Author Topic: going to california  (Read 13150 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: going to california
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2007, 07:38:09 PM »
I'm hip man, we noticed on the way back how we saw almost no trash on the highways and it changedthe instant we crossed the river.

I wanted to ask you...are you familiar with the area out past PIR? There's a building out there, it looks like an abandoned dog or horse track. Do you know the one and do you know what it is?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2007, 04:19:29 AM »
Used to be the Multnomah Kennel Club, dog track!  They periodically hold concerts there.  I know what your talking about, but it's been a long time since I was in that neck of the woods!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2007, 08:45:46 AM »
Thanks  :thumbs: it was driving us crazy!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2007, 10:04:13 AM »
HEy I make lots of $$$$ painting those things. I love the outlet stores.

Wayne

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2007, 10:48:05 AM »
HEy I make lots of $$$$ painting those things. I love the outlet stores.

Wayne

I have no doubt those places are the proverbial money tree for the stores. I thought my sister was going to faint when she saw the one on I-10...I was just praying she didn't want to drag me there with her.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2007, 01:08:05 PM »
As for the cow smell, in CA the cows are housed in barns all the time.  Not allowed out in the fields!  There feed is trucked in, and they are not fed fresh grass.  It's silage (corn and grass form of silage), grain and other things that is to help milk production.  So, instead of them naturally dropping their poo in the fields, it all gets piled up in storage tanks that is constantly stirred up to keep it in a liquid form.  So, it tends to smell more!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2007, 01:22:13 PM »
As for the cow smell, in CA the cows are housed in barns all the time.  Not allowed out in the fields!  There feed is trucked in, and they are not fed fresh grass.  It's silage (corn and grass form of silage), grain and other things that is to help milk production.  So, instead of them naturally dropping their poo in the fields, it all gets piled up in storage tanks that is constantly stirred up to keep it in a liquid form.  So, it tends to smell more!

man thats just NASTY    why dont the let the poor critters  out  in the sun  like it shows  on the "happy cow"  commercials :snare:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2007, 01:28:22 PM »

I remember farm ads from when I lived in Iowa...silage is a pretty industry specific word. I ought to try and use in more. The smell is still burned into my memory...days later. I still haven't heard (or I missed it!) do the locals EVER get used to it? Oh...one more thing. The polite used of the word "poo" while understood on this forum is as far from reality as it can possibly get. Patties of death is more appropriate! Are you near San Jacinto?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2007, 01:33:32 PM »
"patties of death"  :rofl:   

but thats  my point  they AINT patties  they are the "anti patty" 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2007, 01:35:41 PM »
Hmm, one for the old timers...would that be Patti Duke?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2007, 01:54:58 PM »
Happy cows!  Yeah right, I was looking for those lush green fields last summer.  All I saw was brown fields and barns full of stink cows!  I just wanted to get back home to Tillamook, OR! 

As a matter of fact I am surrounded by farms at my house, one right across the street, and NO smell!!

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2007, 01:58:52 PM »
yea  the  farms  around here  are lush green pastures  and HAPPY  cows  :yesnod:

reminds me of the song   "yippie cy ya cow pattie,   she rode into town to find the man that killed her daddy"

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2007, 02:01:20 PM »
Happy cows!  Yeah right, I was looking for those lush green fields last summer.  All I saw was brown fields and barns full of stink cows!  I just wanted to get back home to Tillamook, OR! 

As a matter of fact I am surrounded by farms at my house, one right across the street, and NO smell!!

I drove a dump truck for a couple of years when I lived in Iowa. One summer day the truck broke down in fromt of a hog operation. Up until the other day that was the worst thing I ever smelled...but it was like a spring day compared to what I smelled the other night.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »
yea  the  farms  around here  are lush green pastures  and HAPPY  cows  :yesnod:

reminds me of the song   "yippie cy ya cow pattie,   she rode into town to find the man that killed her daddy"

Hmm, I guess that one didn't make the Tucson Top 40!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2007, 02:05:31 PM »
:rofl:  yea  i cant  remember  all the words  but  she "rode"  a moped  named  "flash"  and  when she found the guy  she was looking for  they did the ole  20 paces thing  then DRAW

well he slipped  in a cow pie  and she shot him dead  :rofl:

".........gotta  watch your step when the chips are down"

:rofl2:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2007, 02:21:02 PM »
I think Glenn has been smelling too many cow patties!   :rofl2:

The worst smell I ever experienced was at a rendering operation!  I still want to  :puke: thinking about it!

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2007, 02:30:51 PM »
i had  to pickup  a trailer   some guy had  abandoned  when i was  hauling  produce   coast to coast,  i bob tailed  the rig  down to south arkansas  and  was looking for the trailer,  "should"  have been a white  48 foot reefer trailer,  i couldnt find it  but  as  i pulled closer to a green looking trailer  i saw the paint looked "funny" :eek:

yea  it was flies  on it,  :yikes:   dude  had  quit  the company  because the reefer unit  quit  and he was scared  to call and get them to have somebody fix it,  so it had been sitting there  for 2 weeks  with  what used  to be a load  of frozen steaks
THAT   smeel  was almost as bad  as the smell of  burning flesh  on 9-11