Author Topic: Early 90's V6 4runner....$1400, Good deal? What do you guys think?  (Read 2669 times)

toymachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -37
  • Member since May '02
  • Marlin's the best....its that simple
    • View Profile
HEy fellas,

My buddy has like a 92' or so 4Runner with the 3.0L V6, leather interior, A/T. The other day he said $3000 for it, but yesterday he said $1400.  I figured something happened to it, but he doesn't know enough about vehicles to even know, and he lives at my house, so i know he isn't jerking me around.  I really have no experience with these, just the 22Rs/22REs, and manuals.  He hjad planned on taking the upper end apart because there was a tapping.  I listened to it, and it sounded like only 1 tapping going on, like maybe a valve needed adjusting.  It ran smooth though and idled well.  I know the toy engines are notorious for tapping, but i would think this might be borderline.  From what i have gathered so far the 3VZE is much more difficult to do valve adjustments on then the 22R, so do you guys still think this is a good deal.  I sure do, but i am just wondering.

THe other issue is that i have always wanted to build a 4runner, an old one or newer one.  Right now i just need this thing for driving around because i am moving to Yuma, AZ in a few weeks for a job, and i need AC, because it is smokin' there :maddest:  BUt i figure at some point i could build this, but the A/T and the 3.0L have never seemed optimal to me, so swapping all of that out wouldn't be to bad i am hoping?

ANyway, comments and suggestions would be great.THanks!

JAke
Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!!!

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I would go for it, thats damn cheap... If i have the money, i would buy it myself. But hey, if the engine goes, just swap it out for the 3.4

Oh, and when you have the money, get rid of that A/T

militarty_stang
:respect:

toymachine [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
But hey, if the engine goes, just swap it out for the 3.4

Oh, and when you have the money, get rid of that A/T

My thoughts exactly, but i was tempted to swap it for something big, like at least a 4.3 VOrtec or maybe a LS1 or something crazy.  Unless the 3.4 swap is easier.

Oh, i forgot to add he wants to take the tires, but still, i told him sure deal.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Well an automatic 3.0 is about as undesireable as you can get in terms of a toyota, but if you have big plans of swapping both the engine and the transmission then it sounds like a good deal for ya. I personally wouldnt take on a 3.0 because I have hated dealing with them in the past (my gf has a manual 3.0 and the only reason i can tolerate it is because it was owned by an old man, the second owner, and is in flawless condition), they just seem to have a lot of problems. Of course that isnt always the case but if you are looking for a project and not a realiable DD vehicle then go for it. If i was doing it i would swap it to a 3.4 and a manual, though 4.3s are pretty common swaps too so you have a lot of aftermarket options in that department. its really up to you, i dont know what the interior/exterior condition is like...
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
The 3.4 is one of the easiest swaps you can do fer a yota. The 3.4 bolts up to your engine mounts and will bolt up to your manual when you get one. The only other thing big your going to deal with it getting it in the truck and swaping out the auto ECU for the manual ECU.... plus some wire's and what-not....

With the Chevy 4.3 Vortec, these are getting pretty common and there are a lot of write-up's on the swap it's self. I couldn't tell you how easy or hard the swap will be, but i am almost sure that the 4.3 bolts to our yota manual tranny's...

Don't be afraid of the 3.slow's... yes, there is a lot of hate for them in the 4 wheelin world, but mine has 210K on her, and she is absolutly flawless.... i love my 3.slow, the only thing i don't like is the fact it's not a HP or Torque monster....

Good luck with your new find, and keep us informed with loads of pics and start your self a build up thread....

military_stang

toymachine [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
but i am almost sure that the 4.3 bolts to our yota manual tranny's...

Pretty sure that isn't true, unless you meant 3.4,....for the 4.3 you should need an adaptor, but i am only familiar witht he trannies behind the 4cyl. 

THis will be a daily driver for a little while, then i might build it when i get something elese, or maybe sell it and buy a better suited 4runner with less swapping.  Ive always dealt with the early 80's PUs but have always wanted to move to a 4runner, new or old.

My buddy also has another 4runner....like a 90 or something with the manual and the 22re, that i just had him order a super marlin clutch for, but i can't seem to convince him to give me that one instead......i wish i could.   THen it would be perfect.

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Well if it doesn't then i was wrong :yupyup: ... oh well... i'm not to exsperienced (SP) with that swap, so i don't know... but oh well.. keep all of us updated with plenty of pics....

To tell you the truck too, i would keep her and just start yer build up...

military_stang

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile

Don't be afraid of the 3.slow's... yes, there is a lot of hate for them in the 4 wheelin world, but mine has 210K on her, and she is absolutly flawless.... i love my 3.slow, the only thing i don't like is the fact it's not a HP or Torque monster....

military_stang

Yeah it all boils down to how well the truck is maintained and cared for through its life. They arent terrible engines by any means they are just more prone to taking a :pokinit: if not maintained well.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
The 3.4 is one of the easiest swaps you can do fer a yota. The 3.4 bolts up to your engine mounts and will bolt up to your manual when you get one. The only other thing big your going to deal with it getting it in the truck and swaping out the auto ECU for the manual ECU.... plus some wire's and what-not....

With the Chevy 4.3 Vortec, these are getting pretty common and there are a lot of write-up's on the swap it's self. I couldn't tell you how easy or hard the swap will be, but i am almost sure that the 4.3 bolts to our yota manual tranny's...

Good luck with your new find, and keep us informed with loads of pics and start your self a build up thread....

military_stang
kinda funny  mr ask alot is giving advise  hahahahahaha

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
kinda funny  mr ask alot is giving advise  hahahahahaha

I do ask a lot of questions, but thats only to gain more knowlage (SP) from all you the MC peeps. I didn't know it was a bad thing to ask questoins. And what little information i have, i do try and give when i can.  :thumbs: :yesnod: :yesnod: :thumbs:

military_stang

toymachine [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
So, update:  I drove the 4runner and though it ran real smooth, it knocked pretty loud and had absolutely no power.  I figred it was maybe a loose connecting rod bearing or somehting.  I dont have time to fix alolo that, so i ended up getting a killer deal on my other buddies '95 Toyota Grand Cherokee ;) i like to call it.  Yeah.......so it is my first jeep, which i am not too happy about, but it is in good shape for as much as we used to wheel it, and is very capable onroad, offroad, and is comfortable which is what i will need while i wait to get a car and another toyota project.  No pics right now, but it was only 2500 bones with loeather interior, v8, locker front and rear, dsconnecting sway bars, and other stuff.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Cool. I like the grand cherokees. the v8 packs a punch. what kind of lockers does it have??

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
sounds like you got a deal. jeep boy j.k.

toymachine [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
sounds like you got a deal. jeep boy j.k.

I know i will hear that for awhile....oh well.    What can you do.  It has a lockrite in the front and not a locker, but a posi in the rear.  I've rarely seent he thing not climb rocks its previous owners attempted.....here and there a hang up because of clearance and such, but it does pretty well.   I'll probabal post a pic

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
saweet!!!!! :worthless:

military_stang

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I was just messin.  sounds like a cool jeep.