Author Topic: aussie locker  (Read 36355 times)

toymech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -155
  • Male Posts: 158
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
aussie locker
« on: Oct 07, 2007, 03:20:59 PM »
Ok,im buildin up my solid axle this winter and preping my axle housing this week. I heard good stuff about the aussie locker,im planning on putting one in the front of my truck. How are they on the road when making turns? Im also planning on doing the marlin 3 inch SAS in the front of my truck,how does it look with 33 inch tires? Anybody have this combo on their rig? The truck is a daily driver with occasional trail use since the closure of Paragon. Beenlooking for a new place to wheel so anyone in the Jersey?pennsy area gimme some ideas please.    Thanks    Mike :turtle:
87 Runner-rebuilt 22re,3 inch downey ifs lift,allpro rear bumper,Detroit locked rear with 4.88s,detroit true trac front diff,Marlin crawler clutch,R151F trans,Marlin Crawler 4.7 reduction gearset,33 inch Goodyear MTRs

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: aussie locker
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2007, 03:22:49 PM »
aussie lockers are a great buy for the money. do it.

i have some bad news though...marlin only makes sas kits in 4,5 and 6 inch kits
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

toymech [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2007, 03:26:34 PM »
Tryin to keep my truck legal,so I may have to use some Trail gear crap to git r done. How isthe aussie locker on the street?
87 Runner-rebuilt 22re,3 inch downey ifs lift,allpro rear bumper,Detroit locked rear with 4.88s,detroit true trac front diff,Marlin crawler clutch,R151F trans,Marlin Crawler 4.7 reduction gearset,33 inch Goodyear MTRs

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2007, 03:58:36 PM »
why would you use trailgear to keep it legal? that doenst make much sense at all

as for a 3" lift, any of the commercially made companies, that offer a 3" lift are for usually for buggies..... trucks are usually too heavy to use a 3" spring, you will want the 4" marlins they will settle a little bit and should put you right where you want it at

if you must use a 3" spring, get all-pros springs

you might think you are saving money in the long run with tg, but quality speaks for itself or marlin and all-pro

if everyone sells it for XX and one place has it for X you might think the X is a better deal, until you are let down and find out that that place was cheaper than all the competition by using underhanded sales practices and inferior products they say "are like everyone elses"
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »
why would you use trailgear to keep it legal? that doenst make much sense at all

lift height laws...tg is the only company i know of that offers a 3 inch front spring...rears up front might be a better option though im not sure of the lift on those
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2007, 04:02:39 PM »
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2007, 04:04:08 PM »
:doh:
RIP KYOTA

toymech [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2007, 05:30:18 PM »
Didnt know allpro offers 3 inch springs. Yeah what i meant about keeping legal is if it sticks out too much ill get pulled over everyday,this truck is 90% street driven hence i live in jersey. My front end is ready to fall out and before I waste my  :twocents: on my IFS,ill SAS it. Thanks for all the helps,ill probably buy the Allpro kit then. Id love to go nuts and roll on 37s with a Marlin kit but they closed the only place I wheeled my trucks. I think im going to try Rousch creek when my truck is done.   Thanks

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2007, 05:33:16 PM »
RIP KYOTA

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2007, 05:36:49 PM »
u should go with the marlin 4 inch lift and since ur suppose to run one more inch in the rear for runners just take a leaf off the front, i think ud be happy i have a 4 inch lift with 33's right now. its only temporary until i go a little bit bigger but i like my height and its looks, right now its PErfect for daily driver i couldn't complain about anything. plus im still plenty high enough for clearance yet im stable.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2007, 05:52:55 PM »
STOP 

NJ law 3500ilb class 6" of lift

let me see if i can find the document  will get back 2 U

your good with 4" and 35 bro
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2007, 05:56:38 PM »
STOP 

your good with 4" and 35 bro
he said he was thinking about running 33's. i think it would look funny with 33's. do 35s minimum..well if the law allows. i would do 3 inch springs to keep it low and 35s
RIP KYOTA

Big Pap Dog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 141
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Feb '06
  • A fool and his money are soon parted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2007, 06:52:59 PM »
Didnt know allpro offers 3 inch springs. Yeah what i meant about keeping legal is if it sticks out too much ill get pulled over everyday,this truck is 90% street driven hence i live in jersey. My front end is ready to fall out and before I waste my  :twocents: on my IFS,ill SAS it. Thanks for all the helps,ill probably buy the Allpro kit then. Id love to go nuts and roll on 37s with a Marlin kit but they closed the only place I wheeled my trucks. I think im going to try Rousch creek when my truck is done.   Thanks

