Author Topic: new project a 92 toyota doing a sas with about 7 inchs of lift  (Read 1960 times)

mudbrother1992

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Jun '07
  • go balls deep or dont go at all
    • View Profile
hey im doing a SAS in my yoda got everything planed out but what should i watch out for my buddy i good at this stuff so i don't think i have to worry much but just to keep an eye on the little stuff that can be messed up any help would be great

thanks josh
92 toyota pick up
v6 3.0
the new build

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
why do you want/need 7" of lift?  if you're using for rock crawling, you'll prolly want it to be lower.  I've got 7" on mine, and it can be pretty tippy (or course, it is IFS, so that is a facotr  :hammerhead: )  When I go to a SA, I'm going to lower it about 3" I hope.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

mudbrother1992 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
well 7 worked out good for me cause i do alot  more mudding and trails, and we are doing a 40" bogger and tsl setup on it  with a 16.5 tire im thinking and a little wider on the axle to make it a prone to the stand
92 toyota pick up
v6 3.0
the new build

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:thumbs:  fair enough.  I was just curious on why you chose that lift
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

mudbrother1992 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
ya it was all perfect in my eyes because with that tire setup which is a 40inch by 16.5  i wouldnt be to top heavy and tippy like the 4 runners if you get them up their  so im hopping it works good
92 toyota pick up
v6 3.0
the new build

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
high-roller :bling:

how about starting a project thread when U start :hyper:   would also like 2 see some pics

:worthless:

i have a 93 and i plan on the same setup at BD but at 6"    no rocks here in SO NJ
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
I had a 7 inch lift between springs and BD with 38's. I wheeled fine at the Hammers with  it. But there was that one time I had a 35 MPH roll on a flat dirt road  :shake_head: :biggthumpup: But in the rocks it was great.

mudbrother1992 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
hell ya man ill try to get some on here asap i just put on some warn bumpers and a new winch and a smaller after market steering wheel on  today i kind of changed my mind a bout some stuff im not going to do the solid axle i dont see many people run the ifs so im going to try to make the ifs all it can be and if it cant be that then im going to do the sas i have most of the parts already to do the sas but i want to see wat happens so we will find out but i will get you some pic once i get to it
talk to you later man
92 toyota pick up
v6 3.0
the new build

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
Run-on sentence much???  :yupyup: :rofl2: Just messing around  :beerchug:

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
in most minds IFS sucks, but I say go for it,  remember ifs is really really weak  cvs, steering, diff. are all weak points, I have broken diffs and steering arms and cvs on a stock89 with 31s so go figure.

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
in most minds IFS sucks, but I say go for it,  remember ifs is really really weak  cvs, steering, diff. are all weak points, I have broken diffs and steering arms and cvs on a stock89 with 31s so go figure.

............ what where you doing :yikes:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Well it was a v6 extcab 1st shattered diff gears going up a rocky hill. 2nd broke left cv in the mud and hit a hard spot(snap) 3rd  they had a recall on the steering arm,  I got a new one after sheering it off, mid terrain off road, dry.       But thats just me I murder little stock toys, thats why I build them

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile

X2. I went through 3 Cv shafts in less in a month on 33s and I was nowhere near beating the truck. Straight axle is the only way to go.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
why 16.5s? you wont be able to air them down, as they don't have a safety bead like traditional rims... well unless you run some type of beadlock, or just dont care about airing down at all
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
why 16.5s? you wont be able to air them down, as they don't have a safety bead like traditional rims... well unless you run some type of beadlock, or just dont care about airing down at all
verrrry true..

mudbrother1992 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
well like i said i have the straight axle but i was thinking ill give the ifs a fair chance. but I'm starting with replacing tie ends with hyme links well wat ever i can replace with them. and their ain't much i can do about the cvs but well find out and we're looking at some stuff to do with the rest of the steering and pretty much we are beefing up everything we can so........ but i just got some new tires for it to 37" by 12.5 by 15. their the goodyear mt-r's their real nice so well will see how they do, but i have every thing to make this stocker a whole new rig but i just need to do it, so if this setup dont work I'm going to run the sas with the 40.0/16.5/15 boggers and tsl's its just nice that i have everything for both so if i dont like it i can change right away

cant wait but here is a pic of it now after the bumpers and the winch and other little stupid stuff like steering wheel and shift nobe type stuff

92 toyota pick up
v6 3.0
the new build

mudbrother1992 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
well i should have been more technical about it its 16.5 wide  and the reason i would do that is cause in the mud you dont have to air down much so that is most of the reason for that and i mostly do only mud and some trails
92 toyota pick up
v6 3.0
the new build

Redeyejedi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i thought ifs was good for pre-running, baja racing and stuff....while the straight axle provided much more articulation and stoutness for extreme terrain? :headscratch:
alcohol.....the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78234902@N06/

jvministries

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 100
  • Member since Sep '03
  • 84 dual23's elock front/detroit rear 4:56/ and so
    • View Profile
hey I just wanted to add that 33s and ifs work ok together
but with tires bigger than that they aren't much good
especially when lifted
since the cvs are angled more
but most breakage happens under full throttle or full steering lock
both of which happen a lot in the mud
that combined with lots of lift an lots of tire = breakage

the whole front design of the ifs is a good idea but weak when used with larger tires

but let me say my friend Kevin runs 38.5 16.5 15 tsls on a lifted ifs rig wilth zero breakage
but he doesn't wheel it much at all
he is more of a mall\street wheeler
he has ventured out with us a few time and gotten it muddy but nothing major

his truck has a combination of several lifts one being a 3 inch lift with new lower arms and stuff and another being a body lift with the last being twisted torsion bars and blocks. he runs three inches of body lift three and a half of suspension and another inch of torsion plus the tires which makes his truck one really tall beast.
too much spent to go slow
too much spent to stay low
too much spent on the go
but it's fun you know

mudbrother1992 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
cool well we will see i suppose i want to try to make it strong some how because no one who wheels hard runs it and i no why because they think its weak but that is why i want to try to see what i can do to change that and maybe their is nothing but wont hurt to try. ya so im going to try to run a 37 inch tire, and the other day me and my buddie started doing the sas in his truck and asked if i want to buy the whole ifs setup that was in his and i said ya, so i got a locker for the front and when i do the swap ill be able to get ride of the
"add" crap in the front so i think im on to a good start. but we will see who no's i might be doing the sas in a couple months ill keep yall posted

thanks
josh
92 toyota pick up
v6 3.0
the new build