Author Topic: NEW Proposed Fees for forrest Use  (Read 2509 times)

85-4roller

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -92
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Save our forest from the sierra club
    • View Profile
NEW Proposed Fees for forrest Use
« on: Oct 20, 2007, 02:41:19 PM »
Once again the Forest service is proposing to charge fees at areas that were once free. Most of these areas have no ramps or services. Not even a trash can. If the proposal goes through, the public could be charged to launch boats at Edison Lake, Florence Lake and Mammoth Pool or use the Goat Meadow Snow Play Area outside Yosemite. Several previously free campgrounds, picnic areas and trailheads also would be subject to use fees.   :smack:

See the article @ 
http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/outdoors/story/160376.html

Then, If you care,  send your comments to http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/contact/feedback.shtml
Save our forest from the sierra club, they are the enemy of outdoor enthusiast everywhere.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Proposed Fees for forrest Use
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2007, 11:56:19 PM »
:shake:  Those greedy bitches just don't realise that the fees they collect might be far outweighed by the lack of monies spent locally when people decide NOT to go there anymore.  Does that make sense to anybody but me?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2007, 08:15:22 AM »
This really frosts my cookies.  I'm old enough to remember when there were virtually no fees, and virtually no gates either.  Public lands were considered to be public lands, open for public use.  Our tax dollars (and timber sales receipts) paid the costs of running the USFS. Now, of course, timber sales are practically a thing of the past. So ever-increasing fees seem to be a significant source of funding.

However...  If the USFS (& others) didn't have so many employees collecting fees and patrolling the lakes and woods looking for 'violators',  they wouldn't need to collect all the fees to pay all those employees.  Hmmm, not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me....   :headscratch:

And don't let me get started on their 'wildfire management' techniques.  That's a whole other story...    :maddest:

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2007, 08:49:30 AM »
I wouldn't mind paying a fee if the funds went back into the the department that was charging the fee. Enforcement is a necessary evil since not everyone follows the rules. Unfortunately we'd not see one penny go back into the area for which the fee was charged. To me at that point it is not a fee, it is a well disguised tax.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2007, 09:28:29 AM »
I wouldn't mind paying a fee if the funds went back into the the department that was charging the fee. Enforcement is a necessary evil since not everyone follows the rules. Unfortunately we'd not see one penny go back into the area for which the fee was charged. To me at that point it is not a fee, it is a well disguised tax.

:werd:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2007, 10:21:18 AM »
Our forefathers came to this country to avoid the excess taxes imposed by the European Monarchies.
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2007, 07:50:03 PM »
Our forefathers came to this country to avoid the excess taxes imposed by the European Monarchies.

Now we just tax the hell out of ourselves.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2007, 03:27:18 PM »
thats sucks. i dont recognize any of those names, but i know that its only a matter of time till its like that where im at. everything is already gated and occasionally roseburg checks the gates and trails, but you offer em $5 and they leave you alone. i tried it and then took off becasue if they are that f'ed up then im not going to stop and hear their BS about private property, when i no that it isnt private property.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2007, 04:08:40 PM »
everything is already gated and occasionally roseburg checks the gates and trails

You mean like roseburg logging?  I certainly hope you're not referring to wheelin behind their locked gates  :nonono: 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2007, 04:29:46 PM »
You mean like roseburg logging?  I certainly hope you're not referring to wheelin behind their locked gates  :nonono: 
rosebug logging, yes.
I go quad riding with a friend and his grandpa, they lease land from somebody, i dont know who, for water use and there are spots where thay have to check for clogs in the creek. i go with them and then on some of the other land we go ride for fun. roseburg says its their land and that we cant be on it. its legal to ride on though becasue of the land lease. kind of a stupid situation.

when i get my license im just gonna go to Keswick.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2007, 10:01:28 PM »
when i get my license im just gonna go to Keswick.

To ride the shasta ohv park?  It was better before they extended the river trail through that area :down:
RIP KYOTA

85-4roller [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -92
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Save our forest from the sierra club
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2007, 12:05:35 PM »
Most all changes the FS does are not good.

If you think things are bad now, wait till that tree huggen, Seirra Club loven Hillery gets elected.
Save our forest from the sierra club, they are the enemy of outdoor enthusiast everywhere.