Author Topic: My first toyota....86 EXT.cab pickup.  (Read 7033 times)

Motorvated

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
My first toyota....86 EXT.cab pickup.
« on: Aug 24, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »
Well I come from the Jeep world *GASP*  had a locked and lifted wrangler on 34 inch LTBS.  here is my new and dream truck though.  Its an 86 Toyota EXT.CAB Pickup.  It has a worked BUICK3800 motor, 7 inches of lift and 33s.  So far its still IFS, but that will be changed soon.  Im worknig on the bed, fixing the rust and than I'll be painting the whole truck.  Im also looking for some 35 inch M/ts for the woods.  Also redoing the interior. Herculined floor and PRP or mastercraft seats.  Enough chat, here are some pictures!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: My first toyota....86 EXT.cab pickup.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2007, 03:46:58 PM »
 :welcome: to Marlin.

Nice 86. How do you like the buick, does it pack a punch? What tranny are you running with the buick v6?
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

sinbob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 185
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Buddy may u hav lots of fishies to chase
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2007, 03:53:12 PM »
Nice trk. 
:welcome: to Marlin.

Nice 86. How do you like the buick, does it pack a punch? What tranny are you running with the buick v6?

Bobbed bed in the works tooo ???
85 flatbed, 22RE,Downey air, redtop, dual 2.28 crawler, high steer, Marlin clutch, 5.29's, ARB rear, lockright front, Warn hubs, wrangler 4" front-skyjacker 4" r-springs w/6" shackels, flip kit, 35x12.5x15 MTR's, sliders, belly, exocage.
:support our troops :usa:
They told me I had to grow old, but they never told me I had to grow up. :cheer:
"life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" :bananasplit:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain :dancing:

Motorvated [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2007, 09:34:25 PM »
I love the buick! With the 4:10s and 33s, she still has PLENTY of power.  She cruises down the road at 75-80 no problem aswell.  It has a nice sound to it.  Maybe one day, i'll throw the grand national trubo on it. I really love the truck..and a bobbed bed is DEFFINATLEY in the future of this bad boy. 

wombat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2007, 09:48:34 AM »
Whats up with everyone running buick 3800's? Is it an easy swap? Body lift required?
Sharp truck by the way, can't wait to see a solid axel under the front end.

Motorvated [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2007, 03:50:36 PM »
The buick 3800 is a strong, well built motor.  As far as the swaps go..I dont know.  It was done by  th eprevious owner.  All I know is it was big $$.  Once I learn about CARBs, I cna adjust the holley thats on there and get a little more power out of her. THANKS for the comments

Motorvated [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2007, 01:13:26 PM »
Im in a pickle so to speak...I have the 33 inch Ats. I was going to use them for the street and run 35s for wheeling. But the more I think about it, I may sell the A/ts (almost brand new) and just buy some nice new 35s.  Any comments on if  I should run two sets of tires, or just the 35s?  Switching tires everytime I want to hit dirt will get old...fast.

Also, im about to order my front bumper.  Need some protection for this thing.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2007, 01:30:54 PM »
  Switching tires everytime I want to hit dirt will get old...fast.

:yesnod:

Motorvated [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2007, 02:48:30 PM »
Now to decide what tires i want for it.  I do mostly mud/trails, not so much rocks. Boggers would tear the IFS up...Im kind of thinking MTrs, or Mickey Thompson claws.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2007, 02:57:45 PM »
Now to decide what tires i want for it.  I do mostly mud/trails, not so much rocks. Boggers would tear the IFS up...Im kind of thinking MTrs, or Mickey Thompson claws.
I would just run one set personally...round here they have a saying for Boggers, " you either GO or you BREAK"   :qtip:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Motorvated [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2007, 04:19:23 PM »
Im not gonna run boggers...I dont see the IFS holding upto the power of the motor, and my heavy foot.  Thinking somethnig a little less aggressive. Bogger is about as agressive as you can go

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »
I would go with either BFG Mud terrains or Goodyear MTRs. Both are reasonably priced and offer excellent traction in most every terrain. I have run BFG muds in the past and I now run Cooper Discoverer mud terrains and I wouldnt recommend the Coopers. They dont offer as much traction as the BFGs i ran before them, though at 8 lbs they do hook up almost as well as the BFGs. My next set of tires will be MTRs though. Several of my buddies swear by them and they really do seem to be the perfect "Do it all" tire. Not to mention they ride nice on the street too and have good tread life, which is something you seem to need as I am assuming this is your DD from your previous question. Also I have talked to a few people that ran Baja Claws and they dont last as long as the BFGs or mtrs.  :twocents:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2007, 07:55:37 PM »
Baja Claws dont last as long as the BFGs or mtrs.  :twocents:
X2 for sure.

LAGEN WAGON

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 244
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Just another slow built truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2007, 09:26:04 AM »
I run 37 Mtrs and this is my third set of them. In my opinion they are the best all around tire for a DD/crawler. If I was to ever start trailering my rig I would buy Iroks for sure
85 EX Cab..30 Spline Longfields+Longs hub gears, 37" MTRs on crawlers..Marlin Hy steer.5.29 Detroit, Hydro, V-6 Tacoma Axle, 5.29 E-Locker, Marlin Duels, 4404's front, Chevies rear, Fully armored, Bobbed bed, Warn XDI 9000, Downey Header 2.5 Exhaust. Blah
85 runner 3" lift 30 spline longs/hub gears shave housing,trussed/armored. 4.88 detroit heims hysteer. V-6 rear axle 4.88 detroit. Marlin 4.7 case fully armored downey hi flow exhaust..The grocery getter.

Motorvated [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2007, 12:17:28 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  My buddy ran MTRs on his wrangler, and I always liked them.  maybe i'll look for a nice set of MTRs...35s no doubt

Motorvated [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2007, 12:27:04 PM »

Got bored....the whole truck will be lback by thursday

Motorvated [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2007, 05:31:38 PM »
Well...here is the other side.  Got the whole front end taped up. That gets sprayed tomorrow.