Author Topic: Weber Rough Idle  (Read 36442 times)

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Weber Rough Idle
« on: Apr 03, 2007, 12:08:02 PM »
I just swapped a weber 32/36 onym my 84 4runenr and now my idle is pretty eratic. I sprayed smoe carb cleaner to check for leaks and it is looking like the basegasket for the carb is leaking.

In the instructions it said not to use RTV or silicon to seal it, to use gasket selant or grease. Not having anyother selants besides RTV I used grease. What else can I try to seal it, and will I need new gaskets?

question 2: Now that I have the weber what Pollution crap can I get rid of? I pretty much have everyting capped off right now, just running a vacuum hose with a y in it to my two vacouma advance ports on my distributor, and the line to the brake booster. everythign else si still there just no where to run it to, plugged all open ends.

third and last question, when i sat down to white this I only had one, jst keep rembering things to ask. There is only one fitting on the bottom of the aircleaner for the crank case breather. where do i run the PCV valve to?
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Weber Rough Idle
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2007, 12:31:30 PM »
1   check that the base bolts are nice  and  snug,  and that  adapter bolts are tight,  :psss:  i used RTV  on mine

2   pretty much all of it

3  when you toss the egr valve crap  it leaves a port  for your  pcv  to attach  to if you have the egr blockoff  with the  hose connector
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2007, 12:33:21 PM »
turn the mixture screw :psss:  the one at the base ,  all the way in, then back it out  2 turns  and see what that does
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2007, 12:37:47 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply glen, going to go get on that now.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2007, 04:57:17 PM »
1   check that the base bolts are nice  and  snug,  and that  adapter bolts are tight,  :psss:  i used RTV  on mine

2   pretty much all of it

3  when you toss the egr valve crap  it leaves a port  for your  pcv  to attach  to if you have the egr blockoff  with the  hose connector
RTV on a carb gasket? Are ya crazy... don't the fuel eat the rvt and cause vaccum leaks?
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Hilux92

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Speed Kills...Drive a Hilux and live forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2007, 09:39:33 PM »
Check the idling jets. There are two, one on each side. RTV is a no no for carb jets.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2007, 11:00:31 PM »
Is this a new carb or a used one?  If used, I'd get a new base gasket! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2007, 05:58:34 AM »
RTV on a carb gasket? Are ya crazy... don't the fuel eat the rvt and cause vaccum leaks?
I also did this on both of mine. One has been running around for 3+ years.
Time to go wheelin!

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2007, 05:25:25 PM »
Check the idling jets. There are two, one on each side. RTV is a no no for carb jets.

There are two idle screws on a 32/36? I thought that was only on a 38 but I will check when when i get back home on the 11th.

Is this a new carb or a used one?  If used, I'd get a new base gasket! 

Brand new carb, not sure if the grease I used to seal the carb would keep anything else I used from working so while I was ordering my EGR block plates form LC engineering I went ahead and ordered all new gaskets. I only want to pull this apart one more time  :greengrin: I did a search on google and according to permatex, they make a product called Hi-tack gasket sealant that is what they recommend for carb gaskets. Anybody have any experience with this? I usually just use Ultra Gray for everything but didn't because the instructions said not to use any kind of RTV, may still end up using it based on y'alls feeback if no one can come up with something better but three years of use by mudmaster and who knows how long by glen seems like pretty good proof to me that it works.

In all honesty though, even with the vacuum leak the truck drives better than it did before. Before it was foot to the floor in 5th to do 70, now it will hold 70 just barely into the secondaries.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2007, 05:07:16 AM »
I used high temp RTV. I can't remember for sure but I think that's what my instructions said to use   :dunno:
Time to go wheelin!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2007, 11:08:11 AM »
There is only two settings you can mess with on the 32/36 weber carbs.  The fuel mix and the idle setting!  It took many years to get mine dialed in 100%.  The one thing about the webers is they can be stubborn.  I had to adjust mine in the spring and in the fall!  The difference in the weather affected it!  But once I got it dialed in it was good!  Another thing is to use lock tight on the setting screws.  Mine would back out of adjustment due to vibrations!  And I had to keep spare springs for the throttle return spring!  Excellent power response and fuel economy over the factory carb I had on my nissan!  I got up to 19-25 mpg.  And I loved hitting the secondaries! 

Why don't ya get a new base gasket for it!  Like I said earlier, mine was really thick, and I just cinched it down tight!  Never had any leaks!  Go to weber's website, there is alot of tech pages on them!

*edit*  Just thought about this after I posted!
http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/carburetor_set_up_and_lean_best_.htm
This might help!  If I was to low on idle I got a rough idle! 
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2007, 11:16:15 AM by cheesemaker »

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2007, 06:29:59 PM »
RTV is a no no for carb jets.

Well spank my :moon: and call me sally

I've used RTV on my weber base too. just a VERY thin flim.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2007, 09:28:35 PM »
Success!!!

Just got in from work at about16:00, rested till about 18:00 and then removed and reinstalled  all the addaptors for the carb. I am pretty sure I figured out what my problem was, the studs that go into the adaptor under the carburetor, one of them was threaded in so that about 1/16" or so
had broken the plain of the bottom and wouldn't let it seat against the gasket right.

New gaskets installed, EGR block off plates installed and it is running like a champ. when I test drove it it would want to rev up between gears, got home and the throttle is sticking as a temporary fix I wound the throttle return spring one wrap tighter but the throttle is heavy as hell now. I am not joking when I say the throttle feels like it is heavier than the clutch.

