when it gets steep and freaky??? :yikes: and i have lowered my float level a bit, as recommended by the offroad tuning instructions. and another detail my truck had a frame mount electric fuel pump. but they left the stock pump in the tank. so on a steep climb with 1/3 tank it would suck air through the relief valve on top of the fuel tank pump.

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
the tube on the bowl vent to a catch can , is the easiest and best way to do it. it will run standing on its rear bumper like that.

x5 on this one, and if red reads this thread he can vouch for it too... we were on a ATV trail where it got pretty steep, steep enough to peg out my clinometer at 35.  goin up it the truck would sputter and stall out followed be black soot (raw fuel). I got out put some extra vacuum line i had on the overflow tube and the truck accelerated up the same hill no problem, not even a slight hesitation.  Do that trick before anything else and you'll see the difference.

Asian is the way to go to answer your other question, Toyota knew what they were doing when they built these trucks so use it to your benefit and save the money that you would waste on a weber. Also the float level just over the top of the lowest part on the brass view glass isn't a bad idea.  :twocents:

70 Cam Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
ok cool I'll definitely stick with the aisin carb until I get brave enough to do efi.  People bad mouth carbs so much it gives you the impression they just won't work without major work.  I think I'll look at the float levels now but I'll probably be conservative with it since I need to make it from the bay area to the Sierra's or up some other hill  :yupyup:

I know the Weber's aren't smog legal but it's much easier to swap a carb for smog than it is to swap out propane or that zors my-t-fi

thanks guys :beerchug:

hammer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Is there anyone that can show a picture or explain indetail where this overflow on the stock carb is so i can hook a peice of tube up to it
The Toyota recalls are  conspiracies created by the government to protect and promote their investments (GM and Chrysler).
Im not joking

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
its that brass pipe that hangs above.... those threads on pirate have pictures
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

hammer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
driverside or passengerside barrel?
The Toyota recalls are  conspiracies created by the government to protect and promote their investments (GM and Chrysler).
Im not joking

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
driverside or passengerside barrel?

ripped off from aforementioned thread on pirate
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

82rustbeast

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 318
  • Male Posts: 500
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
as noted above from a while back, the 1/8" spacer on the mechancal fuel pump? my 87 22r doesnt have the spacer, do I need it?