Author Topic: CB options and mounting  (Read 11830 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
CB options and mounting
« on: Oct 24, 2007, 11:33:14 PM »
I was thinking about buying a CB because all of my wheeling buddies have them. I was thinking Cobra 18 WX ST ll (brand that most everyone else has), Uniden PRO538W, or a Midland 77-120ESP (used because I don't think it is still available). I am hoping to keep it below $75. I want a front speaker because I think they are better sounding. I want to mount it either below the radio or on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel. I don't know the dimensions of the hole below the radio, but I will get it sometime. Pics!

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007, 12:05:58 AM by KDXSR5 »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: CB options and mounting
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2007, 05:44:18 AM »
if you mount it inside the dash it is very hard to hear the speaker on the CB.....I would recommend running an external speaker (radioshack sells them) and mount it behind your head....my buddy mounted some inside his headrests
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:05:33 AM »
That is why I am going with a CB that has a front speaker. All three of those have speakers on the front by the knobs, so I wont have a problem with hearing it (I hope).
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007, 10:20:13 AM by KDXSR5 »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:21:53 AM »
another option would be something like the wx75, all in handheld mic..thats what I would do if I could do it over again
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:45:35 AM »
I thought about that, but it is kind of expensive, and I don't know how much I would like having all of the stuff on the mic. I have used the handheld type CBs when going on backpacking trips before, and I didn't really like them. I guess I will check it out though.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:52:58 AM »
I have used the handheld type CBs when going on backpacking trips before, and I didn't really like them.

not that kind of handheld...like this

only problem is if you break the mic the cb had to be replaced...personally i know i am hard on my mics
RIP KYOTA

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2007, 11:01:26 AM »
I wonder how it fairs around water & mud. My friend has an older cobra, and he has abused the crap out of it. All he has had to do is replace the mic once. Do you know someone who uses it? Post up with your impressions! One of my other friends is running two amps in his system with a 102 inch whip, and he has talked to people halfway across the US. He is really good with CBs. I might just ask him to have one of his old ones. But I really think it would look slick to have one mounted in that spot under the radio. :dunno:
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007, 02:26:56 PM by KDXSR5 »

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2007, 12:58:18 PM »
Better yet is to get a wireless/bluetooth ear piece.  I have friends who have them in their motorcycle helmets and they swear by them.

82rustbeast

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 318
  • Male Posts: 500
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »
I have a Uniden CB with a "diesel'" brand PA speaker i got for $13 at a truck stop. The cb is installed under the glove compartment on my 1st gen. NO drilling, the bracket just bolted straight up to the two holes under the dash. And the cool thing is too is that my stereo has an i-pod input jack, and I always have the cord plugged in, so I can plug it into my External Speaker port on the CB and hear the CB through the radio. Pretty useful. :yesnod:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2008, 08:50:26 PM »
Wow back from the dead! I also have an Ipod jack deal for my stereo, might have to look into the again, I have been relying on my analog cell phone, but everyone tells me thats on the way out, so I will need a CB here soon.

82rustbeast

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 318
  • Male Posts: 500
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2008, 09:31:05 PM »
yeah, I just thought there was no reason to start a new thread.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2008, 09:38:57 PM »
yeah, I just thought there was no reason to start a new thread.

Very true, plus this thread is not all that old. I was just surprised to see it in my updated topics deal, thats all.

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2008, 10:28:25 PM »

the hole below my deck is where it goes, see if i can find a pic with it in
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2008, 08:26:01 AM »
Like this

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2008, 09:49:40 AM »
Where can you find the biggest whip or cb antenna? like 5ft or above? so it almost hits or hits the stop light when you go by it but doesnt break it, or a little smaller so it doesnt hit it?
anyone know? i looked but i cant find the right one am looking for
my friend used to have a giant one that hit the top of the gas station roof when he went through it to get gas or just pulling in there but it didnt break it? i want one like that, any know where to get these all i see is the stainless steel or steel whips, which they probally are the most flexible ones, but i dont want plain color of metal, i want a white one or a different color
any ideas?
am also thinking the older giant cobra cbs are the best choice
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2008, 09:56:22 AM »
tallest one I know of is the standard size 102" whip.......

trust me you dont want one much taller than that....u start breaking out car windows driving down the street (ask me how I know!) and cant pull in any covered garages and crap ...it sucks sometimes

actually some off-road parks dont allow whip antennas because they can be dangerous to bystanders
RIP KYOTA

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2008, 11:46:02 AM »
how can whip antennas be dangerous i dont understand it? if you mount the whip on top of the roll bar then how can you break other peoples windows and stuff?
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2008, 06:33:14 PM »
Well I still don't know why you would want a giant antenna like that when you wheel your truck. A 5ft fiberglass one will give you just as good results, and hit less stuff while on the trail. 

