Author Topic: pinion shims + trac bar  (Read 1020 times)

WileEToyote

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
pinion shims + trac bar
« on: Mar 03, 2007, 10:53:33 AM »
I just finished slipping some 4 degree shims in my rear springs. I have a CV driveshaft, and the shims canceled all the angles out to less than a degree. I'm using a magnetic carpenter level and it reads between 1 degree and zero each time I measure. I've taken multiple measurements at the pinion flange (plate clamped to it), on the driveshaft and using sockets on each cap of the rear u-joint.

By now I'm fairly well convinced that I'm closer to zero than one degree off.

General practice I understand is to leave the pinion a degree low to allow a little bit of tip on acceleration, but what about when employing a traction bar as well? Do they tend to keep the axle located well enough that I can ignore the leave it low rule?
~Adam
96 T100, Dana44, lockers and stuff
75 FJ40, stock for the moment

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
Re: pinion shims + trac bar
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2007, 03:49:57 PM »
Had similar setup minus track bat I would suggest getting rid of shims and getting new spring perches and rewelding them with a better pinion angle.  I have not noticed much axel wrap.  Any type of block or shim can accellerate axle wrap.
I just finished slipping some 4 degree shims in my rear springs. I have a CV driveshaft, and the shims canceled all the angles out to less than a degree. I'm using a magnetic carpenter level and it reads between 1 degree and zero each time I measure. I've taken multiple measurements at the pinion flange (plate clamped to it), on the driveshaft and using sockets on each cap of the rear u-joint.

By now I'm fairly well convinced that I'm closer to zero than one degree off.

General practice I understand is to leave the pinion a degree low to allow a little bit of tip on acceleration, but what about when employing a traction bar as well? Do they tend to keep the axle located well enough that I can ignore the leave it low rule?