Author Topic: Headlight Conversion Roundeyes  (Read 19981 times)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Headlight Conversion Roundeyes
« on: Apr 13, 2007, 08:01:24 PM »
Anyone here know anything about the Roundeyes  conversion? Just curious....  thanks

http://www.roundeyes.com/Toyota_Headlamps-Rectangular_Toyota_Conversion_Headlamps.html
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight Conversion Roundeyes
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2007, 09:34:35 AM »
I've never heard anything bad said about them. I'm pretty sure tho that hella makes something very similiar and instead of $100 for set, they're like $70 or $80. Something you might want to look into. Also there's a big thread over on pirate right now talking about the roundeyes. Check it out.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432218
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2007, 09:46:30 AM »
it saes it is dot legal, but i doubt it, there are special criteria for lights including cutoffs and the way they are fluted.... i would like to see where the dot markings are on the roundeyes lights, there probably arent any even if they use dot legal bulbs....

i have a set i got from procarparts.com which are completely clear and they were only $30 for the pair.... i know they are not legal....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2007, 10:44:55 AM »
No, I'm pretty damn sure they're DOT approved. You're the first person I've heard question that.  :dunno:

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2007, 10:48:47 AM »
I think you are underestimating the quality of these lights, which are top notch.  :_order:

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2007, 01:18:43 PM »
it saes it is dot legal, but i doubt it, there are special criteria for lights including cutoffs and the way they are fluted.... i would like to see where the dot markings are on the roundeyes lights, there probably arent any even if they use dot legal bulbs....

i have a set i got from procarparts.com which are completely clear and they were only $30 for the pair.... i know they are not legal....
   "This street legal DOT approved/SAE certified set includes two complete headlamp assemblies with bulbs already installed, ready to plug into your vehicle. We can not remove or exchange the DOT approved bulbs for this kit. Higher wattage bulbs are sold separately and are for off road use only. To be installed by the customer. "

thanks for the input so far
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2007, 01:38:27 PM »

seeing as they can get in some serious legal trouble, I'm doubting that they would claim DOT approved if they aren't? :dunno:

DTB, I haven't heard anything about roundeye's kit, but have you checked out JC whitney.  I know they've got some good stuff, and may or may not be cheaper :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

FruitaCrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -174
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2007, 06:12:54 PM »
I have somethings similar to those in my 88 pickup. I got them from checker auto for $30 for the pair i think without bulbs and them i put a set if PIAA extreme white bulbs in them. they work great and make a huge difference
88 pickup- stock for now

America has always had on imigration problem just ask any indian

88Rokyoat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2007, 06:36:30 PM »
i have the Pilot H4 light conversion. I got them at kragen for like $65 with the bulbs, they make a huge difference and they look sweet too. differently worth the money I spent.
stupid people shouldn't have kids.

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2007, 06:44:52 PM »
i have the Pilot H4 light conversion. I got them at kragen for like $65 with the bulbs, they make a huge difference and they look sweet too. differently worth the money I spent.
Im not sure if those can support the higher wattage off-road only bulbs 130/90W.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2007, 09:31:29 PM »
The hellas that are widely available (vision plus) are supposed to be kinda crappy.  Poor beam and such.  A lot of guys are very happy with the improvements of the round eyes, and from what I've seen I'd be more likely to drop the coin on them than the hellas or anything else, unless I could get the good hellas.   :twocents:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2007, 10:09:10 PM »
dont forget to get 4crawlers headlight wireing upgrade kit.

DRew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2007, 11:37:11 PM »
x2

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2007, 01:56:44 PM »
dont forget to get 4crawlers headlight wireing upgrade kit.

DRew
From what I understand, it is best to check the voltage at the headlights first before purchasing the harness......sometimes stock may be enough or the lack of performance may not justify the cost of the harness. The stock harness should work fine with the lower wattage bulbs
RIP KYOTA

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Mar '07
  • ..I walks me a mudhole and I stomps it dry... baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2007, 07:31:25 PM »
The hellas that are widely available (vision plus) are supposed to be kinda crappy.  Poor beam and such.  A lot of guys are very happy with the improvements of the round eyes, and from what I've seen I'd be more likely to drop the coin on them than the hellas or anything else, unless I could get the good hellas.   :twocents:

The Hellas are a HUGE improvement over stock. They don't have a poor beam, either I don't know where you got your info but it is wrong.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2007, 10:33:11 AM »
the bulbs are dot approved the lenses are not..... i would really like someone to prove me wrong on this......

i want to see a picture of those lenses with the DOT markings on them

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2007, 12:48:05 PM »
the bulbs are dot approved the lenses are not..... i would really like someone to prove me wrong on this......

:_order: You have officially been proven wrong...

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432218&page=4

:psss: Unless of course THE roundeye guy is lying

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2007, 12:52:17 PM »

as i stated before, when i SEE the DOT STAMPING on the GLASS HOUSING i will believe it

~ John F. Kennedy ~

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2007, 01:02:15 PM »
ON THE WAY     :woohoo: no maybe driving at night won't be a nightmare
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2007, 01:36:58 PM »

as i stated before, when i SEE the DOT STAMPING on the GLASS HOUSING i will believe it

guess you might just have to buy a set and find out for yourself then.  :dunno:

Claiming that something is DOT approved when it is not is punishable by law, so I'm doubting that roundeye.com would want to take that chance :dunno:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2007, 02:16:12 PM »

Claiming that something is DOT approved when it is not is punishable by law, so I'm doubting that roundeye.com would want to take that chance :dunno:

supposedly, clear corners are legal too....

joe said he just ordered a set, he should post pictures when they arrive....

im not spending my money on something that may or may not have proper approval

and APC said their lenses were DOT APPROVED..... guess what, they got shut down... APC is no longer around

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2007, 02:17:15 PM »

and APC said their lenses were DOT APPROVED..... guess what, they got shut down... APC is no longer around

Exactly.

-Ronald Reagan

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2007, 02:20:40 PM »
i am not spending my $ on something that may or may not be actually dot sapproved.. i have enough trouble with law enforcement based on my spirited driving, i dont need to get pulled over for an equipment violation

uncljpl4x4 just ordered a pair, we should see if he will post pictures of the actual housing when he gets them

~ John F. Kennedy ~

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2007, 02:30:34 PM »
yes yes i will   

I can't see a/this guys  Comapany   selling a non DOT convertion and saying it is.  it's not worth the legal mumbogumbo
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2007, 02:37:13 PM »
yes yes i will  

I can't see a/this guys  Comapany   selling a non DOT convertion and saying it is.  it's not worth the legal mumbogumbo

as i said before APC said their stuff was DOT legal, and it was found later to not be legal, and the company shut down..... and the company was shut down by legal entities

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 16, 2007, 02:43:02 PM »
Jimbo, you're just proving my point. 

Its not worth mislabeling something, just to get more sales out of it, when you can get shut down because of it.  Roundeyes has been around for a while, and I'm betting they'll be around for a long time. 

APC learned the hard way that mislabeling stuff can get them busted.

-Ronald Reagan

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 16, 2007, 02:52:59 PM »
Jimbo, you're just proving my point. 

Its not worth mislabeling something, just to get more sales out of it, when you can get shut down because of it.  Roundeyes has been around for a while, and I'm betting they'll be around for a long time. 

APC learned the hard way that mislabeling stuff can get them busted.

APC was around for several years and sold more products than roundeyes..... i am not saying roundeyes is lying, jsut given the little bit of pictures they show, and not seeign the specifics of the lights, it is impossibly to tell if they are actually dot approved housings.... and besides that, dot approved housings wouldnt matter what bulbs are in it.... the hella h4 housings are dot approved..... the housing and the light need to be dot approved, not the bulb only itself.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 16, 2007, 03:40:26 PM »
:blah:         ::)
RIP KYOTA

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 16, 2007, 04:22:27 PM »
:blah:         ::)

what else are we supposed to do until you get your lights, and report back? :dunno:

:hahaha:

-Ronald Reagan

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 16, 2007, 05:04:25 PM »
I'm asking for a pic to be posted up by roundeyes over on the pirate forum showing the DOT stamp. Hopefully we can get this resolved tonight or tomorrow.  :therethere: