Author Topic: Trans and transfer case out of turbo truck convert to forward shift  (Read 2315 times)

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
I was talking to a roommates co-worker today and they mentioned they had two dead Toyota's in their yard and I should come by and have a look before they get hauled off. One was a turbo truck and when I saw it my heart filled with glee. When I opened the hood there was nothing in it. I asked what happened to the motor they said it was sold some time ago, but the trans and transfer case where thrown into the back of the 2WD junker sitting next to it. After digging through a pile of rubbish I found them asking price FREE take it away.

There was nothing else I neeed and the trucks were gutted and filled with trash.

Can I convert this combo to a forward shifting transfer case? I'm not interested in cutting up my floor in my 85

MUDSLINGER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
From what I here the turbo tranny with transfer case are very strong and rare! I would call Marline and talk to them I'm sure there is a convertion for it. I have a hold of a turbo truck but its 2wd, bummer!Good Find!

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Of course you can convert it to forward shift. Marlin has the parts on his site of like $80 IIRC. Or you could just send the top shift case to me. :gap:

yotaweelr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -53
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Feb '05
  • wheelin
    • View Profile
the turbo t-case should have already been forward shift. sound like you have a 85-88 w56 and efi t-case. I know this is true cause i just watched a friend pop a cover over the t-case shifter hole on the extension housing of his r151.

royota85r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
My r151 is foward shift. I've seen 3 and I've never seen a top shift r151. The top shifts as far as I know in the 85-89 were only in the runners.
Better to wheel a Yota than push a Ford

~tc~

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
I thought all the R-series trannies were mated to forward shift cases...
'93 4Runner, V6/MT ARB's, armor, 33's, no lift!

President, CO Chapter TTORA www.cottora.org

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
I thought all the R-series trannies were mated to forward shift cases...
X2...at least the one I have is...

Look for a big hole in the bottom of the bellhousing.  Only the turbo trannies have them.  It might have a grommet in it.

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile

X2...at least the one I have is...

Look for a big hole in the bottom of the bellhousing.  Only the turbo trannies have them.  It might have a grommet in it.
x3 ya there should be a 1-1.5 inc diamiter hole in the bottem of the bellhousing with a plug in it, r151 i thought they were all farward shift and the r150's are top shift.

you sed you want to convert it to top shift, dose it have a block off plate behind the shiffter on the tranny?
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's