Author Topic: Drivetrain Lift Q  (Read 4546 times)

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Drivetrain Lift Q
« on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:02:37 PM »
Noob question of the day   :slap: 

Drivetrain lift:

Is there anything I need to do at the motor end? Lift it as well?

Hoping to run 2" of drivetrain lift if not a flat belly, and am wondering if this will have any affect on the motor. Specifics if needed, 84 xtra cab w/no body lift. I know i'll need some floor hacking, but i'm more worried about making sure he heart of the thing is okay with this....before I start tilting things. I'm assuming I need to lift it as well but want to make sure before I move forward.

Thanks for any help,  :biggthumpup:

Talon V.
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

kevin286

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Yeehaw
    • View Profile
Re: Drivetrain Lift Q
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:11:57 PM »
you will need to raise your engine as well if you are raising your tranny or tcase. 4crawler sells some easy bolt in mounts.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/MotorMount.shtml and also has a good FAQ for questions such as this.

If you were to raise your tcase and tranny without raising your engine to match there would be exaggerated angle on your output u-joint as well as potentially clearance issues with your fan and fan shroud in addition to increased stress on your motor mounts.

I have his mounts and plan on using them along with fabbing up a new crossmember/skid plate mount to raise my drive line 2" on my 83 mini. I do have a 2" body lift as well so there wont be the sheet metal clearance issues that you might have.
good luck.  :crossed:
'94 4Runner, 3.0, Downey HD Coils, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, K&N Drop-in, ARB Bull bar w/warn M8000
'83 Toy longbed. 35"s on MT Classics, DP bed, Post '86 rearend, 5.29s, rebuilt .040 over, 216cam, warn m8k w/syn rope, MC hysteer, bla bla.

alpha_nett

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:53:20 PM »
i am planning on doing a drive train lift. i will be using the motor mount spacers from 4crawler. i know i will be cutting up my floor and fire wall for clearance, and relocating my radiator. i will be using a MC07-R10 along with this drivetrain lift to achieve a flat belly. my question is, what height of lift do i need to do on my drivetrain to achieve a flat belly? and are there any unforeseen issues i need to prepare for? thanks for any help
 -Sean

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:23:53 PM »
Plenty of people have done drivetrain lifts without touching the engine. There's enough reading on the subject over on Pirate to make you sick.

Rocksnail

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:38:54 PM »
i lifted my drive train and did nothing to the engine side. i do have a 2inch BL if it makes the diff. i have had no problems with drive line angle or the fan hitting.
1993 4door  s10 Tahoe. 4.3 th350c duel toys w/4.7 rear, D60 front 5.13 welded. 14Bolt rear 5.13 mini spool,hydro assist, TG 5HD front springs, 63s out back. h2s with 39x14 17 Pit Bull Madd Dogs

alpha_nett

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:54:57 AM »
thanks for the input guys. and just so i am clear; in addition to an MC07-R10, the transfer cases can be lifted high enough to clear the bottom frame line creating a flat belly, without any catastrophic repercussions right? thanks again
  -Sean

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »
Just be prepared to cut the :pokinit: out of your floor if you don't have a body lift.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2008, 10:14:26 PM »
Seems like you're just asking to bust motor mounts if you just lift the back end without lifting the engine. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

alpha_nett

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »
Seems like you're just asking to bust motor mounts if you just lift the back end without lifting the engine. 

Thats what it would seem like to me. i dont want to twist up the motor mounts that much. if i can achieve a flat belly with a motor mount lift of 2" and a FROR crossmember, and being clocked, i will not mind at all doing the extra cutting and fabbing to make it all fit.

Still my standing question is: is my "said plan" enough to achieve a flat belly? do i need to go with the 3" motor mount lift? with the motor mount lift, will i need to still crank the t-cases up at an angle? cutting is NOT a concern. thanks for any info
 -Sean

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »
am in the same boat, and still kinda dont get why you would not raise the engine also. umm..
ok heres my issue- i have an 85x-cab, no body lift/ mostly stock/ if i do a flat belly and raise the trans/t-case, past the top of the frame rails, would i have driveline issues? that well need to be addressed? btw i dont plan on using an rotated adapter either for the t-cases.
i looked at pirate4x4.com not much there about doing it on a stock or no lift toy.
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2008, 07:38:31 AM »
No help, but I do know there is a thread on pirate that specifically covers flat belly toyotas without motor lift and addresses your driveline angle question.  Maybe someone else can find it.

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2008, 08:01:50 AM »
you will need to raise your engine as well if you are raising your tranny or tcase. 4crawler sells some easy bolt in mounts.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/MotorMount.shtml and also has a good FAQ for questions such as this.

If you were to raise your tcase and tranny without raising your engine to match there would be exaggerated angle on your output u-joint as well as potentially clearance issues with your fan and fan shroud in addition to increased stress on your motor mounts.

I have his mounts and plan on using them along with fabbing up a new crossmember/skid plate mount to raise my drive line 2" on my 83 mini. I do have a 2" body lift as well so there wont be the sheet metal clearance issues that you might have.
good luck.  :crossed:

What a complete load of bs....  :hahaha:    I've been running a flat belly for a few years on the same motormounts with no issues at all.  I just loosened the 17mm nuts to allow the engine to rotate, retorqued them once it was in place.  I also chained the drivers side down in the typical fashion and dropped the radiator a bit to keep the hoses from having issues.  Thats IT.  Raising the engine will raise your center of gravity a bit which is pointless.  The Jeep guys have to raise their engine beings the rear driveline is so damned short.  Raising the t-case does put the rear driveline at a bad angle when the driveline is under 2' long.

You can run the R-10 adapter and get away with a bit less cutting of the floor if you use a FROR style crossmember.  Having a crossmember that mounts under the cases will eat up ground clearance if not done correctly.  I built mine with high clearance in mind and I havent had issues with it as of yet.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2008, 12:44:26 PM »
thanks WT, i will try to do this in the summer, btw how much did you raise the trans/t-case and stuff?
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2008, 01:04:30 PM »
I raised it till it was higher than the bottom of the frame by about 1/4" I do run a 3/4" body lift on my truck so I didn't have to cut all the way under the dash like you would with no body lift.  The crossmember is rather huge so it keeps things from getting destroyed by rocks while allowing access to the cases and drivelines.

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #14 on: Apr 24, 2008, 04:21:55 PM »
oh i see thanks

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #15 on: Apr 26, 2008, 12:56:47 AM »
pics please

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 26, 2008, 09:35:25 AM »
Dig up $300 in the projects section and you'll have all the pics you want and more. ;)