Author Topic: Trail head Fees  (Read 4552 times)

85-4roller

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -92
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Save our forest from the sierra club
    • View Profile
Trail head Fees
« on: Oct 20, 2007, 10:33:06 AM »
Once again the Forest Service  is trying to put the bone to the public! They are proposing to charge fees at areas that were once free. Most of these areas have no ramps or services. Not even a trash can. If the proposal goes through, the public could be charged to launch boats at Edison Lake, Florence Lake and Mammoth Pool or use the Goat Meadow Snow Play Area outside Yosemite. Several previously free campgrounds, picnic areas and Tailheads also would be subject to use fees.
 See the story @ http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/outdoors/story/160376.html

Then, If you care,  send your comments to http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/contact/feedback.shtml

Save our forest from the sierra club, they are the enemy of outdoor enthusiast everywhere.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Trail head Fees
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2007, 09:14:19 AM »
If the fees went back into making the area better for us I'd be for paying but since it never does, fees bad, fees very bad.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2007, 01:53:54 PM »
If fees mean keeping the trails open, then I'll pay the fees.  I don't care if they put the fees to maintenance or to whatever... Long's they keep the trails open. 
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2007, 10:23:49 PM »
If fees mean keeping the trails open, then I'll pay the fees.  I don't care if they put the fees to maintenance or to whatever... Long's they keep the trails open. 
:imwithstupid:

85-4roller [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2007, 06:32:16 PM »
The fees will probably be used to put up more gates to open the trails later & close them earlier.

How about those new doubled green sticker fees ???

When & where will This  Goverment / Forest Service  madness   taxation/ restriction stop!!!!!!!! 
Save our forest from the sierra club, they are the enemy of outdoor enthusiast everywhere.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »
The fees will probably be used to put up more gates to open the trails later & close them earlier.

When & where will This  Goverment / Forest Service  madness   taxation/ restriction stop!!!!!!!! 
Probably as soon as you stop paying the fees and jump the gate, thus giving them more reason to close it all instead of us helping by paying the higher fees.

85-4roller [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2007, 11:41:54 AM »
Yeaa, paying the fees has worked really well so far, all those green sticker fees went to good use  :laugh:

I am not in favor of " jumping gates" but I believe that the public must respond with their comments and not be so afraid of disagreeing with Forest Service policy's and additional taxes/fees. As a long time user of the forest I have witnessed many changes. Since the early 1960s there have been many trails, areas and remote camp spots  discreetly closed, some recently. It seems that the government will not be happy until the forest is completely closed to motorized or pedal powered travel.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2007, 11:47:43 AM »

85-4roller [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »
Nice pic, but it really has no relevant value to the discussion or action required to stop the restrictions or increased taxation on public land use.
Here is somthing that might help. :wave:

Dear Interested Party:
This note is a reminder that the second public input workshop for the OHV Route Designation process will be held this Saturday, October 27th at the Sierra National Forest Headquarters, 1600 Tollhouse Road in Clovis.

The workshop is structured so that you may stop in at anytime between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm to provide us input on specific roads, trails or dispersed camping areas that are currently not identified in the Proposed Action that you want us to include. The workshops are an opportunity for you to meet one on one with Sierra National Forest representatives to provide your input.   

Updated maps were posted on the Sierra National Forest website on October 19, 2007.   They can be found at the following location on the website:

www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/projects/ohv/index.shtml

Both small and large size maps are available.  Hard copies of the maps will also be available at Saturday’s workshop for you to provide your input on.   

In order to facilitate more time for your comments, I’m extending the public comment period until Monday, December 3, 2007.   If you can not make it to Saturday’s workshop to provide input, you can provide comments at the address below or email them to: sierra.route@fs.fed.us

Sierra National Forest
        Attn: Travel Management
        1600 Tollhouse Road
        Clovis, CA 93611

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2007, 02:18:18 PM »
Nice pic, but it really has no relevant value to the discussion
Actually it does;

Example A:
the public could be charged to launch boats at Edison Lake, Florence Lake and Mammoth Pool or use the Goat Meadow Snow Play Area outside Yosemite. Several previously free campgrounds, picnic areas and Tailheads also would be subject to use fees.
At least they are not closing those areas entirely, it costs money to patrol and maintain those areas. So WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA pay the fee.

Example B:
At least they are not closing those areas entirely, it costs money to patrol and maintain those areas. So WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA pay the fee.

And I agree with you here:
Dear Interested Party:
This note is a reminder that the second public input workshop for the OHV Route Designation process will be held this Saturday, October 27th at the Sierra National Forest Headquarters, 1600 Tollhouse Road in Clovis.

The workshop is structured so that you may stop in at anytime between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm to provide us input on specific roads, trails or dispersed camping areas that are currently not identified in the Proposed Action that you want us to include. The workshops are an opportunity for you to meet one on one with Sierra National Forest representatives to provide your input.  

Updated maps were posted on the Sierra National Forest website on October 19, 2007.   They can be found at the following location on the website:

www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/projects/ohv/index.shtml

Both small and large size maps are available.  Hard copies of the maps will also be available at Saturday’s workshop for you to provide your input on.  

In order to facilitate more time for your comments, I’m extending the public comment period until Monday, December 3, 2007.   If you can not make it to Saturday’s workshop to provide input, you can provide comments at the address below or email them to: sierra.route@fs.fed.us

Sierra National Forest
        Attn: Travel Management
        1600 Tollhouse Road
        Clovis, CA 93611

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2007, 04:06:59 PM »
Actually it does;

Example A:At least they are not closing those areas entirely, it costs money to patrol and maintain those areas. So WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA pay the fee.

Example B:At least they are not closing those areas entirely, it costs money to patrol and maintain those areas. So WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA pay the fee.

And I agree with you here:

:yesnod: I agree. 

We can be happy that they're not closing the trails.  Hell I'll pay doubled fees just to be able to wheel, long's we can still wheel :thumbs:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2007, 06:33:48 PM »

:yesnod: I agree. 

We can be happy that they're not closing the trails.  Hell I'll pay doubled fees just to be able to wheel, long's we can still wheel :thumbs:

I am sorry, but somebody has to say it.  If you will pay the fees, then stop complaining that you don't have any money all of the time.

85-4roller [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2007, 07:00:54 PM »
I wish it was as simple as paying the fees to preserve our existing access , but its not , as history has shown. :ha_ha: :ha_ha:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2007, 07:34:33 PM »
you know, you can't just show up and say "OMG the gov't is boning us so hard!! and I have nothing to do about it other than bend over!"

Quite a few of us on this board have spent time SAVING THE TRAILS by going to meetings, sending in letters, etc...So don't pregnant dog to us about how nothing is being done and the fee increase is terrible.  I remember saying I would be FOR a fee increase if it helped keep trails open.

Wake up and realize you have a voice, and then use it to speak to the people who can change things, instead of bitching about the ills or society on a forum.

Try sending a PM to BlingnXJ or FFC...hell...even myself, BigMike or MiniSimp..all of which I know had a hand in helping out.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:30:43 AM »

I am sorry, but somebody has to say it.  If you will pay the fees, then stop complaining that you don't have any money all of the time.

:shake: Puh-leeeze

Like I said, long's the trails are there and available to the public, I'll pay a fee to be able to enjoy it.  I mean we gotta be greatful that, should the fees be applied, the trails are available to us, rather than CLOSING it alltogether. 

85-4roller [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2007, 12:46:09 PM »
Good news ,according to FS staff at the meeting on 10-27-07, the new proposed fees will only apply to some, hiking trail heads, boat launches and camping areas. They also propose to only shut down approximately 200 miles of dirt trails/ roads and restrict the type of vehicular use and/ or the period of use on approximately 970 more miles of trails in the Sierra Nat.Forest. Most of them only go to  primitive camping , hunting, fishing or wood gathering spots. It seems the main 4x4 trails will remain open. There will be another chance for public input on Thursday November 29. 5pm-8pm. 1600 tollhouse road. Clovis CA or you can send your comments to
sierra.route@fs.fed.us

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2007, 01:05:51 PM »
Thank you for the update!!

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2007, 05:27:23 PM »
Hell I would pay 50 bucks to use the Rubicon or pretty much any trail for that matter if it meant keeping them open permanately
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2007, 05:31:36 PM »
if you can't or wont pay to play. you have 2 options

option A:
sit on your couch and shut your mouth

option B:
wheel illegally then pay for bail $ and fines
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2007, 05:50:40 PM »
Paying would keep a lot of rif raf out. Hopefully the money would go back into said trail or area instead of saving some Brown Eyed Apple Maggot that the tree huggers are upset about.
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle: