Author Topic: tapping noise in new motor  (Read 4060 times)

toeyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
tapping noise in new motor
« on: Oct 28, 2007, 01:12:02 PM »
Im getting a tapping noise in my brand new rebuilt motor :down: ... Its not loud at all, and doesnt sound like anything serious, but its bugging my to death. Its only noticable when you rev then motor up and listen as it revs back down. Its a fast paced tap... taptaptaptap. Ive checked the valve adjustment many times and its good. I took all belts off and ran for a second and could still here it, so you can count out the water pump and power steering pullys. I guess it could maybe be an exhast leak? I know for a fact my tranny is making noises but this to me sounds like the front of the motor, but i could be wrong. 

The tranny makes noises when i let off the gas and leave the clutch out at higher speeds.  A 5 speed will be replacing that soon though.

any body have any ideas? I know its hard to tell since you all cant hear it. But at least i tried.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: tapping noise in new motor
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2007, 01:41:25 PM »
loud injectors maybe ? did you have them cleaned or anything? I know mine are loud as &^%&...means they are working  :biggthumpup:
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2007, 04:16:24 PM by OOPS »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2007, 03:23:18 PM »
Injectors will make noise even at an idle so I don't think that is it, are the valves properly adjusted? Is the noise coming from the topend or the bottom?
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2007, 06:29:09 PM »
Im getting a tapping noise in my brand new rebuilt motor :down: ... Its not loud at all, and doesnt sound like anything serious, but its bugging my to death. Its only noticable when you rev then motor up and listen as it revs back down. Its a fast paced tap... taptaptaptap. Ive checked the valve adjustment many times and its good. I took all belts off and ran for a second and could still here it, so you can count out the water pump and power steering pullys. I guess it could maybe be an exhast leak? I know for a fact my tranny is making noises but this to me sounds like the front of the motor, but i could be wrong. 

The tranny makes noises when i let off the gas and leave the clutch out at higher speeds.  A 5 speed will be replacing that soon though.

any body have any ideas? I know its hard to tell since you all cant hear it. But at least i tried.

Does it sound like a little man in the motor with a hammer?
 :hammer:

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2007, 06:32:25 PM »
Which engine?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2007, 09:46:52 PM »
sorry its a 82 22r.  Ive tried my best to find where its comming from, even with a ?stethiscope?  Like i said its not that loud at all so no it doesnt sound like a hammer in there. The valves are adjusted at 8 and 12. Almost certain its not comming from the bottem end.

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2007, 10:06:28 PM »
the timing chain comes to mind, have you checked the chain guides? pop the valve cover off and look down the timing cavity to see if they are both there. I know you said it was a new engine, but they could have been missed.

You should be able to see the top of both of them from the opening in the top. You really don't want this to happen.

It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2007, 08:24:29 AM »
i would run them at 8 and 10  , check your spec sheet  i think it says 8 and 10
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2007, 11:43:26 AM »
make sure your valve cover wasn't overtightened and the valve train is not hitting it. then check you chain guides, then make sure they did not put the wrong bolts through you timing cover , water pump, and oil pump, one wrong bolt in cover and the chain tensioner will not work right.
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2007, 04:16:22 PM »
i rebuilt the motor myself, installed brand new chain, tensioner, sprockets and guides. almost positive i didnt use the wrong bolts in the cover or oil pump or water pump, but ill check the guides for wear... The valve cover may do the trick, i do have it pretty tight becuase i kept getting a small leak. Ill also tighten the exhast valves a little bit to .010. Thanks alot for the tips. hopefully this will fix it!  She runs to good for anything to serious to be wrong i think. we will see.