Thanks for the suggestions again everybody, I really apreciat it. :thumbs:

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2007, 10:17:03 PM »
Loosen the nut on the throttle linkage a touch.  Mine was that way!  I think mine had a bend tab to help lock it in place!  Try that!  I always carried extra springs too!  Knew it had to be simple!

Hilux92

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Speed Kills...Drive a Hilux and live forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2007, 10:36:55 PM »
Can anyone tell me what size primary/ secondary air and main jet sizes you are using?

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 11, 2007, 10:54:22 PM »
Loosen the nut on the throttle linkage a touch.  Mine was that way!  I think mine had a bend tab to help lock it in place!  Try that!  I always carried extra springs too!  Knew it had to be simple!

thanks, will do that, I ember snuggin that nut up pretty well, might have over did it.

Can anyone tell me what size primary/ secondary air and main jet sizes you are using?

Cant tell you for sure... I am just running what ever it is they sent in it stock.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 24, 2007, 05:17:56 PM »
There is only two settings you can mess with on the 32/36 weber carbs.  The fuel mix and the idle setting!  It took many years to get mine dialed in 100%.  The one thing about the webers is they can be stubborn.  I had to adjust mine in the spring and in the fall!  The difference in the weather affected it!  But once I got it dialed in it was good!  Another thing is to use lock tight on the setting screws.  Mine would back out of adjustment due to vibrations!  And I had to keep spare springs for the throttle return spring!  Excellent power response and fuel economy over the factory carb I had on my nissan!  I got up to 19-25 mpg.  And I loved hitting the secondaries! 

Why don't ya get a new base gasket for it!  Like I said earlier, mine was really thick, and I just cinched it down tight!  Never had any leaks!  Go to weber's website, there is alot of tech pages on them!

*edit*  Just thought about this after I posted!
http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/carburetor_set_up_and_lean_best_.htm
This might help!  If I was to low on idle I got a rough idle! 

thanks for that site, i needed that to fine tune my dads 85!!!!
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 24, 2007, 05:38:53 PM »
180/142  primary,   185/150 secondary

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 01:18:02 PM »
just pulled a redline weber off a 80 20r it was jetted 160/140 both w/stock air cleaner.
 my 79 20r w/ old weber has 170/160p 180/165s with no choke and a K&n filter. probably rich but its a sea level norcal beach truck. I think i'll play with the jetting this week end and see how it likes it.

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 05:05:44 PM »
strange..I was wrong about the jetting on my truck... when I checkeced it today I had 170/150 p and 180/130s. Hmmm that didn't sound right so I changed it to 160/130p and 170/140.. idled great but was flat down low. changed it to 160/140 both... ran out of time, so I'll run it in to work in the morning and see what happens.

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »
rpm dropped 200rpm.. good. runs smooth to 5000rpm then flattens out. no more run on when i turn the key off. going to run it awhile and see where the mpg turns out.

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 03:42:53 PM »
how do you determine what size of jets you have??? i've been messin with my 32/36 weber and it will only run smooth with the primary jet 1/8-1/4 turn out!!! are the jets too big or small? and another thing, once you get the motor under load it starts to surge really bad and sounds like its running out of fuel... i adjusted the floats cuz they were rubbin on the bottom of the bowl, and put a k&n adapter/filter on her, new rubber fuel hoses, fuel filter, and different fuel pump......... can anybody give me ANY ideas on how to make this damn thing run smooth under load??? its so bad that you cant even hardly drive it down the road.................
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

09roramo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »
i have a weber also and i couldn't get it to idle smooth like yours. i only used the gaskets that were given and no silicone stuff. i finally realized the butterfly valves (i think that is what its called) weren't closing all the way and put a really stiff spring on the close lever. after that the engine ran smooth as butter and had real good power. just adding my experience with a weber.
'84 toyota pickup 4x4
22r, 38 weber, 261C cam, headers
4" all pro springs, 5.5" shackles
4:88 gears with e-locker in rear

2001 Dbl cab tacoma 4wd
5 speed conversion
Pavement pounder

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2010, 11:58:48 AM »
i have a weber also and i couldn't get it to idle smooth like yours. i only used the gaskets that were given and no silicone stuff. i finally realized the butterfly valves (i think that is what its called) weren't closing all the way and put a really stiff spring on the close lever. after that the engine ran smooth as butter and had real good power. just adding my experience with a weber.
I remember now.  I had that problem with the throttle shaft being too tight so loosened it off a touch and put a second nut on it as a jamb nut and it was fixed.

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:50:39 AM »
Well if it's working, than there's no need for propane
And if you jet it up , you might find some more power
Any way cyote is the isht w the Webbers  if there's a prob
Let him no he gets right back to you, very helpfull
And I used gear oil to seal my gaskets and switched the vac advance to a 20 r advance, one hose to the carb and that's it , all smog stuff can be sold for bigger jets a d a spare fuel
Cut of plug!! Glad to hear it's working

lexustech16

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 25, 2012, 05:32:51 PM »
Just put the weber on my 81' actually impressed with the "power" gain. Have u noticed a fuel economy boost?

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2013, 01:59:08 PM »
I had to pull this thread out from the dead ,
I don't see a better mil/ gal but more torque and better power band
Im having problems with the ( surge ) loss of power up hill
Kinda like its starving for fuel , my altitude is -1800-2000 feet
I'm going to adjust the butterfly's
And play with the air/ fuel mixture ,
Any Ida's much appreciated

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 21, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
Only decent mileage I have seen is when it was tuned to pass smog.  Otherwise I get poor mileage.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

crazymoritz97

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 298
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 17, 2013, 06:01:42 PM »
is their anyone in at chico, paradise, area that has a webber on a first gen with a 20r engine?
Chris g Moritz