Rausch Creek looks good.  I was up there a week ago-- riding shotgun though.  Something for everyone there it seems.  It's just a shame about Paragon.  My truck is on 4" Marlin springs with 37's.  Hopefully it passes PA inspection next month.  I might/might not have to add some junk to the bumpers to keep it in.  Not sure how Jersey compares in regulations.  You might consider Marlin 4" rears and All-Pro 3" fronts (or) rear pack up front if this is going on a 4runner.  They is heavy.  Good luck man.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007, 06:58:36 PM by Big Pap Dog »

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 983
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2007, 07:47:51 PM »
has any one actually EVER test compared MARLIN, TG, AND ALL PRO?  it all sounds like hear say assumptions too me. i haven't found ANY actual comparison tests. i would love to see test results, ones from mutual parties.
4.7 t-case, welded rear, 33s, sr5 buckits, sas sooner than later. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=74399.0

toymech [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys,ill figure something out soon. Right now my goal is to get my axle ready then im buying my kit. Sounds good about Rausch Creek,cant wait to get up there. My truck is locked up nice but I need some flex so SAS is the way to go,plus my IFS is getting pretty noisey.    Mike :turtle3:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2007, 05:34:27 PM »
lift height laws...tg is the only company i know of that offers a 3 inch front spring...rears up front might be a better option though im not sure of the lift on those

All pro!

Support companies that support Marlin!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2007, 05:35:04 PM »
has any one actually EVER test compared MARLIN, TG, AND ALL PRO?  it all sounds like hear say assumptions too me. i haven't found ANY actual comparison tests. i would love to see test results, ones from mutual parties.
Good luck on that. :shake:

subliminaltrips

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 08, 2007, 06:09:14 PM »
back to the aussie topic, i just installed one and its just as quiet as the detroit i have. the aussie was a piece of cake to install.

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:05:48 AM »
ya i want a set for myself
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2007, 11:06:08 AM »
i'm waiting for the v6 aussie to be released
they said august of this year but still have yet to see it on their site..
i love your sig your down to a half of a maverick

73 Maverick(jointly owned w/ lil bro)
64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
92 Toyota p/u 4x4 (dead) resurrecting underway
72 Skylark (dead) resurrecting underway
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:05:17 PM »
so they are going to make an aussie for the v6? i just got one for my solid axel, but for the 4cyl 3rd, i wanted to put a v6 3rd in it  but i dident know they were gonna make em. any one heard anyting on when it will actually be out?
4.7 t-case, welded rear, 33s, sr5 buckits, sas sooner than later. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=74399.0

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 10, 2007, 04:20:33 PM »
so they are going to make an aussie for the v6? i just got one for my solid axel, but for the 4cyl 3rd, i wanted to put a v6 3rd in it  but i dident know they were gonna make em. any one heard anyting on when it will actually be out?

I got sick of seeing production delayed and bought a Detroit EZ locker for my hi pinion front.

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 10, 2007, 06:02:28 PM »
how much did that cost ya?

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 10, 2007, 06:26:19 PM »
IIRC it was about $220 give or take a few. Here's a link to my build up on Zuks site.
http://www.gearinstalls.com/aaron.htm

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2007, 02:20:27 PM »
I just put one in the rear of my truck a week before doing the Con.  I love it, works absolutly great.   I originally purchased it for the price.    I have no issues with it on the street, just drive around for an hour till you see how it is slightly different than the open diff.

You were asking about it in the front axle while on the road.  Do you plan on being in 4x4 on the street alot?  if not, you wont be affected..

:twocents:   :thumbs:
I like to Drive!

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2007, 08:33:24 PM »
what about the v6 aussie?

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
« Reply #26 on: Oct 11, 2007, 08:47:54 PM »
i emailed them back on an update....still waiting for a reply as i planned on buying 2 v6 for rear and making the front hi pinion.
i love your sig your down to a half of a maverick

73 Maverick(jointly owned w/ lil bro)
64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
92 Toyota p/u 4x4 (dead) resurrecting underway
72 Skylark (dead) resurrecting underway
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 11, 2007, 08:52:27 PM »
yeah, i want one for my rearend, detroit is expensive. let me know if u find out.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 11, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
I have kept in contact with AussieLocker on P4x4.com and he has continually told me "Should be about 4 weeks or so" for the V6 Aussie locker. I got tired of waiting so I am just going to buy an ARB.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 12, 2007, 11:55:14 AM »
I have kept in contact with AussieLocker on P4x4.com and he has continually told me "Should be about 4 weeks or so" for the V6 Aussie locker. I got tired of waiting so I am just going to buy an ARB.

I wrote him several times and gave up. It seems the forgot about the V6 Toy guys.