Author Topic: 22re missfire light throttle  (Read 3688 times)

shooter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -72
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
22re missfire light throttle
« on: Oct 24, 2007, 07:56:41 PM »
I have an 85 Pickup with a 22re. When i first bought it, it seemed like it was underpowered. Then it developed a knock.
I replaced the engine with a rebuilt. A new 02 sensor and fuel filter and air were installed when the engine was replaced. I also had the injectors cleaned by Rc engineering(one was almost completly pluged).  Plug wires cap and rotor were not very old from previous engine.

Currently the engine misses randomly at about 1500rpm and up under light load and if rev engine in neutral. It seem ok under hard acceleration allthough its hard to tell due to all the other vibrations and noises. The miss doesn't occur right at start up. it takes a few mins so i figgure that its rich from the cold start valve. If i unplug the 02 or unplug or the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator to artificially richen up the mixture the miss goes away at the lower rpms but is still there higher up.

Compression is 180ish psi for all 4
Manifold vacuum is 22in and steady
timing is 5* btdc and advances when reved
Tried to isloate by pulling plugs wires and unalble to isolate to signle cyl
fuel pressure is 29 at idle. 39 disconnected.
I can dump the relief on the gague and the engine doens't run any worse, so there is plenty of volume.
I replaced the cap rotor plugs and wires again and another 02.  no change
I even sent the injecotrs back to RC engineering to have them recheck them. no problems
I swaped mass air meters.  no change
I measured resistance of injector harness circuits including shorts to ground and power.-ok
I also measured resistance of the injector resistor.-ok  There is good voltatge at the resistor and each individual injector ohms out ok.
I disconnceted and blocked off EGR vavle- no change.
I sprayed for vacuum leaks.- none found
TP adjustment checked.
ECT sensor tested. ok

I've been fighting this thing for months. Other that swaping parts and throwing money at it, i have no idea where to go.
My main concern is to make sure the engine is not cause, as the warrenty is only for 1 year. I have sneaking suspison its a vavle train issue although i can't prove it. Also thinking weak coil. Or possible ECU injector transistor problem.
So anyone got any ideas?  :help: 

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Re: 22re missfire light throttle
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2007, 08:21:59 AM »
I would try another ignition module and coil.

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2007, 04:15:18 PM »
I have a similiar problem and it comes and goes i was thinking coil or igniter but i've been told motor
wont run with bad igniter.changed cpu for the same price as igniter so went with cpu.

shooter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2007, 12:18:49 PM »
and did the ECU fix it?

subliminaltrips

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2007, 08:48:57 PM »
are your valves adjusted evenly? just a though and something i didnt see mentioned. i had one too tight once causing a similar issue. also retarded valve timing could be an issue due to decking of the head or block causing excess slack in the timing chain. you could try an adjustable cam gear and adjust it from there,like i said just a thought and it wouldnt hurt to try either one. the cam gear from lc engineering is not too expensive and would give you someting to tweek power with.  may just be a rich, lean condition though. possibly a ground.

after reading it again it almost definitely sound like a mixture issue.

blyota91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 170
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2007, 06:07:20 AM »
I can't remember the exact codes I was getting, and I never persued the issue but my 91 22re would miss at light throttle similar to yours.  Ever once in a while I would get either coil or igniter circuit codes with a check engine light.  The light would only come on once in a great while and typically go out after 5-10 miles.  My symptoms sound similar, but I stopped driving the truck and never looked into the issues.
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

shooter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2007, 04:31:41 PM »
well its not the ECU, but at least i have a spare now...went to Pick n pull and was lucky enough to find a truck that haden't been totatlly raped. I mannaged to get an ECU with matching numbers. Unfortunatly the coil/ignitor were missing....looked at cellicas too, no luck.

Im going to check the valves again just to be sure. I set them right after I instaleld the engine.  But im pretty sure if a valve were hanging open or somthing the vacuum gage would bounce. While im at it I'll see how well the timing marks line up.

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2007, 06:29:21 PM »
just got back from wheeling and everything ran right starting to think it's converter or o2 sensor

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2007, 12:16:11 AM »
I'm having a similar problem with my 92 22RE... 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-