Author Topic: J-Arm Ball Flip info  (Read 98132 times)

lal357

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Nov '03
  • are we there yet are we there yet
    • View Profile
Re: J-Arm Ball Flip info
« Reply #60 on: Nov 29, 2007, 04:25:32 AM »
i bought some edlebrock sas shocks for my sons bronco and they are mounted upside down from summit cheap might want to look into them
80yota 22r 32/36 weber,header,custom bed,4.88 spooled rear Aussie front ,63" chevies,cage,yada,yada

oztoy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Dec 08, 2007, 04:48:25 AM »
Hi looking at doing the ball flip on my j arm when we came up with the idea of using tie rod ends instead
This would involve removing ball on j arm an on steering box an inserting tappered sleeves into the holes which would suit a suitable heavy an common tie rod end an then making rod to suit
Just wondering if anyone else has tried this type of idea

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #62 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:19:57 AM »
Hi looking at doing the ball flip on my j arm when we came up with the idea of using tie rod ends instead
This would involve removing ball on j arm an on steering box an inserting tappered sleeves into the holes which would suit a suitable heavy an common tie rod end an then making rod to suit
Just wondering if anyone else has tried this type of idea
not that I have ever seen.  you will lose clearance between the drag link and the shock if you do this, as a TRE will be larger than the drag link currently is.  I do not see any advantage to doing this.

oztoy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Dec 09, 2007, 01:56:44 AM »
not that I have ever seen.  you will lose clearance between the drag link and the shock if you do this, as a TRE will be larger than the drag link currently is.  I do not see any advantage to doing this.
Tie rod end will have the nut on the underside of the j arm which will increase the clearance an lift the new drop link up so that it lines up straighter with the arm on the steering box

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #64 on: Dec 09, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »
What I mean is the body of a TRE is larger than the body of the drag link.  you will lose lateral clearance with the shock.  also, by having a nut below the J-Arm, you may not have enough clearance to run a ubolt flip.

Tie rod end will have the nut on the underside of the j arm which will increase the clearance an lift the new drop link up so that it lines up straighter with the arm on the steering box

Actually, having a nut down there VS having a weld down there will decrease clearance.

Nate D.

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Dec 10, 2007, 09:33:22 PM »
or if you have 700 dollars just get some high steer(im taking to rex on this one) :gap:

hobiesbestfriend

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:17:53 AM »
no.  you do not install shocks opposite of the way they are designed to be installed.  I am not worried; It's a $13 shock, and all the wheeling I've done until The 'Con, it hasn't caused a problem.

The only reason shocks need to be mounted the way they were designed is for clearance or mounting style.  That being said, if clearance is the problem and you're willing to install new shock mounts, then by all means go ahead and flip em.

slacker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 796
  • Member since May '07
  • Master Mould Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Dec 15, 2007, 05:48:29 PM »
I'll be doing this again soon  .. for a 3rd time !   i'm not a "rock crawler "   
I wont EVER buy hi steer ..
TREKKER PARTS
86  "shop truck"  lots of fiber parts . 
84 2WD wide body "hotrod"  1GZ
83 3.4L S/C Trekker SR5
82 Mirage  #001
83 Mojave #465
86 3.4L twin turbo Mojave tribute

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #68 on: Dec 15, 2007, 05:52:25 PM »
I'll be doing this again soon  .. for a 3rd time !   i'm not a "rock crawler "   
I wont EVER buy hi steer ..

why again? Are you having breakage issues or different trucks?

slacker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 796
  • Member since May '07
  • Master Mould Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:21:44 AM »
different trucks  , NO issues ..
TREKKER PARTS
86  "shop truck"  lots of fiber parts . 
84 2WD wide body "hotrod"  1GZ
83 3.4L S/C Trekker SR5
82 Mirage  #001
83 Mojave #465
86 3.4L twin turbo Mojave tribute

lal357

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Nov '03
  • are we there yet are we there yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Jan 27, 2008, 05:30:10 AM »
did it a few weeks ago so far like it .i like the angle of my zbar almost perfectly straight now if put the old bar back on might be perfect with that said it seems to steer easier on the street i figure that is from it being  perpendicular and not binding anymore. i should have took pics of the before and after but oh well
80yota 22r 32/36 weber,header,custom bed,4.88 spooled rear Aussie front ,63" chevies,cage,yada,yada

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #71 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:19:04 AM »
Glad it worked out for ya. :thumbs:

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #72 on: Jan 30, 2008, 01:04:15 PM »
The only reason shocks need to be mounted the way they were designed is for clearance or mounting style.  That being said, if clearance is the problem and you're willing to install new shock mounts, then by all means go ahead and flip em.

Not correct.  It entirely depends on the shock.  Some shocks can, some can't.   (Well, you can run it upsidedown, I did.  After alittle time, it was like not having a shock on at all.)  Flipped it back around.. Shocked worked.
These were the ES 3000

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #73 on: Jan 30, 2008, 01:08:38 PM »
Not correct.  It entirely depends on the shock.  Some shocks can, some can't.   (Well, you can run it upsidedown, I did.  After alittle time, it was like not having a shock on at all.)  Flipped it back around.. Shocked worked.
These were the ES 3000

:psss:  That's why I left that one alone.

toyofan7987

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since Jan '07
  • yoter boy till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Mar 20, 2008, 09:08:53 PM »
what is the reason for the ball flip ?? is it a way to avoid hysteer?? or to improve on it ?? is it done to the stock push pull??
any answers please

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Mar 20, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »
It is done to the stock J-arm, Hy steer is much better but if you cant afford that then the ball flip works very well.  Less stress on steering parts when the ball flip is done on a lifted toyota.  Read through the whole thread and you should find all answers that you have about this mod
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

toyofan7987

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since Jan '07
  • yoter boy till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Mar 21, 2008, 08:37:52 AM »
It is done to the stock J-arm, Hy steer is much better but if you cant afford that then the ball flip works very well.  Less stress on steering parts when the ball flip is done on a lifted toyota.  Read through the whole thread and you should find all answers that you have about this mod

thanx

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #77 on: Apr 02, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »

i read thru it... i didnt see anything on if it works with RUF's.
just that a new drag link or a modified drag link is needed.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Homefries

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Apr 02, 2008, 04:42:52 PM »
I have RUF with about 3" of lift and it works fine.  If you have the u-bolt flip kit then you will need to cut the ends of the bolts down to keep the J-arm from hitting them.  That's what I had to do on mine to make it work.  :twocents:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #79 on: Apr 02, 2008, 05:04:23 PM »
I have RUF with about 3" of lift and it works fine.  If you have the u-bolt flip kit then you will need to cut the ends of the bolts down to keep the J-arm from hitting them.  That's what I had to do on mine to make it work.  :twocents:

2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Apr 04, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »
I am thinking about swapping my rear springs up front this spring.  I plan on building a pack with no more than 3 inches of lift, preferably less.  I really do not need a lift, because thats what hammers, saws, and welders are for.  I just want a nice riding, super flexible pack.  I was wondering I can just run a flipped ball joint, or will something like this have too much flex for the steering system to handle, especially since I will have to shorten the drag link to do the spring swap.  I really cannot do a high steer either because I would really have to do my homework and alot of work to make it clear since I am not lifting it alot.  So what do you guys think I should do?
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #81 on: Apr 04, 2008, 02:11:16 PM »
you better stock up on J-Arms...short drag link will make it bind, without even having to travel very far(droop) and you will break it if the suspension is flexy.

nhyota603

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 77
  • Member since May '07
  • I understand you jeep thing tha why I drive a yota
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Apr 04, 2008, 02:38:15 PM »
my shocks are mounted shaft down. itsnt that really the only way to see if your shocks are blown out. you see oil leaking and you kniw right. besides having no preasure

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Apr 04, 2008, 02:47:39 PM »
I am thinking about swapping my rear springs up front this spring.  I plan on building a pack with no more than 3 inches of lift, preferably less.  I really do not need a lift, because thats what hammers, saws, and welders are for.  I just want a nice riding, super flexible pack.  I was wondering I can just run a flipped ball joint, or will something like this have too much flex for the steering system to handle, especially since I will have to shorten the drag link to do the spring swap.  I really cannot do a high steer either because I would really have to do my homework and alot of work to make it clear since I am not lifting it alot.  So what do you guys think I should do?

wouldnt a dropped drag link work well for this? i know you will also be flipping the ball, but i see several rigs using both setups, some very mildly lifted
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Apr 04, 2008, 06:01:02 PM »
That draglink will be mighty short!  :gap:  You might consider moving the steering box forward to not have to shorten the draglink...but if you do that you might as well go for hysteer since it'll be about the same amount of work. Probably doable though if you plan on keeping the stock box anyway.  :dunno: If anything it'll get you warmed up for doing the IFS box set up.  :cheese:

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #85 on: Apr 15, 2008, 08:37:42 AM »
you better stock up on J-Arms...short drag link will make it bind, without even having to travel very far(droop) and you will break it if the suspension is flexy.

If it doesn't break, it will at least bend.  :D    STock up on drag links too!

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #86 on: Apr 15, 2008, 08:40:32 AM »
my shocks are mounted shaft down. itsnt that really the only way to see if your shocks are blown out. you see oil leaking and you kniw right. besides having no preasure

Wrong thread.  Depends on the shock.  Some shocks are not meant to be ran "can up" and will lose pressure over couple days.

jsyota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2008, 10:02:23 PM »
Duffil                                                                                                                                    Ive done a solid axle swap on a 91 yota and was wonderin if the stock pitman arm can be done like the j arm flip? ( by grindin and pressin the ball out of socket?       :crossed:

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2008, 10:57:44 PM »
you can buy one from MC for $69.
If you wanted to chance it, you would have to remove quite a bit of material...the ball in that thing is like 1 1/8" or so...

I remember someone offering a weld in insert to make a Chevy 1 ton TRE seat properly in a Toy pitman arm...if it were me, I'd just buy a new arm, but anything can be done.

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2008, 01:05:23 AM »
I need to do this once I build my front packs. Or have someone do it for me, since I have very limited welding experience. Good thread! :thumbs: