Author Topic: new to wheelin and yotas with a 10k budget, what would ya do?  (Read 3868 times)

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
My cousin is thinking of getting a toyota and I was curious what others would do..

he wants to get a yota to wheel and for commute to work - something to play in the rocks/mud and do some camping with. If I had it to do over again I'd get a 4runner or atleast an extra cab taco (like this - http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/projects_tacoma.htm#kelly_flats)

Otherwise a runner which means 86 and older? If I went that route I'd look for EFI. An 85 would be ideal since it has the live axle still. I like the new body style runners but the top doesn't come off so...
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 228
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hey Brandon,
tell your cousin good luck finding a straight axle efi truck! They're really rare, at least here in CA.
I agree thou that the cheapest way is with an 85' truck or 4runner. I curius as to how much heavier the runner is, with the top on or off?
1989 x-cab V6, SAS, Marlin dual ultimate crawler, dual arbs, high pinion, 35 mtr's, hot brunette in passenger seat.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Well first off Id buy Redrunners 85 4runner for $3500, its already geared & locked.  Buy a new engine from Lce for what $2000(?)  Id put onboard air on it for about $200.  Longs & pigs cromo's for $900.  Build my own suspension for about $400 total.  Marlin crossover $400.  Steering box Ebay $100.  New 37" mtr for $750.  Build sliders $75.  Total $7025  With all the cash left over Id paint it buy trail spares and a cheap dd econobox and lots of beer for campin'
WT
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2004, 11:11:14 PM by WHITE_TRASH »
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

shep

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Cold.Down.Easy.
    • View Profile
Thought i would welcome myself

yes im the cousin...thanks for the help.. appreciate it!

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I'd just spend it how ever Brandon tells you too. anyone with a 83 like his knows what he's doing! :thumbs:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Brandon [OP]

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I'd just spend it how ever Brandon tells you too. anyone with a 83 like his knows what he's doing! :thumbs:

the thing to remember is it will be a DD and he is fairly new to wheelin, might want to start without a locker just to get to know the characteristics of a lifted yota first. He could buy that runner, pull the detroit from the rear and put in an arb. I dunno..

:confounded:
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
WT took the words right out of my mouth about REDRUNNERS ride  :yupyup: :thumbs:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

Celerity

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Go anywhere, anytime, any condition
    • View Profile
If he's just going to trail ride and take it to the lake, why not get a more common '87 4Runner with IFS ?

Save the solid axles for the serious guys that need them.

Also, I swear to god the cap on the 4Runner weighs 300 pounds.   I can't even get it to budge, I need at least another big dude to help me, and even that is a pain in the arse.  With my girlfriend we have devised a lever and plane system to remove the cap with minimal to-do. 

Needless to say, once it's off it's off for at least a week.

-> Steve
We as humans have 4 obligations to God, Country, and ourselves. Travel. Respect. Learn. Pass on.

shep

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Cold.Down.Easy.
    • View Profile

the thing to remember is it will be a DD and he is fairly new to wheelin, might want to start without a locker just to get to know the characteristics of a lifted yota first. He could buy that runner, pull the detroit from the rear and put in an arb. I dunno..

Cuz, i had a "auborn" locker in my 89 chevy... ( mudd bogg days ) it pretty much made it posi right?

fahrenheit 451

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'd say have him buy my '85 EFI 4Runner for $4k then stick another $6k worth of goodies/work into it   :yupyup:
210k, 38k on an LCEngineering EFI Pro motor with all sorts of new stuff stuck on it when it was installed:
EFI Pro distributor, new balanced injectors, big bore throttle body, K&N FIPK, Jet Chip ECU reprogramming, 2 row radiator with 3 row capacity, starter, alternator, 30lb flywheel, more recent heavy duty clutch and pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing (had a rivet break on the first pressure plate so I stuck in all new stuff), LCEngineering headers, full 2.25" exhaust with their free flow cat and muffler, O2 sensor, battery...
Other bits, 31x10.5 MTRs on black steelies with plenty of tread left, new brake master cylinder, new clutch master and slave cylinders, new calipers, new rotors (one already warped due to the lousy job the shop did installing the brakes that I wound up fixing myself), rear brake cylinders, coarse spline Spicer rear slip yoke and stub, rear ujoint, new fuel pump, driver's side window regulator...yada yada yada...
It does need some love...the front driver rotor needs to be turned, engine has extra wear from installer not setting up the TPS right, Corolla SR5 buckets set in don't adjust well, but I didn't care since I'm the only driver  :thumbs: and best of all, very little 4 wheeling in this trucks life. I'm one of those "use it to get there, not get there to use it" kind of guys. It's been up Top of the World trail a couple times, but that was the toughest duty it ever saw. Lastly, it has stock 4.10s with open diffs, w56 and gear drive stock transfercase so you don't have to redo or undo something somebody else did!
End sales pitch.

