Author Topic: 1st gen 4runner wont start  (Read 5581 times)

CSAKing

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 196
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Nov '05
  • chucks tears cure cancer...to bad hes never cryed
    • View Profile
    • www.pavementsucks.com
1st gen 4runner wont start
« on: Sep 07, 2007, 07:38:12 AM »
hey yall well i just got a 89 4 runner like a month ago. and tuesday night i was driving it to a friends house and the raido and stuff started to cut on and off then it died in the middle of the road. the battery light had been on for a few days but i didnt think anything of it. so later that night after i called him to come jump me to get it to his house it starts right up yesterday we went to start work on it and it wouldnt start then 20 min later it started. took it to advance auto and the machine said bad battery so got a free battery cause it was under warranty then get back to the house and change it and it wont start again with a brand new battery. Im thinkin alternator but i just wanted to know what yall thought about it? thanks guys for all the help
looking for a 80-85 not built toyota pickup in tenn, nc, sc, virginia can anyone help????

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 1st gen 4runner wont start
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2007, 10:04:19 AM »
im gonna guess  you have a bad  relay  or maybe even the ignition switch itself  is bad
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2007, 10:20:07 AM »
Check grounds. Then check Alternator. Then hope its not and ignition switch, but for kicks, Jump the wires at the starter (with the key in the on position)to see if it fires up. If the jumping wires works, then its ignition switch.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2007, 12:05:45 PM »
if your battery light has been on.... im guna guess your alternator...
mine did that too.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Black Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 198
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2007, 03:58:52 PM »
Sounds like alternator.  Check battery cables for corrosion/tightness.  :thumbs:

Landon

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2007, 09:33:27 PM »
I have a 1985 Toyota 4runner with a 22re motor.  I'm having a starting problem.  My battery and alternator are good.  I replaced my starter about a year ago.  It will turn over forever and then it will usually start.  Once it starts it runs great.  I even replaced the fuel pump.  Sometimes it won't even turn over and all you can hear is the fuel pump running. I think I need to replace my ignition switch.  Can anyone help me figure this out?

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2007, 03:34:10 AM »
Fuseable link & a bad connection at the battery.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2007, 05:53:16 AM »
check battery voltage first. charged battery should be 12.8 volts minimum. clean both positive and negative even if they look clean. I've seen clean looking terminals pass zero voltage. then go from there.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2007, 06:20:25 AM »
I have a 1985 Toyota 4runner with a 22re motor.  I'm having a starting problem.  My battery and alternator are good.  I replaced my starter about a year ago.  It will turn over forever and then it will usually start.  Once it starts it runs great.  I even replaced the fuel pump.  Sometimes it won't even turn over and all you can hear is the fuel pump running. I think I need to replace my ignition switch.  Can anyone help me figure this out?

sounds like a cap, rotor, plugs and plug wire problem you have buddy.

as for CSAKing.... your sounds like an alternator problem or battery problem..
check that yet?
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2007, 09:20:29 AM »
Wow.  My exact first month of ownership.  :)

Replaced the alternator and belts.  Might as well since they have to take them all off to get to the alternator(course it's at the BACK).  Life is good.   I went for a nice unit instead of the no-name junk at AutoZone.  Seems somone had put in one like that before and while it looked fine, it was just burnt up inside.(round and round it goes, no current flows...)

Landon:
Do a compression check.  Rule out a bad headgasket or rings.  If the compression is too low, it'll take forever to start.  If that's fine, check the timing to see if anything's ground off or seriously loose.

sinbob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 185
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Buddy may u hav lots of fishies to chase
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2007, 12:50:40 PM »
I have a simalar problem.  with the key off the dash brake light comes on.  When it is runnin it goes off.  changed the e-brake switch and checked all the wiring.
I am now gonna change the ignition switch since i have to also change the moter.......lololol

Hope this helps u
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2007, 07:12:35 AM by sinbob »
85 flatbed, 22RE,Downey air, redtop, dual 2.28 crawler, high steer, Marlin clutch, 5.29's, ARB rear, lockright front, Warn hubs, wrangler 4" front-skyjacker 4" r-springs w/6" shackels, flip kit, 35x12.5x15 MTR's, sliders, belly, exocage.
:support our troops :usa:
They told me I had to grow old, but they never told me I had to grow up. :cheer:
"life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" :bananasplit:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain :dancing:

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2007, 05:07:22 PM »
i thought that if the battery and brake light came  on it meant bad alternater not just the battery light.
lets not and say we did.

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2007, 10:49:08 PM »
Make sure the battery is good before doing anything else. I bought a "brand new" battery from a battery store, and the next day found out it was a bad battery. I got a free replacement, but it turned out to be bad as well. The guy then upgraded me to a way batter battery for free! So the lesson is, check battery any time there is an electrical problem (load test it and all that other stuff), if you keep getting bad batteries, maybe you can get a better one for free!

Landon

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2007, 11:00:37 PM »
I thank everyone who has responded to my post about my 4Runner not starting! A lot of people are saying check your battery, but believe me I have checked that over & over.
Todd I have my volt meter & I check my batteries even before I connect them, but it sounds as though U have had your share of dead batteries.  Please keep the reply's coming.  I want so bad for my 4Runner to start like a normal Toyota!!!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2007, 11:14:22 PM »
 The starter motor contacts go bad all the time in these gear reduction type starters. They'll act like dead batteries and give no warning and even be unpredictable at times since they may work off and on. The contacts in the starter are replaceable.

One indicator you might notice is that it may not start more often when it's cold or may start more easily when it's warm. Something to consider for sure.

If you're not so inclined to disassemble the starter yourself, you  might have it tested but often times they can check good by the time you get it to where it can be tested.

The solenoid cap does come off easily and you can see if the contacts are worn simply by looking at them. If you get that far maybe even post some pics for more info.  :yesnod:

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2007, 11:19:13 PM »
I didn't even think about that. I guess I did have that problem, I still have the bad starter sitting out in the garage. I got a new NAPA one, and it works perfectly every crank. I like ^ idea.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2007, 11:47:38 PM »
I didn't even think about that. I guess I did have that problem, I still have the bad starter sitting out in the garage. I got a new NAPA one, and it works perfectly every crank. I like ^ idea.
Heck, if you fix that one you gotta good trail spare... :gap: