Author Topic: Shackles relocation idea... need input.  (Read 3223 times)

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Shackles relocation idea... need input.
« on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:19:26 PM »
Currently im running 64" chevys with 4in lift blocks and dual shackles, i want to remove the lift blocks and am trying to figure out a cheap way to do it without losing ride height.  So here is what i am thinking, remove the lift blocks and lower the shackles down 4in via blocks between the frame and the shackle mount as illustrated in my below picture.  Im not sure if this is a good idea or not, just something that popped into my head.  SO please provide input on what to do here.

Here is the current set up.

these blocks are what im trying to get rid of

My Idea

My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

Gearhead Wiki

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 51
  • Male Posts: 83
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Gearhead Wiki
Re: Shackles relocation idea... need input.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2007, 02:32:18 PM »
if you did that wouldn't you just end up with the exact same lift, flex etc. why do you want to get rid of the blocks?
My automotive wiki project https://www.gearheadwiki.com

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »
Yes that will work, but your shocks are going to limit your flex anyway.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2007, 03:21:14 PM »
if you did that wouldn't you just end up with the exact same lift, flex etc. why do you want to get rid of the blocks?
if i understand things correctly, it will reduce axle wrap if i remove the blocks, i want to retain the same ride height.. and the way it is now, the leaf springs collide with the shocks due to the lift blocks making the springs further from the axle.

heres a pic of the above problem

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2007, 03:24:15 PM »
Yes that will work, but your shocks are going to limit your flex anyway.
relocating the shocks to a / \ pattern is in the future, but as of now im hoping that this will be a strong enough fix to get the rid of the blocks... to my knowledge this seems like a better lift than the blocks?  or am i better off leaving the blocks....

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:03:15 PM »
I'm thinking that it would take approximatly 8 inches of drop on the shackle to get the 4 inches of lift in the blocks.  You only get half the lift of any extended shackle.  You would have to put blocks on both ends of the springs and I'm sure you would become the laughing stock of the board.  Blocks are not ideal, but unless you are having axle wrap issues I don't really see the problem with them.  I doubt you are getting much more wrap, in any, than the Marlin rear springs have.

Get a u-bolt flip kit and relocated the shock mounts higher on the axle housing.  :dunno:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:05:50 PM »
a lot of other people on this board run chevy's without lift blocks.. attaining 4-5in of lift... how do they do it......

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:11:39 PM »
a lot of other people on this board run chevy's without lift blocks.. attaining 4-5in of lift... how do they do it......

I'm guessing they are hybrid springs and not stock.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
so would you say that i should just scrap the idea?

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »
How bout a compromise?

Use a length of 2x2 square tube between the frame and shackle mount as in the original spacer idea.  Then swap the chevy shackle around so that it mounts at the frame and run a longer second shackle off of that.  This will net some lift from the tube and some from the shackle.  If you need more you might consider adding a leaf from another pack or putting a stock toy leaf on the bottom of the chevy pack or something.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:54:46 PM »
so would you say that i should just scrap the idea?

That's my  :twocents: but I'm sure there are other ideas/opinions.

CRS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 132
  • Member since Oct '05
  • 1/4 TiLT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2007, 06:00:37 PM »
Your idea will work. It will however change your pinon angle and put a lot of leverage on the frame so be sure to plate both sides well. You can also throw a little coin  :twocents: at it and buy a lifted chevy  spring for the back. or add a leaf or two to the pack. Remember however that your spring rate will change if you change springs or modify springs.
IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAKE. MY BEST FRIEND AND COPILOT
                  WITH ME FOR A MILLION DAYS

2-15-05  4-12-06

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2007, 06:07:40 PM »
How bout a compromise?

Use a length of 2x2 square tube between the frame and shackle mount as in the original spacer idea.  Then swap the chevy shackle around so that it mounts at the frame and run a longer second shackle off of that.  This will net some lift from the tube and some from the shackle.  If you need more you might consider adding a leaf from another pack or putting a stock toy leaf on the bottom of the chevy pack or something.
hmm...... deffinetly worth consideration... lets here some more ideas people   :biggthumpup:

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2007, 06:08:44 PM »
Your idea will work. It will however change your pinon angle and put a lot of leverage on the frame so be sure to plate both sides well. You can also throw a little coin  :twocents: at it and buy a lifted chevy  spring for the back. or add a leaf or two to the pack. Remember however that your spring rate will change if you change springs or modify springs.

i wondered if it might effect other things such as the pinion angle...

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2007, 06:13:20 PM »
You will be rotating the pinion slightly up towards the tcase so as long as it is not a major change in angle it will be OK.
If it is too much a small shim could correct it.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2007, 12:49:25 PM »
If you put a 4'' spacer at the rear of the spring you'll only gain 2'' at the axle point or center of the spring  :down:. You would need to also put a 4'' spacer at the front to regain the full 4''  :thumbdown:. Instead you should get rid of the stock chevy shackle and use a chevy lowering shackle which is much longer and then maybe a 2'' block at the axle instead. This will still give you a decent pinion angle and yet still ride nice  :thumbs:. Plus the longer shackle allows more spring movement for more flex  :thumbsup:. hope this is what you're looking for.  :crossed: