Author Topic: Would you build a tube buggy starting with a sandrail chassis?  (Read 3933 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
This one keeps popping up in my mind, and I never remember to ask people on here.  I brought it up to my coworkers today, then found one for sale after getting home.  So whatya think, could you start a tube buggy project with a decent sandrail chassis, or would you be pissin in the wind?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
it depends on the designe id think the chassis would be to long but with some work you might be able to make it work but in my opinion you would be better off starting from scratch

limegreen82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
i wouldnt use a sand rail fram for a rock buggy. if its a normal VW rail frame. then it wouldnt work. on the VW rails there is no room in the front for a engine. Unless you moved your seats all the way to the back. then it could work. if you have any pics of the rail frame if would help. just my :twocents:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
This is a small pic of it
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
That looks like you could make it work. I'm thinkin air shocks would be rad  :yesnod:
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Air shocks :yikes:  It'd hafta be a total budget build if it happened, but air shocks would kick ass!  I'm thinkin you'd need to, or atleast would be best off, extending the rear section, then do some figuring on the front to see what it'd take to fit an engine in there.  Maybe saturn engine/tranny turned sideways, kinda like those :can'trememberthenameofthecompanywhosellsthosebuggies:
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
you mean Rhinos...the ones with the Honda B20B in them?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Maybe, but when I saw em on xtreme, whatever that show is, they said they had a saturn engine/tranny.  Said the saturn trannies were pretty tough.
RIP KYOTA

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
oh, are you talking about the meyers manx?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~