Author Topic: neat headrests mod to my tracker... oh yeah, and a solid axle swap  (Read 20644 times)

Joe S.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 252
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
ok, so i have a 96 tracker, and it has been stock for a while.

so i had to do something, but the components for my bg mod hadnt come together yet... so i started with this. swapped the headrests passenger side for the ones on the driver side.

then ihad to get the ugly molding off the side, so i did.

(still gotta get that tape off the side...)  :hammerhead:

then i wanted to tow a trailer and couldnt, so i had this hitch made up and got it installed.

theni had some neat half doors made, kinda following the example i see on some of the yotas running around...

ahhhhh, then the parts started trickling in....    :biggthumpup:
rear discs

the wheels

had to get some rock rings made to replace the ugly ones...

the suspension

the axle parts

then i had to put it all together...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36790.0

now, i have to start putting it under the truck... so i started tonight taking everything out.   :clap:

and tomorrow, this comes out.

the bling that is replacing it all.

and about where it will be sitting... maybe a little taller.

i am sooooooooooo excited to have a solid axle tracker!!! stay tuned. more to come!

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2007, 10:18:54 PM by Joe S. »
Zuks are more than a hobby...

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
looks good but why a tracker?

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
looks good but why a tracker?

Trackers are pretty popular these days for toyota drivetrain swaps, i see nothing wrong with them...just another overlooked vehicle waiting to be mobbed!!

Looks good so far Joe, keep us updated!
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Thats cool. I like seeing swaps like this on vehicles that arent always SAS'd.

You shoulda seen the Tracker on the rubicon last weekend. Completely stock, open front and rear, looked to have NO transfercase gears and it was mobbin just as hard as anyone else. it was sick.

Cant wait to see this one finished.

RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
thanks guys. i have been hard core samurai for about 4 years now, but i am dating a lady with one kid that is dying to go wheeling, and at least one of mine is always wanting to go, so we just dont all fit in the sami anymore. i had always shyed away from the track kicks cause of the IFS having aluminum housing and thirds. when i saw that trail tough was offering their kit, i jumped on the chance to do it. i was this close -><- to buying a runner, but they just cost so much around here...

got a good bit done tonight...
first came the control arms, shafts, steering and sway bar

then the diff

then the cross member...

man i need to clean that motor...

then we stood back to admire the work we had done... here is FGIALS thinking how far we have come...

awaiting new parts

i opened my box of goodies and i found this brand new subframe! how purty!! :jumping:

to mount said subframe, the frame has to be clean. so i cleaned it.

then painted it

while i was doing that, daniel installed the front upper shock mounts.

then we mounted the new subframe and crossmember. i might add that drilling 12 9/16 holes in the frame of a tracker is the DEBIL!!!

then i realized how late it was and put up, and headed home... now i am off to bed.

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I like the build I wasent meaning anything bad, just wondering.

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
i didnt take it bad. i knew what you meant. thanks!
joe 

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
nothing tonight really. i went out to eat with the kids, then i got the mounts setup for the coil springs, and i got the panhard bar mount installed on the frame. i have a couple welds to do there, and i will be ready to install the axles. i also snugged up the subframe and cross member. hope to be done tomorrow night.

TRACKER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 442
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
here's your twin  with 6"calmini kit......i have more fun in my tracker  than my toyota  running midwest trails

Pride - is what drive a man to do his very best even when no one is looking ..

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
hey nice tracker! ;D

TRACKER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 442
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
nice headrests  upgrade by the way .. go fast with more airflow  :drooling:
Pride - is what drive a man to do his very best even when no one is looking ..

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
Nice build  :thumbs: Now I wish I kept my tracker & did a sas on it  :down:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
nice headrests  upgrade by the way .. go fast with more airflow  :drooling:
;D
Nice build  :thumbs: Now I wish I kept my tracker & did a sas on it  :down:
thanks! i love these things!

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
ok, sorry for the long delay on updating yall on my progress...
i got frustrated with the truck and took some time off, but now i am back on it.

well, the one ebay caddy caliper was bad, so i bought a new one. then i got all the brakes plumbed, and the dang bleeder screw was rusted shut on the other ebay caliper, so i bought another new caliper... got the brakes bled, but it is still mushy. i am gonna try a few suggestions i got from rockrat and see if it makes a difference. if not, i know a guy i could probably swap out his drums for my rear discs. i may do that. dont really feel like getting into changing out master cylinfers... ::)

using a plumb bob, i got the front axle centered tonight within 1/32" and will try to square it with the frame tomorrow. then the next night i get to work on it, i will try to get the rear done, then sort out the brakes and start the break in period on the gears so i can be ready for zuwharrie...  :o it is getting close!!!

is 1/32" close enough on centering the axle. it is actually i think a hair less. i dont think i can measure any closer...

also, if i can get the axle squared to within 1/16" or 1/32" will that be close enough?

thanks
joe

here are some pics. some of these may be duplicates. but i think i delete them from my camera after uploading them....

panhard bracket

on its own feet

rock rings

couple flex shots i made with no brakes...  i maxed out the concrete ramp. :)

and i got a roof rack tonight

i hope to get this wrapped up soon!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
That thing is looking sick!! What gears are you running in your axles?
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
thanks. i am running 5.29s.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Good choice, they give you a lot of tire size options

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
the tracker came stock with 5.12s...

