Author Topic: Roof mounted winch  (Read 7144 times)

stoken82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 60
  • Member since Jul '06
  • Under Destruction
    • View Profile
Roof mounted winch
« on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:08:49 PM »
Well i just got my winch in the mail and i was thinking of a way to mount it.

has any one mounted a winch to the roof of their truck?  I im thinking of building an exo and thought if i put the winch on the roof. Mounted so i could spin it  360 degrees, so i could pull front back or side to side, 

what could be some draw backs to doing this. if any one has done it what did you think or has any one even seen it?

i know pulling from the roof, side to side would be bad cause it could pull me over but other than that im not sure.

tell me what you think.

:usa:

matt

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Roof mounted winch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:13:02 PM »
Well i just got my winch in the mail and i was thinking of a way to mount it.

has any one mounted a winch to the roof of their truck?  I im thinking of building an exo and thought if i put the winch on the roof. Mounted so i could spin it  360 degrees, so i could pull front back or side to side, 

what could be some draw backs to doing this. if any one has done it what did you think or has any one even seen it?

i know pulling from the roof, side to side would be bad cause it could pull me over but other than that im not sure.

tell me what you think.

matt
it will flip your truck...not a good idea.....mount it as low as possible
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:16:35 PM »
If you mount it in the front or back w/ extra cable on the spool you can make a section of "pulley rollers" on the frony or back so you can run the winch cable under your truck to the back or front.... how ever you decide to mount it.

Works well for dual purpose. There's threads on it on PBB if you search.

If it were mounted in the front you'd spool out some cable and run it across the rollers under the truck to the back and pull from the back or vise versa.

Definently dont recommend mounting it to the roof...
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:17:25 PM »
X2, and I don't think your roof will hold up to that kind of load   :sheerterror: ,winching let alone a roll over, along with it flopping you over even if it did hold.
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

mado13

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:50:50 PM »
when its mounted low you have a straight line to pull along.  If its mounted to your roof your goin to be pullin down into the ground.  I could explain better with a drawing but whatever.  I would definitly nix the idea though.  Way to think outside the box!

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:38:40 PM »
Not trying to be mean, but...

:haha: :ha_ha: :laugh:

You certainly get an "A" for thinking outside the box.  :thumbs:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:07:44 AM »
like the other guy was saying about pushing yourself into the ground,  if you were winching in front of you, it would push your front tires deeper into the ground, and pull your rear tires away from the ground, and it doesnt matter if you are winching to the top of a tree, if the mounting location is gonna pull you forward, its gonna pull your tires into the ground at least a little
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

RTA

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since May '06
  • XX-CAB
    • View Profile
    • Brawler site
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:35:52 AM »
Good idea but just like everyone else said  :shakehead:  The best idea I have seen is to have a hitch receiver on both ends of your truck.  Then mount the winch on a hitch type platform and keep in in the back of the truck (in another receiver to stay put).  When you need it pull the pin place it in either front or rear whinch out and put back in the truck.  Also saves the winch from getting damaged in a wreck or rollover. :greengrin:
So. Cal. ROCK BRAWLERS

YODAWILL

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 260
  • Member since Feb '06
  • It's got to be the rubber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:53:43 AM »
 Front or rear only if you roll your winch is toast.

stoken82 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '06
  • Under Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:17:24 PM »
Thanks I knew it wasn't the best way to skin the cat but I figured I would ask.  :ladys-man: 

What I was thinking was to make an exo then sort of build a mini exo for the winch up on the roof  (if I rolled it would be saved, but probably hard to get to) .  The roof wouldn’t support the weight.  The winch would be supported by the exo.  Then on the hood and bed or rear bumper, along with the four sides of the roof I would have a roller fairlead.  That way it would pull from a lower point.   I knew I would flip side to side but in a bad spot I could always anchor to a tree on the side of the trail or another rig if I needed. 

Thanks for the information about running the cable under the rig.  I didn’t think of that.  That would work if I wasn’t stuck in the muck or fast flowing creek.  :sheerterror:

Matt

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:41:09 PM »
I seen a post on pirate a while back where a fella mounted a winch in his pass side floorboard and ran his cable through a tube to the front of his truck.  It seemed to work well for his aplication and he was satisfied with the results. Definately thinking outside the box!
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Gewehr43

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Toyota>>Jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:38:05 PM »
 :yikes:   You like convertibles?

Oregon Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 197
  • Member since Nov '05
  • GET IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:39:05 PM »
  It would be nice to only need one winch, but no way that'll work like everyone else said, even running pulleys through the frame rails which would be cool, but no way to keep it tight, and will tangle up. just mount one in front and run a smaller one in back with a line extension when u need it. a 5000lb winch wwould be good enough, just be smart with it, and use pulleys for harder pulls.
1992 yota truggy, 37" boggers, 7m-w56-duals, 85' front axle w/44 joints, 4 Link-coils in rear, marlin springs front, and ur mom in the passenger seat!!!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:51:06 PM »
Good idea but just like everyone else said  :shakehead:  The best idea I have seen is to have a hitch receiver on both ends of your truck.  Then mount the winch on a hitch type platform and keep in in the back of the truck (in another receiver to stay put).  When you need it pull the pin place it in either front or rear whinch out and put back in the truck.  Also saves the winch from getting damaged in a wreck or rollover. :greengrin:

We have a winner!! IMO, this is the best idea, plus, when you're home, or the rig is sitting, you don't have to leave the winch mounted on the vehicle.  It also gives more options for protecting the winch from the weather.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:30:27 PM »
Id pull it out while driving....but of course, I like nose diving into the bottom of small droppoffs.......
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

Ben Dover

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:28:06 PM »
Not trying to be mean, but...

:haha: :ha_ha: :laugh:

You certainly get an "A" for thinking outside the box.  :thumbs:

Ditto that! You don't want that much weight that high. Winches aren't light. Same reason why most people try to avoid carrying a spare tire on top.

DAWGTOY

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 460
  • Male Posts: 212
  • Member since Jul '04
  • aint too old & broke up to sit down yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:04:36 AM »
when i fabbed my stinger i leaned it back rather than forward.
so when i need to winch backwards we just run the cable back
over the stinger,hood,exo and to a clevis mounted on the tailgate.
and yea the tailgate is fabbed too. super strong.
used it 4-5 times like this and works great. kind hard on the paint tho.
but who cares about paint when your stuck with no one to pull ya out.

dawg
1983 TOY SHORT PICKUP .35/12.50S EXO CAGE HOMEMADE BED CAMO PAINT, REARS UP FRONT CHEVYS IN THE REAR, 4 WHEEL DISK, CABLE LOCKER REAR, LOCK RITE FRONT, 5.29GEARS FRONT & REAR.BOBBY LONG 30 SPLINES 9500 lb WARN WINCH. DUAL
T CASES WITH 4.7 IN THE REAR. THANKS MARLIN

denis

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 68
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:29:01 AM »
One day when I get to turn the BJ40 into a cab truck I will build something with a mixed inspiration from the foers vector winch system, the SP rollback wrecker addon (see sidepuller.com) and a roof winch :D
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2007, 09:34:37 AM by denis »
collecting toyotas since 2002
'71MS75 '73MS75 '75BJ40 '79FJ55 '80BJ40 '83LN46 '86LN65 '90HDJ80 '92LN85 '96KZJ70 '96LN108

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:30:30 PM »
I think that the reciever hitch is the best idea if you can only afford one winch.

stoken82 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '06
  • Under Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:03:09 AM »
:beer::beerchug:  :beer:

thanks for all the information.

I'm in the process of building a receiver mount and then some bumpers to hold it.  Ill get pictures of it but its going to go slow since school and work, plus the thing that every one wants but hates so much when they have it they want to get rid of it.  money

thanks again

Matt