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2007, 04:48:43 PM »
check your crankshaft pulley. if the bolts are to long they can push the dust shield until it smacks the front cover.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2007, 06:13:43 PM »
i rebuilt the motor myself, installed brand new chain, tensioner, sprockets and guides. almost positive i didnt use the wrong bolts in the cover or oil pump or water pump, but ill check the guides for wear... The valve cover may do the trick, i do have it pretty tight becuase i kept getting a small leak. Ill also tighten the exhast valves a little bit to .010. Thanks alot for the tips. hopefully this will fix it!  She runs to good for anything to serious to be wrong i think. we will see.
valve cover,  you need  to use  a  22RE cover if you can find one,   i had to
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2007, 03:58:28 PM »
i adjusted the valves to 8 and 10, loosed the valve cover a good bit, and checked the timing chain and guides and all of that is good to go. Still making the noise..... I think it is an exhast leak. REALLY sounds like a tapping noise instead of air, but i can put my hand under the header and air is flying out of there, and its not air from the fan, i can feel it get worse as i rev it.. I guess it makes sense, since it only does it when you LET OFF the gas.  Could this be the problem?? I have an exhast gasket ordered, should be here tomorrow.  Maybe you guys can read this and let me know what yall think before then.  Its bugging the mess out of me!

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »
Fix the exhaust leak and see if that gets rid of the noise. You don't need the exhaust leaking anyway and I bet that is it. :thumbs:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2007, 04:50:33 PM »
maaan i hope thats it. Would it make a tapping noise like that? Sounds exactly like a valve thats not adjusted correctly. I took an exhast stud out and ran it for a minute and i THINK it got worse. Only one way to find out i guess, anyone else agree with mammoth??????

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2007, 05:15:28 PM »
:yesnod:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2007, 07:44:24 PM »
:werd:

then drive it up here saturday

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2007, 07:54:01 PM »
pshhh my truck would never make it that far! The engine would proabably cruze right up, but theres not tellin what else would break between here and there.

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2007, 09:40:40 AM »
 a few things have worked for me when i comes to finding just where the noise is coming from. 3/8 fuel hose 2 or 3 feet long. put it to your ear and point the other end to where you think the noise is coming from. works for vacuum and exhaust noise. and use a large screw driver to find where metal contact sounds are coming from. be careful and don't touch any moving parts!!! fan, belts, etc.

mcg_916

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2007, 12:31:14 PM »
i had the exact same problem after installing my new motor and it was an exhaust leak so im almost possitive thats what it is, mine was leaking out of my headers where they bolt to the the engine, there was a hole right in the middle of there so i put a bolt in it and problem solved

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2007, 12:35:08 PM »
Mine was tappin' yesterday. I put on the missing exhuast manifold nut, and problem solved.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2007, 01:08:45 PM »
Did you check the exhaust manifold for warpage?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2007, 01:50:38 PM »
Thanks for all the help and tips. Going to put the new gasket on right now. ILl let yall know.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2007, 02:07:46 PM »
Yeah, the OEM manifolds are a heap of gaskets and parts waiting to back themselves out.  I've been going down the road and "TING!" - there drops another manifold or exhaust bolt.  I swear I replace or mess with the thing every other month.(though soon I'll have a proper header and most of that will be a memory)

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2007, 04:33:49 PM »
No exhast leak. Got a stethascope and im pretty sure its comming from the bottom end. Pisses me off. i dont know what to do now. I need to take it to someone with knowledge of 22r/s and let them listen i guess.

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2007, 04:45:21 PM »
where on the bottom end? front? back? did you check those 4 little bolts that hold the crank pulley on?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2007, 05:32:17 PM »
No exhast leak. Got a stethascope and im pretty sure its comming from the bottom end. Pisses me off. i dont know what to do now. I need to take it to someone with knowledge of 22r/s and let them listen i guess.
dang,   how far are you from Arkadelphia??

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2007, 05:51:45 PM »
Try taking your fuel pump out and running it to see if it still makes noise.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 01, 2007, 06:09:18 PM »
donno where that is glen, im an hour from el dorado. I took the belts off so the fan wasnt running so i could really listen, its still hard to tell,  miiiiight be the timing chain. Hell i dont know though. I tried to take the top bolt out of the oil pump thinking it had the tensioner hung up, but i couldnt get a wrench on it right so im going to have to take the crank pully off and all that. I may do it tomorrow im to aggrivated to jack with it tonight.

Yota4life

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -128
  • Male Posts: 1,461
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2007, 08:31:30 PM »
I had a loud tapping noise coming from the back of the head and i was 100% sure it wasent an exhaust leak. It sounds just like and exhaust leak. And this is a re-man engine with only 18k on it. So i pulled the head and now im pretty convinced its a burnt/warped leaking exhaust valve. That could be your problem.
88 Toyota Pickup with some stuff...
Build up: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11133.160