Author Topic: Stolen '82 in Fresno (FOUND!!!)  (Read 12178 times)

82juguete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Stolen '82 in Fresno (FOUND!!!)
« on: Apr 17, 2007, 08:02:46 PM »
I never thought it could happen to me.  I came out of my last class of the day at around 3:15PM yesterday to find that some b*std decided that he had the right to take something that I had 100's of hours and dollars invested in.  I'm genuinely sick, and disgusted and keep replaying in my head somebody climbing into MY freakin truck and just taking it.  It's a white 1982 toyota ex-longbed pickup with no plates,(got those stolen earlier) It has a red 5 in the rear window, I bobbed the bed about 12'', 4'' lift, 33''s on eagle alloys, custom rear bumper with d-rings, custom front bumper with 3 offroad lights, basically stock interior.  I spent about a year just researching and trying to find the perfect truck...I finally did, very straight, A/c, rebuilt motor...and poured my freakin heart into it for the last 5 months...Damn...what a downer....seriously has me contemplating my passion for building trucks and cars.  My next security system isn't even going to deter theft...thats pointless....im out for blood now.

Ill post some pics in a little while...anyone in the fresno area please keep an eye out...thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007, 09:02:47 PM by 82juguete »

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen '82 in Fresno
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2007, 08:07:47 PM »
Sorry, I cant believe how many trucks I see on the west coast getting stolen.  Its crazy.  Makes me happy I am in backwoods Virginia.

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »
Keep in mind this was before the front tube bumper with lightbar and 3-6'' lights

Nice to know such a clean DD is probably a smoldering pile of sh*t by now...I know I'm being cynical but looking at these pics is just making this worse.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2007, 08:54:19 PM »
That really sucks dude :down:  Too bad it doesn't have plates on it, but then again, that could be a blessing in disguise, get the bastid pulled over :crossed:

Any other distinguishing marks?

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2007, 09:04:04 PM »
Just that bright yellow vonzipper sticker on the drivers side vent window...yea...hopefully no plates could lead to them getting pulled over, but when my dad came to pick me up we searched all the parking lots and the surrounding neighborhoods...nothing.  I know thats probably more than the campus police is going to do so, nearing the second night of not hearing anything im losing hope fast.  only potential is the cop said theyve been getting a lot of joyriders or something, and stolen cars were showing up on the other side of campus unharmed that same night.  We'll see...

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen '82 in Fresno (FOUND!!!)
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2007, 09:15:24 PM »
GOD ANSWERS PRAYERS!!!  So my dad got a random call today, and some lady told him that she found the registration for an 1982 toyota pickup with our number on it in her front yard....What are the odds???  So my dad said he would go and pick it up from her.  After he got it he cruised around a little bit and headed upwind from the ladies house(The wind has been crazy here lately)And spotted my truck a couple blocks up from her house.  He called the cops, yadda yadda, they dusted for prints and asked me about how much my stereo, speakers, etc. were worth, since amazingly thats all they took, well that and the badass optima battery which was a couple weeks old.  But I cant really even complain though, i mean I still want to string the bastards up, but at least they didnt chop it up or burn it.  The only aftermath is a belt squeeking like hell, slightly busted up dash, and a steep lean in the suspension from passenger to driver side(Cant figure that one out) It was kindof like that before, but it got a lot worse.   Anyway, I'm just glad to see her home, and consider myself veeeery lucky to have things work out.  Thanks for all the sympathy...and you can bet this thing will be a fortress before I start driving it again.

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2007, 06:27:37 AM »
 :bananabeer: :banana: :drunk: :hyper: :hyper:
Thats awesome man.
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2007, 09:49:12 AM »
Freekin awsome :woohoo:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2007, 06:42:03 PM »
:woohoo:  glad you got it back! :woohoo:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2007, 07:01:48 PM »
Wow. Just saw this topic, glad you got it back. Were you driving it yesterday afternoon around 4:30pm east bound 180 approaching Clovis Ave?

I came out of my last class

From which school? College? If so, then FSU? FCC? CCC?

What security measures were in effect when the truck got stolen? Any kill switches, alarm, club, etc?

Thanks in advance
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2007, 07:51:28 PM »
Bigmike...nope, wasn't my truck you saw yesterday, that's about when my dad found it parked on palm just north of olive.  Yea i go to FCC, so it shouldn't be a surprise...oh yea and after talking to the campus police, it sounds like car thefts have been a nearly daily occurrence.  It was stupid on my part, I havent taken the time to put an ignition cutoff, etc., but Ive only had the truck since about January, and was all amped about working on other stuff on it, you know?  It takes something like this to really open your eyes, so don't count on me making the same mistake twice.  I've got multiple ideas for making sure this truck stays in my possession now.  BTW, you have 5'' springs right?  Apparently during their little joyride they managed to bend a rear spring (probably inevitable because I removed a leaf from the stiffass procomps) so looks like im in the market for springs now, if i want to take away that gangsta lean my truck now has. 

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2007, 09:10:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I keep seeing a white 1st gen over here in Egypt (Super North-East Fresno).

When I was back at FCC, I remember the Rampage news letter would show a list of vehicles stolen each month, but it was no where near 30. That is crazy. I drove my MR2 back then, and I had a coil kill switch and a red club.

We sale 5" springs, but I would recommend stopping by the shop to see how they compare to yours. Do you think your belts are squeaky due to excessive RPM? :nerv:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2007, 09:20:19 PM »
It takes something like this to really open your eyes, so don't count on me making the same mistake twice.

I completely understand this feeling. One night I was working alone at the shop on a Supercharge engine swap on my buddies 1987 MR2. I had the front gate closed and locked, and my MR2 was parked within it. I was expecting Marlin to return from out of town around midnight. I remember that it was about 1am and I was inside the engine bay with the hood down relocating the hood latch to install a SC engine lid, had the helmet on and was welding, when I heard the chains on the outter gate rattling. I stopped, listened closely, assumed Marlin was back, and then kept welding, forgetting to even check if Marlin had indeed returned or not.

I ended up so involved in my work, that I didn't even think about "where is Marlin", and around 3am I cleaned up, locked the shop down, and as I was walking out to my car, I noticed that my dome light was on. I thought, "dang that sucks, poor battery" and as I got closer to her, I noticed that my door was ajar! He/they went through the entire cab: Glove Box, pulled stuff out from beneath and behind the seats, and even looked under my floor mats. He stole a $249 Aiwa CD player and a couple CDs. The stupid thing was that I never mounted it firmly, and he could have just removed two simple phillips screws, but instead decided to prybar the entire dash and I ended up replacing almost everything.

It must have been the next day that I purchased and installed a $99 alarm system from The Good Guys. Never had any trouble since.

BigMike

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2007, 10:04:07 PM »
You know, right around downtown clovis I've seen a white 1st gen just like mine...had to double take even, but he's got some trail-gear decals on the side.  Anyway, yea I was probably exagerating on the cars being stolen daily thing, but its still a problem for sure.  Same thing with mine, the stereo was nearly falling out, the sleeve wasnt bolted in, the whole thing was just wedged in, yet they had to bust out everything except the thermostat controls.... they completely jacked up my passenger side lock too and its like, dude....trust me it shouldn't have been that hard to get in.  Sad but true.  The idiot(s) even left their weapon of choice in my bed too, a little prybar/tire iron, so if I ever find them, you know right where that thing is going!

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2007, 10:11:29 PM »
oh yea, and also I was actually inquiring about what size springs you are personally running...  I have 33's now, so obviously 4''ers should be more than enough but....  I don't know, I was going to go the chevy route, keep it cheap and see how I liked them, but I know its a gamble and a compromise, performance-wise, so I might just splurge on some marlins now...less mods and all, since its kind of urgent.  What do you think?

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2007, 10:35:06 PM »
I've got 4" springs on mine, but I also have a 1" body lift (due to former engine clearance issues).

I don't have many pictures on this laptop, but here is how 37"s fit. It looked just as good with 35s, so 33s without a body lift would be a good match for our 4" springs on a 1st gen :thumbs:

(the 4Runner has our 4" Rear springs with Rancho 3" front springs, on 34"s)

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2007, 05:00:35 PM »
dude, you are soooooooo lucky you got your truck back. If my truck was stolen I would go ballistic. I think if I found the guy I would go nuts and break every bone in their body.  Looking at the dates on the posts, you got your truck back in a day or two? Thats pretty fast! Other guys on here have had their trucks missing for months and are having no luck. You are a lucky guy. Take care of those yotas! I fear for mine every time I park. I need to get a security system going, I have all the parts for the electromagnetic one in a post on this board.  I need someone to help me with the switches though becuase I am stuck on it.  I have put too many hours and too much money and lost too much blood to have my truck stolen.
 :beer:
by the way. chevys kick ass. especially for the price. go figure, HELLA people have them. they flex real good and ride nice, in my opinion
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

1983HILUXSR5

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 13, 2007, 09:34:02 PM »
Here's the deal with anti-theft.I have a grant steering wheel w/ the anti theft set-up to detach the steering wheel when i leave my rig.No wheel no steal!! If any one is interested i purchased this set up from pep boys,look their first if not try another auto parts store that sells grant or try their online site.I have mine installed on my 83 hilux and got many props for this!! Plus i have half doors so this is very much needed!! I'll post pics if any one asks for them :thumbs:
built 1983 toy shortbed SR5 Hilux . waaaayyy to many goodies to list !

lickady split

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Jun '08
  • THE POND SCUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 30, 2008, 02:46:12 PM »
dude glad u found it i live in clovis and go to reedley college doing the catipillar program and me and my buddy r opening a fab shop called fatkidskickrocks4x4 and i roll around with me driver side door off and nobody messes with my truck thank god but yeah dude glad to hear but this shows u what kind of jackasses r out there if i caught somebody going through my truck i would be in jail for man slaughter but im glad to hear the news

jared from toys-4-fun.org
have no fear jeep its pond scum here to pull u out

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 30, 2008, 09:22:59 PM »
Kill switches guys, at least install a kill switch for the sake of your own property :_order:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 30, 2008, 09:56:44 PM »
How bout using a tethered kill switch like on boats, personal watercraft, etc? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 30, 2008, 10:00:32 PM »
:idea: That sounds like a pretty nifty idea! I never even thought about it before

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 31, 2008, 11:00:51 PM »
One of my old bosses had a keyhole in the front fender on his 69 chevy work truck.  He could turn it on or off, so in order to steal the truck they'd have to pull the fender to bridge those wires, which for most would take too much time.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 31, 2008, 11:11:12 PM »
One of my old bosses had a keyhole in the front fender on his 69 chevy work truck.  He could turn it on or off, so in order to steal the truck they'd have to pull the fender to bridge those wires, which for most would take too much time.

this might work... but i can easily access the backside of my fender.......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

IrieKidinCal

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:03:50 PM »
I have an Anti-Theft device.... It works well! Mr. 9mm holds 15 rounds per clip. If I caught people stealing my rig/rigs I will get those two clips off faster than Obama got Elected. Fair warning to anyone in the 559 area is feeling like they want to take something thats not theirs.  Glad too hear you got it back man!!! Thats great news!!!!! :beerchug:

86rustbucket

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #26 on: Jun 07, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »
15 round clips are illegal in cali,pop those off in your front yard at some idiot trying to steal your cb, hell be laughing while your getting toted off by piggys

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: Jun 07, 2009, 06:11:05 PM »
only illegal if purchased after 2000.  burden of proof is on the government, not you.  :biggthumpup:
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 07, 2009, 07:24:25 PM »
really a "clip", its a magazine not a clip. A clip holds you girlfriend hair up or a bag of chips closed.
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

hilux-1983

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 07, 2009, 08:34:34 PM »
Here's the deal with anti-theft.I have a grant steering wheel w/ the anti theft set-up to detach the steering wheel when i leave my rig.No wheel no steal!! If any one is interested i purchased this set up from pep boys,look their first if not try another auto parts store that sells grant or try their online site.I have mine installed on my 83 hilux and got many props for this!! Plus i have half doors so this is very much needed!! I'll post pics if any one asks for them :thumbs:
Dude!!! post pics, post pics. I was in class at a local community college for about 1.5 hrs. When I was walking towards my truck, what I thought was my driveline hanging down, was my exhaust. When I further inspected what was wrong, they had used a sawzall to cut out my cat conv. Yeah, my whole truck wasn't taken but I think the feeling is the same when someone molests our "TOYS". I will start school again soon so I'd like your suggestion about taking the steering wheel into class with me.
82juguete, glad you got yours back! Yes, The Lord answers prayers of the righteous man.....
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org