Brandon [OP]

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile

Cuz, i had a "auborn" locker in my 89 chevy... ( mudd bogg days ) it pretty much made it posi right?

that's not a locker, that's a limited slip - different ;)

he he, wait till you drive it you'll see..

It is the difference between something that slips like a clutch and somethat that ratchets and hooks up 100% if that makes any sense..

From what I have seen limited slips are basically useless - you will go further in 2wd than you would believe with the locker (tires in the air and still goin..)
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
10k?  that's so much money, i wouldn't know what to do with it  :talkingn:

i'd spend 1500 on a dd, then:

get some 60s with arbs, and 38" SXs
dual t-case with 4.7s in the rear case
swap in a 3.4

then i'd spend the rest on :beer:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Ya 10k isn't really a budget to most rig builders it's more like a pipe dream  :yupyup:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
yeah runner i agree 10k is defanetly a pipe dream to me im scrounging around to get 5 bucks for gas money :headscratch: where does it all go :dunno:

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
no kidding! i can't even afford new tires(cheapies) or to rebuild that front end of mine

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Depends on what you're trying to build?
If it's a beater, then 10k is probably enough. If you want something nice, good luck!

1989 x-cab V6, SAS, Marlin dual ultimate crawler, dual arbs, high pinion, 35 mtr's, hot brunette in passenger seat.

GRM

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Website
If I were to do it over again, I would have started with a nicer truck, with a better interrior than my 85. I would try for a 86-89 4runner sr5 that is CLEAN, or a 86-95 sr5 ex cab, once again clean, with a 22re and 5 speed. That should set him back about 4000-5000. Front there, after he has had the truck for awhile, I would do a rear locker, then probabally dual cases. From there, a SFA, 4.88's, and 33". By then, he should have the ball rolling on what he wants from his personal experience of whats breaking, what trails he cant get up, etc.

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'd go 89-95 extra-cab v6. You'll get the r150f tranny and a bigger x-cab than the 84-88 models! You'll like the extra torque for daily driving and have a good candidate for your needs. Only drawbacks are t-case and ifs but they can be remedied later.
my $.02

supercrawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '03
  • After it's all about "TOYOTA"
    • View Profile
DON"T!!
Just keep your dough in your wallet.
Look around classfied ad like marlin BB or pirate BB.You'll find nice looking and well equipped rigs(some fully equipped)for 4k or bellow 6k. :shocking:
Belive me you'll save lots money and time and less PITA.

dirtyskivies

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
on the PBB i believe 'hersh' is selling a beauty of a 2nd gen 4runner for ~10k?  'bobwilliams' had his (my favorite) flatbeded 4runner for sale awhile back too in that price range...
2002 trd v6 tacoma
1986 4runner type thing
1998 ktm supermoto

shep

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Cold.Down.Easy.
    • View Profile
Thanks guys

Actually a week ago Ibought a 4runner

It came with some good 4 wheelin.crawler goodies too!

4k i spent

now i just need to make some time to go wheeling and go up to my cuz brandons so we can weld together a roll bar...id love to redo the intr, i hate BROWN, but i think that would be a waste of money inless anyone know where i can do black for cheap???

thanks

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
spray can it :yupyup:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Celerity

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Go anywhere, anytime, any condition
    • View Profile

HAHAHAHAH No seriously, Spray can it. Walmart sells woodland camo cheap too.

I got my seats reupholstered for $120.

-> Steve
We as humans have 4 obligations to God, Country, and ourselves. Travel. Respect. Learn. Pass on.

Brandon [OP]

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Thanks guys

Actually a week ago Ibought a 4runner

It came with some good 4 wheelin.crawler goodies too!

4k i spent

now i just need to make some time to go wheeling and go up to my cuz brandons so we can weld together a roll bar...id love to redo the intr, i hate BROWN, but i think that would be a waste of money inless anyone know where i can do black for cheap???

thanks

I got all the goods to spray it  :beerchug:

Just pick out the paint ya want then we can wet sand and spray - or you can go cheap and get a maaco or whatever $99 jobber.

Paint alone for a good job will cost ya twice that.

With all that extra money you can buy me a bender so we can go nuts with a killer cage he he

I got welder, no benda..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

shep

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Cold.Down.Easy.
    • View Profile

HAHAHAHAH No seriously, Spray can it. Walmart sells woodland camo cheap too.

I got my seats reupholstered for $120.

-> Steve

nice.. immma ge the winter kind.. maybe they have it.. black,grey,white camo