5.71 would have put me almost back to stock with the 33s... i hope to upgrade to 35s next year sometime, but first i am gonna install a second tcase with high range reduction to help me ou ta little more.

well, tonight i got the front axle squared to within about 1/16". i also got the rear axle centered and squared to the front axle to within about 1/8, and 3/16 respectively.  is that close enough to run? or do i need to be closer?

thanks
joe

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
:D

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,69841.0.html

well i got frustrated with the eldorado calipers so i went and bought some monte carlo calipers... brakes are still soft, but now i dont have to worry about getting them adjusted properly...

after the ride this month, i am gonna start the search for a drum brake setup i think. i just dont want to fool with swapping master cylinders on a daily driven rig. besides, the front brakes with drums will be PLENTY strong enough... i want an ebrake.

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
well, friday i got my magnoflow muffler and 2" exhaust added to the truck. i am almost thru the break in period on my gears, so i will soon be able to start playing with the truck some...

sunday FGIALS and i got my CB mounted on the back of the center console. then we got the rock rings mounted. and i might add there are NO blancing issues with the rock rings. ;D

then last night chris at white rhino got started on my sliders. 1.75 DOM  with the shrock style mounts. we will add the 1.5" tube side protection/ steps later but he ran out of tubing last night.

here are some pics:

i had him put some upper gussets on there to kinda helpo reduce the leverage on the tube.

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
tonight, i removed the plastic rocker trim brackets from the rocker panels.

super easy! i took a 1/4" drill bit and ground it flat. then i put just a SLIGHT angle to it. ate right thru the spot welds. ground it smooth and some black paint, and perfecto! ready for my side guards to be installed on the rockers.

ALSO

i drained the first fluid i put in the diffs. i have about 530 miles on the new gears. there were some metal shavings in the fluid. is this part of the break in period? i sure hope that is why they say drain the fluid and add new. if not, i am in trouble! lol

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
i drained the first fluid i put in the diffs. i have about 530 miles on the new gears. there were some metal shavings in the fluid. is this part of the break in period? i sure hope that is why they say drain the fluid and add new. if not, i am in trouble! lol

Yeah some shavings in the fluid the first couple hundred to a thousand miles is normal. no worries

Looking real good, time to get us some real action shots!!  :driving:

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
thanks! i hope to get some next week. we are going to north carolina for a ride, so maybe i can find a good big curb to flex on! heh heh

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
here are a few pics of its shakedown run... need tcase gears. that 1.8:1 reduction makes the clutch hate me! :(  i am planning a dual tcase setup next summer... but i am gonna try to get the tcase gears in my tracker case before then. other than that and needing a couple lockers, the truck did AWESOME!

also, might i add, the White Rhino Fab made rock sliders and rock rings did an AWESOME job of protecting the trucks rockers and wheels... both of which would have been trash by the end of the trip other wise. thanks Chris

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Sweet shots. Looks like a job well done. I have always loved Sammies but your tracker has made me think twice about those little rigs. Done up right they actually look really sick. Nice work buddy. Are you going to get some front and rear bumpers?

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
yes, eventually. my local fab guy is about to start working on a rear bumper with tire carrier for these trucks to start selling... he will use mine as a test bed. i dont want the first couple. that way we can work the kinks out and mine should be right! lol

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
tonight i stopped by White Rhino Fab (www.whiterhinofab.com) and had a bracket cut tonight that will move my spare tire up about 3 inches. this will also convert the 5 on 5.5 lug pattern to 6 on 5.5 lug pattern.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
very nice build man, its good to see people building rigs that arent popular!

Joe S. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '06
  • need a zuki...
    • View Profile
thanks!
tonight i stopped by White Rhino Fab (www.whiterhinofab.com) and had a bracket cut tonight that will move my spare tire up about 3 inches. this will also convert the 5 on 5.5 lug pattern to 6 on 5.5 lug pattern.

ok, so this didnt work out too good.... unless i was rocking a 24" wheel... ::)

so... i worked out a deal with my fab guy and we are gonna soon be starting my rear bumper with swing out tire carrier... that should be just what i need for getting that spare off the roof. :D