Author Topic: Lockright Locker  (Read 2019 times)

KELLEYALS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Lockright Locker
« on: Oct 24, 2007, 11:24:01 AM »
I was just wondering if the rumors are true about being able to install it without disasembling the third member and thus needing to reset gears????? I was also wondering how well it would work in a front diff???
SAS, 35s, ELOCKED F/R,  4.88s, S/C 3.4
Mall Crawler!!!!! Bling Bling B!@#$!!!!!

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
Re: Lockright Locker
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2007, 01:02:32 PM »
I installed a Detroit E-Z Locker, which is basically the same thing (I think), so I will try to help but it could be different.  As far as dissasembling the third member, you will have to remove the ring gear in order to slide the cross shaft out (after pressing out the retainer pin).  In order to pull the ring gear you have to pull the carrier out of the third member itself first.  Then you can pull out your gears and put the locker in.  Assuming that you marked where the ring and pinion should mesh, AND you can get the bearing adjusters to slide into the same threads you should not have to reset the gears.  This worked twice for me (minus marking the gears...oops) but the third time I couldn't get the bearing adjusters to slide in right so I ended up adjusting it by feel.  That is not really a good way to do it but 10-15k later it still only wines a little and does not overheat, so no complaints here.  Even if you have to take it take it into a shop they will only have to adjust the carrier side to side and not the pinion, so it shouldn't cost too much.  Personally, I would weld the rear and take the money saved from that and buy a selectable locker for the front, but don't just take my opinion, go drive a truck with a rear Lock-Right and see if you like it or not.  I personally did not like how it drove for the 20 or so miles before it grenated (the Detroit) and prefer welded over automatic, but thats just me.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

KELLEYALS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2007, 01:13:26 PM »
Damn bro bump for a long ass post...... I already have an electric for the rear but need something for the front, prob. just going to go for the limited slip if i have to reset the gears anyways..... :greengrin:

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2007, 09:31:56 PM »
don't let it scare ya. Your not resetting the pinion and for the ring gear just make sure you have about the same amount of backlash as before (wiggle it back and forth and it should move just a little not a lot).

No big deal, just take your time so you don't find extra pieces on the table when you get it all back together (ask me how I know lol )
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2007, 09:46:51 PM »
Damn bro bump for a long ass post...... I already have an electric for the rear but need something for the front, prob. just going to go for the limited slip if i have to reset the gears anyways..... :greengrin:

put the elct one in the front. that way ya can turn it off if ya want to.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

KELLEYALS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:36:42 AM »
Yea, its a good idea but its a daily driver and i already have the e locker third member set in the rear diff all ready to go.... I was really just wondering how a lockrite would act in the front.....

Hey thanks for the confidence brandon.... And how would you know?? :laugh:

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:45:25 AM »
I've put in a few but I was helping a friend one night and for whatever reason it took ALL night and as the sun was coming up and we were picking up all the tools we found a spacer on the bench..

So we tore it back apart and put it in, I'll never forget a part again ;)

I ran a lock right front and rear for a long time. You get used to it, of course a selectable locker is better but obviously more $$$
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

KELLEYALS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2007, 02:46:29 PM »
How does it act????? Does it still slip like it were in the rear??? Or does it act like its fully locked????

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2007, 04:20:21 PM »
pretty much fully locked - but your hubs are unlocked so you won't know it is there unless you are off road when you don't want it to unlock anyway.
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA