Author Topic: The best way to get 7" of lift with lots of travel in the rear...?  (Read 10182 times)

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
It's time for me to replace my stock rear springs with their add-a-leaf and 5" blocks.   :yupyup:  Ha Ha  The combination of axle wrap. wheel hop, no flex and no lockers just isn't doing it for me any more.  I have a set of chevy springs I was thinking of swapping on there, but I neet to get 7" of lift to match the front...   :dunno:  From what I can figure, the chevy springs will give me about 3-4 inches of lift.  I could get a couple inches from longer shackles and maybe add a 2 inch block or something to end up wit 7" total...  I know I could buy new lift springs, but don't want to go that way if I can get around it.  I would like to make the chevy springs work.  Any ideas or thoughts???? 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My view, you gotta pay to play.  5" marlin rear springs would be the best start.  If more was needed, some longer shackles and drop hangers could be made.   Too much drop hanger could make for a rock anchor though.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
toss some stock leaves in the chevy springs, and get longer shackles, leave the blocks in the garage....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
The way you want to set it up will get you the 7". I have that same set up. I don't like blocks but until I figure out something else I'm stuck with it! I'm thinking of pulling out one leaf in the front.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
if you mean the 63 inch chevies  sellthem to some  one else,  they are really thick  and wont mix  with toy leaves

get a set of 2wd F150 extended cab  springs, 88-94  they  will give you 5 inches then  use a longer shackle
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
get a chevy 63"  3-4" lift springs which should give you 7" of lift....dunno about flex from the lift springs but it'll give you 7" of lift!
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
The way you want to set it up will get you the 7". I have that same set up. I don't like blocks but until I figure out something else I'm stuck with it! I'm thinking of pulling out one leaf in the front.

How is the flex with that setup?
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
get a set of 2wd F150 extended cab  springs, 88-94  they  will give you 5 inches then  use a longer shackle
F150 extended cab springs??  Tell me more...  How do they flex?  How do they ride?  How do you set them up? 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
My view, you gotta pay to play.  5" marlin rear springs would be the best start.  If more was needed, some longer shackles and drop hangers could be made.   Too much drop hanger could make for a rock anchor though.
I would like to buy the 5" lift springs, but I have to sell some stuff first! 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
if you mean the 63 inch chevies  sellthem to some  one else,  they are really thick  and wont mix  with toy leaves

5 inches my  :moon: !!!
LILBUDDY  has a 4runner
I figure I got about 1 MAYBE 2 inches out of mine. They are out if exactly what you said and there is NO WAY you will get 5 inches. I had to run 3 inch blocks with 1-2" longer shackels in the rear to match the front which maybe has 5 inches...

WHy do you need 7 inches of lift anyway? I have 5 inches of lift with no body lift running 37s and I dont rub at all.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 07:05:23 PM by 79coyotefrg »
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
F150 extended cab springs??  Tell me more...  How do they flex?  How do they ride?  How do you set them up? 

They are great! I had them on my longbed 81 before and now have them on my 86 runner and they are aewwsome. lots of flex, nice ride and are good springs. I moved my spring hanger 5.5 inches forward and used  a dual shackle set up and it put the wheel just about center of the wheel well. if anything its about a quarter inch too far forward.

GET IT!!!

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
WHy do you need 7 inches of lift anyway? I have 5 inches of lift with no body lift running 37s and I dont rub at all.
I need 7" to match the front...  I've never even heard of the F150 spring swap.  But 1-2" isn't going to be enough lift if I can get 3-4" out of chevy springs...
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
what do you have in the front? 
You could put your stock rears up front, and put chevies in the rear.  That usually balances out pretty well, and you can adjust the packs to fit.

I've got 4" out of my 63"s
:thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
what do you have in the front? 
You could put your stock rears up front, and put chevies in the rear.  That usually balances out pretty well, and you can adjust the packs to fit.

I've got 4" out of my 63"s
:thumbs:
Thje front is fine and seems to flex pretty good.  It also drives nicely on the highway too, so thats an added bonus.  So I am going to leave the front like it is.  It has skyjacker 7" softride lift springs on the front.  The lift kit from skyjacker came with the rear add-a-leaf and blocks which I have on there now. 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I just flexed it today.

:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
 :smack: I'm not at home. I'll post the pic later  :hammerhead:

87 4Runner redo

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Here is a pic.

87 4Runner redo

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Cool.  Are you running a long single shackle in the rear?
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Yeah, those are the longer rear shackles with a drop down shackle. The longer shackle is a Chevy lowering shackle.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2007, 10:37:09 AM by Tallchevy350 »

87 4Runner redo

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
if you have the chevies already, throw them under there, and see what the height is.  If ya bolt them to the shackle, and let the front eye sit where it would be attached to a hanger, you should get a good idea of the height you'll get.  Then you can go from there.  You may just need to do an Add-a-leaf or something :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
5 inches my  :moon: !!!

I figure I got about 1 MAYBE 2 inches out of mine. They are out if exactly what you said and there is NO WAY you will get 5 inches. I had to run 3 inch blocks with 1-2" longer shackels in the rear to match the front which maybe has 5 inches...

REALLY??  i was sure  you had  said somewhere  that you had that much lift  :dunno:   thats where i was getting the info,  besides building springs for other people  :headscratch:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
REALLY??  i was sure  you had  said somewhere  that you had that much lift  :dunno:   thats where i was getting the info,  besides building springs for other people  :headscratch:

Nope I thought it was 5inches at first (cause i had 5inch front springs) then realized it was probably closer to only 3 on my truck (sagged in the rear a lot) and maybe 1-2 on my 4runner. If it got any of a load then they would be almost flat, had nice flex though for sure. I have to run 3inch blocks :ack: on my runner to get the rear close to the front.

GET IT!!!

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile

Yeah, those are the longer rear shackles with a drop down shackle. The longer shackle is a Chevy lowering shackle.
What did you use to make your front hangers?
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
1/4" angle iron. It's overkill but it won't go anywhere :thumbs:

87 4Runner redo

Matty

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 875
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
you would be fine with the chevies.  you definitely dont need 7 inches of lift.  i ran skyjackers too and they were no where near the actually height they said they were especially after being broken in.  maybe more like a marlin 5 inch height wise.

88toyta35s

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 135
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
http://www.4x4grace.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4906&start=40
for you guys running blocks these ubolt eliminaters can give you up to 1.5 inches lift its what im getting next with my chevies once i 4 link the front and scroll down the page to look at them

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Okay, finally time to fix my rear.  lol
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
http://www.4x4grace.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4906&start=40
for you guys running blocks these ubolt eliminaters can give you up to 1.5 inches lift its what im getting next with my chevies once i 4 link the front and scroll down the page to look at them

i like this idea, but liek the hinged spring pads that minisimp runs more....

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
you would be fine with the chevies.  you definitely dont need 7 inches of lift.  i ran skyjackers too and they were no where near the actually height they said they were especially after being broken in.  maybe more like a marlin 5 inch height wise.
Did your skyjacker springs make popping noises when they flex / shift?
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-