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2008, 06:50:16 PM »

the hole below my deck is where it goes, see if i can find a pic with it in

Like this

I like these options, I will probably put it there and run it on a speaker. How does a firestick 2 do?

102 inch whip is the longest easily obtainable antenna. Two of my friends have these, and they are a PITA to keep from getting bent or damaged. The will bend and everything, but to keep them performing best they should not be hit on stuff all the time. They work really well, but yes, they do take out windows, one of my friends did that. Plus they are a real PITA on the trail, because it goes under branches, then gets flung foward, hits the hood, then flings backwards and hits the tailgate (it could also hit and injur a person easily). 102 inch whip is nice for sand and open road, but in town or out on the trail, they are a PITA.

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »
how about when your standing on the side of a  obstacle  and  some :idiot:  with a 10 foot  whip comes along  and  rolls  and the tip  cuts  your face from above your eye  to  the middle of your chest,   i have a friend  with a scar like that and she doesnt like it much
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2008, 08:25:59 PM »
how can whip antennas be dangerous i dont understand it? if you mount the whip on top of the roll bar then how can you break other peoples windows and stuff?
because it WHIPS  :slap:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2008, 08:28:14 PM »
Yeah, whips are dangerous. Use on highway only rigs like semis or for like sand dune stuff. They are no good for wheeling, way to dangerous.

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #22 on: Apr 02, 2008, 08:31:24 PM »
Hhaa gosh am dumb sometimes. I never thought about a whip doing that.
Now i understand why you dont want such a huge one.
x2 what about the fiberglass firestick 2 ones? or orginal firesticks
what are the other optitions other than fiberglass and whips then?

i dont like fiberglass becasue i hear they can break more easily than a whip..
not sure what other styles are out there, but i rather have a flexy one that can take a beating and not break too.

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 02, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »
Hhaa gosh am dumb sometimes. I never thought about a whip doing that.
Now i understand why you dont want such a huge one.
x2 what about the fiberglass firestick 2 ones? or orginal firesticks
what are the other optitions other than fiberglass and whips then?

i dont like fiberglass becasue i hear they can break more easily than a whip..
not sure what other styles are out there, but i rather have a flexy one that can take a beating and not break too.
4 foot fiberglass "Francis"  is the best antenna  you can get  use with a  spring at the bottom  and  a  rubber tip  and never worry

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 2008, 09:01:41 PM »
4 foot fiberglass "Francis"  is the best antenna  you can get  use with a  spring at the bottom  and  a  rubber tip  and never worry

Where would you aquire one? Thanks for all the CB help Glen!

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2008, 11:07:19 PM »
Anywhere. Check e-bay. Or look for a place local.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2008, 11:24:11 PM »
www.firestik.com

try truckstops... we have those here in cen cal... and they have sweet cb stuff... and pretty cheap too

firesticks are fine... and they do not snap off like people say.... i ran a 4' mounted to the roofrack of my explorer for years, never 1 problem... it was on a spring as well... parking garages kinda sucked, but i jsutpulled it back to the back crossbar and bungied it down for garages, or took off the quik disconnect

the only way i could see someone snappoing a firestick, is trying to snap it liek over your knee or something
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2008, 11:51:09 PM »
:dunno: I've seen a few firesticks break, but they were all in full rollovers, where the rig wound up crushing the stick against uneven rock.  It happens, but in reality, how oftern are you oing to roll your rig, and if you do, a broken CB antenna will prolly be the least of your worries, and one of the cheaper things to fix. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 03, 2008, 05:08:38 AM »
how about when your standing on the side of a  obstacle  and  some :idiot:  with a 10 foot  whip comes along  and  rolls  and the tip  cuts  your face from above your eye  to  the middle of your chest,   i have a friend  with a scar like that and she doesnt like it much
DANG! I took mine off after I broke out someones car window driving down the street!

Had a firestik too and the dang thing cracked on the first trail run
RIP KYOTA

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 03, 2008, 05:53:21 AM »
Did you have the firestik spring mounted? I heard if you don't spring mount them, they break easily.