Author Topic: where can i find cold air intake or some sort of aftermarket intake/ air filter  (Read 7404 times)

Thor84

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 42
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
I want to know where i can find a cold air intake or some sort of aftermarket intake/ air filter for a 1986 Toyota Pickup 4WD 22RE EFI. I looked at K&N and searched the web but there always seems to be nothing out there.

So I have come to two ideas of why i cant find any cold air intake or some sort of aftermarket intake/ air filter.
1. I am not looking in enough places or the right places or
2. There is no aftermarket cold air intake or some sort of intake/ air filter

Please thoughts ideas web sites.. I was kinda hoping to get a K&N but i cant find any, others brands are always welcome

Thanks in advance   :dunno:
How can i have another Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Cookie Dookie Sandwhich, if i have not had my first Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Cookie Dookie Sandwhich?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
cold air filter? usually draws from down low so it could easily suck water...Think more along the lines of a snorkel if anything.   IMO a stock TOYOTA air filter is best...it was designed for your truck...I really doubt you will find much difference in actual power from adding a hi flow filter...remember more air flow = more dirt flow = bad for engine. I have always run stock filters and whenever i pull them off they are ghost white on the bottom.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Thor84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Yes i know that cold air intakes are lower thats why i also said an aftermarket air intake but for now i  have left stock one on there and the air filter
I think i already know the answer to this question, but K&N air filters are considered high flow right?

How can i have another Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Cookie Dookie Sandwhich, if i have not had my first Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Cookie Dookie Sandwhich?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
but K&N air filters are considered high flow right?

yes. on mine i just removed all the tubing in front of the airbox so there is just a hole on the front of the airbox...works fine for me
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Thor i'f your looking for something on the cheap they've got these universal import kits at Kragen with premade 90* and 45*

You could easly make you own.. even comes with the air filter and the tube. Very simple bolt on application.

When I had my 88' Toyota I made my own out of PVC pipe, worked very well.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
You could also make a hood vent and suck the air in through there...(ie - make your own.  All you need is some glue, some rubber gaskets, and some pvc pipe)  Oh - if you want small but efficient air cleaners, just grab one for a VW Bug (4inch type found on early Bugs and Porsches).  Much easier to deal with than the overpriced K&N.  Smaller, too. 

Of course, an engine like a 22RE won't really benefit much, if any.  Consider the temperature that the exhaust is.  20 or 30 degrees is a blip compared to what's inside the cylinder.   If you want more power, look at good header/free flowing exhaust.  Getting rid of the waste exhaust and heat is generally more effective than messing with the intake.

Thor84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Thank you all so much for the input.
Plekto i have been wanting to get a new exhaust system but i am REALLY tight on money right now, ie i dont have a job at the moment
when i get a job and get some  :bling: i will defenatly look for a good setup and do that next
then work from there. if you guys have some good suggestions on an exhaust system for a 1986 22RE motor that would be great.
mostly im looking for the piping coming from the header but if i find a good deal and have the money ill get a new head

Thanks again everybody

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
What I did is just used the stock air tubing and then went on ebay and found a MAF adapter and filter for $22 shipped. Its no K&N but its a cone filter and I guess its cool. Made my 4runner sound better i guess, gave me a TINY bit more power but whatever, I open my hood and got a bling filter (thats not that bling)
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
go to www.performanceproducts.com and look around they have what u want
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Thor84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
thanks for that link but did not find much on their that was what im trying to find
mostly i want a new exhaust and maybe a new header if not extremely expensive

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile

Of course, an engine like a 22RE won't really benefit much, if any.   If you want more power, look at good header/free flowing exhaust.  Getting rid of the waste exhaust and heat is generally more effective than messing with the intake.
YES. a header and good exhaust is the best performance mod you can do. A good Downey or LC header will work wonders with some 2 or 2 1/4 pipe straight back. If you are still insisting on an intake check downey or PM me I might be able to find a downey intake for you.
RIP KYOTA

Thor84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Thanks Dirtoy. the LC website might work out when i get some cash, ill just have to figure out what im willing to spend
I figured that with http://www.toyotacatalog.net/m1webgear/ProductDetails.aspx?PartUniqueID=820AE102-BCD1-41A2-82C9-CDB9FAB44EFE   and this http://www.toyotacatalog.net/m1webgear/ProductDetails.aspx?PartUniqueID=825F8554-5526-4B98-ACEE-AFD57B01689E    would make total cost around 700 pluis maybe... Tell me what you think of those, and like i said before i dont have any cash right now but hearing what you think would be awesome

Thanks again

<Thor84>

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
both very nice products..im sure you would not be disappointed but they are E-spensive! I picked up a used Downey header for a hundred bucks, then sourced a new high flow cat and flowmaster for dirt cheap on ebay... probably about 500 bucks cheaper than the LC set up
RIP KYOTA

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
http://www.dougthorleyheaders.com/products/sfID1/9/productID/939
I think that's a bit better if you don't have the air injection(have those crummy plates and gaskets that are connected to nothing), since this gets rid of them entirely.  Those plates and oval openings are the reason the old manifold is likely leaking(or will).

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/20-22header.html
This is better, but it's pricey.    You will need to fabricate some sort of heat shield, though, but you can re-use your old one pretty easily.  Anyone got any ideas on this?  Or do you just re-route the spark plug wires and so on with extra long cables?

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
spend your money on the exhaust first.
and mine will definately look bling..... like a SHORT RAM AIR if i stick a cone adaptor on it... as my intake location is o nthe passenger side now.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Thor84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
thanks guys for your imput
Dirtoy i went to ebay to look for some headers and could not find any, so either nobody is selling any right now or i just am looking up the wrong thing
i put in Downey header
and for the flowmaster did you just type in high flow cat and flowmaster?

Thanks abunch

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
you should find many on ebay bud.
or go to the sites themselves.
and if you want a deep tone, go with magnaflow. i have a magnaflow high flo cat in the box still in my room.
my friend has on on his 88 with a magnaflow 40series muffler.
SOUNDS AWESOME!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
thanks guys for your imput
Dirtoy i went to ebay to look for some headers and could not find any, so either nobody is selling any right now or i just am looking up the wrong thing
i put in Downey header
and for the flowmaster did you just type in high flow cat and flowmaster?

Thanks abunch
the header might be harder to find.....

for the exhaust and cat..type in the brand of the product and size , ex - 2.0, 2.25, 2.5

I got my flowmaster hushpower (which is loud as hell BTW) off ebay for around 100 bucks (new) and magnaflow cat for 55 bucks
RIP KYOTA