Author Topic: BFG AT's - tire shop says they are separating?  (Read 4082 times)

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
BFG AT's - tire shop says they are separating?
« on: Jul 17, 2007, 06:17:08 PM »
I took my truck to the tire shop last week to have them rebalanced and rotated. They did it, and then told me they were way out of round and that the belts were separating. Is there a way to tell if the belts are coming apart, or were they just trying to sell me a new set? The BFG's still have very good depth on them. They are only 1 1/2 yrs old. Any light shed on this would be helpful.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: BFG AT's - tire shop says they are separating?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2007, 06:21:10 PM »
can  you get a pic  of the tires??   im 99% sure  they just wanted  to sell you a  set of tires
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2007, 06:23:32 PM »
Jack up the tires until they just clear the ground then spin them....

Should be easy to tell if they're out of round.......
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2007, 06:28:04 PM »
Jack up the tires until they just clear the ground then spin them....

Should be easy to tell if they're out of round.......
X2
I have had the same problem with the BFG A/T's. They also will wear on the high spots of the tread  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2007, 06:33:28 PM »
What size BFGs are they anyway?

Here's warranty info for BFGs

http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/BFG1.pdf
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

andrew

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2007, 07:39:06 PM »
X2
I have had the same problem with the BFG A/T's. They also will wear on the high spots of the tread  :twocents:
My pass side front is bad now . Older bfg all terrain .

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2007, 07:55:42 PM »
i used to work in a tire shop, some of the guys i worked with and the sales staff, always tried to push products or services on customers that didnt need them... i in no way agreed with what they were doing, but when you are low man on the totem pole, you do what you are told...

i would get a second opinion on tires... if they are seperating, then that is no joke and they should be replaced, but if they arent, then that store is jsut trying to pull the wool over your eyes....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

93tonkatoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2007, 08:17:17 PM »
ok. (sorry, i was out working on the wife's toy - 95 Tercel -but that's another story)

I'm not really worried about the out-of-round, i know that is true by the way it rides :yesnod:.

The size is 33x12.50x15 BFG A/T. What I was more concerned with is the belts separating in the tire. Is there any way to tell with them mounted and aired up? Do at home? Like I said, there is still most of the tread still on the tires. No bald eagles here. been there b4, in my younger years

jimbo74, that's what I am thinking, but you know, just want to try to make sure. 75 mph on the interstate with a trailer  :driving: would not be a good time to find out! :yikes:
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2007, 08:28:06 PM by tonkatoy6497 »

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2007, 09:11:45 PM »
If you look at the out side edge of the tread, you will see small hills forming & the cords coming through. I had problems with 35" BFG A/T's & 33" BFG M/T's.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo

93tonkatoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2007, 09:56:46 PM »
 :headshake: No bare spots, no cords showing. The fronts had started cupping (from wasted shocks. when I took off the driver's side, it almost jerked itself out of my hand when it dropped to full extension), which was the main reason I wanted to rotate them. to let them even back out on the rear.

You talking about the edge of the tire feeling more like a cheese grater than a tire? like i said earlier, i have run tires to the cords before and know that scenario quite well. If there was, I'd just call myself DA, and go buy the new tires!!! :thumbs:

SAVE TELLICO post 491

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
:headshake: No bare spots, no cords showing. The fronts had started cupping (from wasted shocks. when I took off the driver's side, it almost jerked itself out of my hand when it dropped to full extension),
What do you mean "it almost jerked itself out of my hand"  :headscratch:

You talking about the edge of the tire feeling more like a cheese grater than a tire?
No. I circled the area were the tires start to separate. The rubber splits at the base of the tire, not at the top edge of the tread. It will look like something is growing out of the rubber. Like when you plant a seed in the grown & it makes a mound when it comes out of the ground. I hope this makes sense  :crossed:

87 4Runner redo

93tonkatoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
1, The shock had absolutely no resistance to movement. when I removed it, it was totally collapsed. I picked it up and the thing dropped to full extension in about 1/2 a second. was being kinda sarcastic about it pulling itself outta my hand.

2. no, there are no lumps, bubbles,or anything like that. Only the cupping that I referred to earlier. Maybe that was confusing them?

SAVE TELLICO post 491

MarkyB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
 :twocents:

I think they were just trying to sell you tires.

Reminds me of the "quick" lube place I went to years ago.  They squirted a little oil on the pinion seal and then tried to tell me it was "about" to go out. :nope:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
1, The shock had absolutely no resistance to movement. when I removed it, it was totally collapsed. I picked it up and the thing dropped to full extension in about 1/2 a second. was being kinda sarcastic about it pulling itself outta my hand.

2. no, there are no lumps, bubbles,or anything like that. Only the cupping that I referred to earlier. Maybe that was confusing them?
Sounds like you needed Shocks for sure!  :gap:

As far as the tires go. Have you spun the tires on the truck to see if the tread area is tracking straight? Maybe this is what they did while it was on the rack. A slight 'wiggle' in the tread is acceptable but if you notice a considerable "S" in the tread it very well could need replacing. If it is seperated it may also have large area that is even slightly bubbled out in the tread area and hard to notice when sitting still. The best way to check for this is as described above, raise the wheels and spin them on the vehicle. Hopefully this gives merit to what they said since a tire in such shape is obviously dangerous.
:twocents:

I think they were just trying to sell you tires.

Reminds me of the "quick" lube place I went to years ago.  They squirted a little oil on the pinion seal and then tried to tell me it was "about" to go out. :nope:
Unfortunately, some establishments play on peoples' consciences just to make a sale.  :maddest: That really makes me mad since there are honest guys out there doing a good job and making an honest living but no one knows who to trust.  :conf: If this happens to you please report these guys, this is very important to get guys like this outa business so others won't get taken  :yesnod:.

93tonkatoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Will be putting it up on the jack tonight to check that, but going down the road, there nis no "wobble" to the tread. Will post up again after I check it out.

I have run into shops that do business the way you mentioned. They prey especially hard on women who don't "know" their vehicles. :dunno: A couple have tried it with my wife.  :tantrum: Thankfully, she told them that she'd have me look at it.

Yeah, I actually replaced the shocks about a month before I had the tires done. That one, dr. frt., was definitely trash. The rest of them seemed to be ok, but replaced them all anyway.

:driving: a lot better now.

SAVE TELLICO post 491

93tonkatoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Just finished spinnin' my wheels. All four tires vary less than 1/8". It's looking more and more like someone wanted to sell tires.

Thanks all for the input. :beerchug:

now, what was i wanting to work on next?............  :think: , :flamer::driving:

SAVE TELLICO post 491

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
Just finished spinnin' my wheels. All four tires vary less than 1/8". It's looking more and more like someone wanted to sell tires.

Thanks all for the input. :beerchug:

now, what was i wanting to work on next?............  :think: , :flamer::driving:
Sounds OK to me... :thumbs: Glad to hear you didn't get duped on that!  Now on with the build since you have more money for something else but tires.   :gap:

93tonkatoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
well, i do kinda want the tires, i'm runnin 33's but would like to run 35's or 36's. just have to massage the fenders for stuff clearance :flamer: and regear with 5.29's. Maybe some of those Downey bulge fenders, make quicker work.... :santa: :crossed:

SAVE TELLICO post 491

lethe

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
there's a lot of different type of seperations for tires. did they tell you what kind it was? like belt edge, popcorn sepo, etc.
sex is like math. add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs.