Author Topic: RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE: AIR TOOLS FOR THE TRAIL  (Read 12375 times)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE: AIR TOOLS FOR THE TRAIL
« on: Jan 22, 2007, 04:07:38 PM »
hello, looking at some air tools on ebay and such to use with my new OBA. Any recommendations for brands or which one I might actually need? Looking at the Ingersoll Rands on Harbor Freight....air ratchets and impacts...I'm planning on using these at home some and mostly to toss in the truck and carry on the trail. The compressor is a Viair 450c with 1.6 CFM/1 or 2-2 gallon tanks. what u got and how do u like it? thanks in advance...
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
IR  is the best  air tool there be  dude,

after that  i would go Stanley  then Craftman, then walmart
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
dont air tools usually require at least 4-5 cfm @ 90 psi? i dont see how a compressor that small or tanks that small would be able to deliver for any amount of time...

i use a home contractor type compressor with a 6 gal tank, and on the compressor alone it wont run my IR gun, and using up all the air, i cant even shoot off 5 lug nuts without it having to turn back on and refill

IR is the best, i have an IR 3/8" and it has blown away lesser brands 1/2"

i have an ir 1/2" too :)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
sooo what am i looking for exactly? im noticing average CFM usage and torque ratings...I mean do I match the average CFM of the tool to the CFM of the compressor while having the highest torque rating?  No point in getting MORE than I need or/compressor can handle. The CFM rating would be coming out of the tank not directly from the compressor right?  Can I even run air tools with this kit? http://www.viaircorp.com/10007.html

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
No, I don't think that will work. Most air tools run at 90 psi with a 3/8" air hose. The larger your resovoir the longer you can run the air tool & if your compressor is too small, it will take too long for the compressor to catch up. If you have a small res, then you need a compressor that will keep up with the air tool, or you can run the tool til the power gets low, then you will have to wait for the air compressor to fill the tank again. Your better off getting a York compressor with a larger res. or 2 of the 2.5 gal. Fordh8r has this setup on his Chevy, he is using a york compressor with an air tank from a Freightliner truck. He can run air tools off his setup. As for air tools, just remember how much it will cost you to replace it if you leave it on the trail.  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
NOPE :nope:

Not enough CFM or capacity to do much of anything.

I have almost the same and other than filling tires and a quick blast with a air gun it is not enough for air tools.

You would need a tank about 2' in DIA about 4' high to do much of anything. It would take all day to pump it up for only about 1 min run time of a die grinder.

I would spend your money on a on board welder and buy some electric brush type tools. Then you could run tools all day long without stopping and be able to weld as well.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
NOPE :nope:

Not enough CFM or capacity to do much of anything.

I have almost the same and other than filling tires and a quick blast with a air gun it is not enough for air tools.

You would need a tank about 2' in DIA about 4' high to do much of anything. It would take all day to pump it up for only about 1 min run time of a die grinder.

I would spend your money on a on board welder and buy some electric brush type tools. Then you could run tools all day long without stopping and be able to weld as well.
fudge! thanks for the help mark
RIP KYOTA

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
You would need a screw type of compressor like they use for big jack hammers, only Small enough so your engine could turn it.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
look into electric impacts for the trail, I borrowed one to remove some lug nuts (tight) when I was broke on the Con last roundup and I was really impressed! I think it was an 18volt Mac whatever it was it kicked ass .

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I have a Snap-On 1/2" dril 14.4 volt impact gun. They make an 18V now & those are about $500. My 14.4V last long enough to rotate my tires. The 18V last longer & has more torque.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
I have a Snap-On 1/2" dril 14.4 volt impact gun. They make an 18V now & those are about $500. My 14.4V last long enough to rotate my tires. The 18V last longer & has more torque.
Check out IRs new 19v 1/2 impact, trust me there worth the $$ Not to dog the comp. but Snap-Ons doesnt have the power as the IRs, then again neither does Matco or Mac..... There very $$ but well worth it. :thumbs:

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
As far as air tools IR and CP are good. For the trail i would get ATD.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Tool Pimp  :attention: What is the 19V selling for ??????

87 4Runner redo

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
Hey DTB...i just noticed this thread...i don't have my onboard air set up right now, but when i tested it, it ran my air tools just fine. My big ram bumpers and rock sliders are my air tanks, though...their internal space is probably equal to a 30gallon shop tank.

The compressor CFM should surpass your air tools CFM...just one tool at a time, of course. The air tank just lets you use the air tool for longer periods before the compressor kicks in. With a tiny compressor you'll wait forever for it to pump the tank back up. With the high output of a York compressor you can use your tools and air up tires without worrying. Electric tools are ok, but they're heavy and they overheat...air tools cool themselves. An air-powered drill is probably the largest air consumer. I like my 625 ft. lb. 1/2" impact wrench...try finding an electric one that powerful.

Here's a pic of my engine on the stand, with my York compressor mounted...i went to a semi-truck dismantler and bought 2 compressors for $40.00
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
The Snap-On 18V cordless impact gun only weights just under 3lbs with the battery. The tightening torque is 284lbs. That is plenty of power for the trail. The air impact average from 250-450lbs. I have an IR & the removing torque is 650lbs. I use it to remove cylinder head bolts from diesel engines. I don't think anything on a Toyota get torqued to 650lbs :headscratch: I don't see neeeding this much power on the trail.  Just my :twocents:

87 4Runner redo

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
MY IR impact has removal torque of 1000ft lbs  :dunno:

Ultimate Air Co2

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
The Snap-On 18V cordless impact gun only weights just under 3lbs with the battery. The tightening torque is 284lbs. That is plenty of power for the trail. The air impact average from 250-450lbs. I have an IR & the removing torque is 650lbs. I use it to remove cylinder head bolts from diesel engines. I don't think anything on a Toyota get torqued to 650lbs :headscratch: I don't see neeeding this much power on the trail.  Just my :twocents:

I try to make everything i have do at least two things. York onboard air gives me air for my air rachet and impact, airing up tires fast, i can swap a tire fast in the freezing rain, i can paint a shed on somebody's back 40, i can run ARB airlockers if i had them. I carry a cordless electric hammer drill cause air drills consume too much air and the cordless is more portable.

If i'm on the side of the road with a flat, with the girlfriend in the truck...it's cold and rainy, and i find the spare is flat, i can jack the truck off the ground with air, plug the spare or the flat, air back up without waiting forever for my little electric compressor to inflate my big tires, and be driving. My air system doesn't rely on a CO2 supplier...the powertanks last a long time but when their out, yer screwed. When i get my genhead on my 22R, and i can run my 220V plasma cutter on the trail, i'll need onboard air for my air supply.
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
No, I don't think that will work. The larger your resovoir the longer you can run the air tool & if your compressor is too small, it will take too long for the compressor to catch up. If you have a small res, then you need a compressor that will keep up with the air tool, or you can run the tool til the power gets low, then you will have to wait for the air compressor to fill the tank again. Your better off getting a York compressor with a larger res. or 2 of the 2.5 gal.
look into electric impacts for the trail, I borrowed one to remove some lug nuts (tight) when I was broke on the Con last roundup and I was really impressed! I think it was an 18volt Mac whatever it was it kicked ass .
:headscratch: that's 24 lug nuts removed & 24 tightend  :dunno:

Electric tools are ok, but they're heavy and they overheat...air tools cool themselves.

The Snap-On 18V cordless impact gun only weights just under 3lbs with the battery. The tightening torque is 284lbs. That is plenty of power for the trail.
Mine hasn't overheated on me  :headscratch:

My first posting said "Your better off with a York"

:smack: :smack: :smack:

87 4Runner redo

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
Your first posting said, "You're better off with a York".

Right...so why didn't i see that?...Sorry

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Tool Pimp  :attention: What is the 19V selling for ??????
IR = $$$ 536.66 heres the details:
• The new 2530K is the world’s most powerful 1/2” impact. The Ingersoll-Rand 2530K delivers 350 ft-lbs of torque and gives you the freedom to leave the hose behind. Life’s easier when you’re unattached.
• 350 ft. - lbs. maximum torque
• 0-1,650 RPM; 0-2,200 BPM
• 19.2 Volt
• 1/2" Drive
• 7.0 ft. - lb. Torque Range
• 7.0 lbs. Impact Weight
• 90/101 Sound dBA Pressure/Power
• 15.5 lbs.
• Kit includes: ½” cordless impact, two batteries, charger and a carrying case.

OR

Matco's version $$ 430.00
19.2V CORD IMPACT W/ VAR SPD

• Super power impact transmission. Convenient side to side forward / reverse switch for easy one hand operation.
• Heavy duty metal front clutch ring for added durability.
• Free RPM speed of 2,000 rpm provides 2600 blows per minute of power and 240+ ft.lbs. of torque
• High efficiency fan cooled motor. Special soft grip ergonomic handle for extra comfort.
• High output 2.0ah Ni-Cd battery and one hour charger. Built in LED lights up the work surface, great convenience in low light areas.
• Shipped with 2 batteries(MPT192B), one hour charger(MPT192C) and impact wrench.
Let me know how many you want! :thumbs: :beer:  Anything else send me a e-mail or pm me Tony

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
Wow, that sounds really cool...that charger plugs into a 12VDC source too, right?...No?...so DTB would need an inverter to charge batteries on the trail, one with a good sine wave so as not to fry the charger? And does that air up his tires too?...No?...how about blow the dust out of his interior?...or provide air for a flat?...Not that either, huh?

Yeah, i know i'm a smartass, but even $430.00 is more than i paid for my complete air system and air tools, including the 4'x10' sheet of 3/16" steel for my ram bumper air tanks. The only good part of that cordless impact is it's portability.

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Wow, that sounds really cool...that charger plugs into a 12VDC source too, right?...No?...so DTB would need an inverter to charge batteries on the trail, one with a good sine wave so as not to fry the charger? And does that air up his tires too?...No?...how about blow the dust out of his interior?...or provide air for a flat?...Not that either, huh?

Yeah, i know i'm a smartass, but even $430.00 is more than i paid for my complete air system and air tools, including the 4'x10' sheet of 3/16" steel for my ram bumper air tanks. The only good part of that cordless impact is it's portability.
Smartass yes but I totaly agree with you I have on board air just for that reason, just giving the man the info he asked for!!!!

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info Tool Pimp.

I would like to know where you are buying your air tools? Sounds like your getting the ultimate deal.  :clap:

I would only consider you a smart :moon: if you can sit on some ice cream & tell me what flavor it is.  :laugh:

87 4Runner redo

wombat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Yea smart ass but can your air compressor weld?     OK then...

I think that they both have their ups and downs, and if you charge you battery's before you leave the house you should be good.
Plus the compressor pulls down the engines power.. and being a toyota you need all you can get.

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
Yea smart ass but can your air compressor weld?     OK then...

I think that they both have their ups and downs, and if you charge you battery's before you leave the house you should be good.
Plus the compressor pulls down the engines power.. and being a toyota you need all you can get.

Yeah, i agree there are advantages to both systems, but analyze what you just said, man.

if you charge you battery's before you leave the house you should be good.

What if you're not good?...What if you run out?...Where you gonna charge your batteries? You gotta bring another expensive piece of hardware just to do that. I bring a 2000watt inverter but most people don't.

Yea smart ass but can your air compressor weld?

Can you weld with an electric impact? LOL And if you're talking about a Premier Power Welder he can't charge his impact batteries with that either. It puts out 110 Volts DC, not AC. You can only run single speed drills, grinders, a hot plate, etc. If you hook a cordless impact or drill battery charger to it it'll burn it up quick. But a Premier Power Welder IS pretty cool for welding.

What? A York compressor was originally an air-conditioning compressor, and it has an electric clutch on the front. A standard pressure switch will turn this on and off...it only pulls the engine down when it's engaged. Unless you've got BAD leaks in your air tanks it should only run when you're stationary using air tools.

I couldn't resist the (joking) comments earlier, but i'm not trying to start a pissing contest. DTB asked "Will this crappy compressor work for me?" and we all said NO! LOL He was needing info as to what Would work, and someone said electric...in my opinion, electric is inferior to air...c'mon, who has $430 to spend on an impact? That's about the price of 4.70 gears, or a dual adapter, or crossover steering, which alot of us want but don't have cause we still can't afford it, no matter how cool it is. I could set him up with a Sweet air system for $430.00, including some good tools, and it would do a whole lot more than just take off lug nuts. Just my  :twocents: , and trying to give him the best advice i can. I Have this system, it works fine, and it didn't cost alot to set up.

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I use a 40 watt inverter that plugs into the aux 12 volt socket cause I don't bring the microwave with me on the trail. Seems to charge the battery just fine  :twocents:

87 4Runner redo

wombat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
I wasn't trying to start anything either. Just playing along. You say that electric is inferior, but I disagree. I don't think that either one has an advantage because you can so many different things. The ideal set-up would be both.. talk about pricy  though.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Air tools. No contest. Versatility

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
Maybe I can help.  :gap: I shoulda jumped in here a while ago before people started saying things they probably didn't mean  :blah:, but it was interesting see the different views some had even about tools it sounds they may not have ever used. So, maybe we can put this to bed :sleeping:. Coming from someone who does have both set ups :greengrin:, ( which while pricey  :thumbdown: were also not purchased at the same time, years apart in fact) I can tell you there are times for either and times for one or the other or neither. Lets see?  ??? Not only do I have both and work as a mechanic. I'm also a field guy who has worked in many different environments which might be experienced even on the trail. Some field repairs can even be impractical so you do what you have to, to get yourself out and a proper repair made later. There are so many adverse conditions though ranging from advantages or disadvantages in wet/rainy weather to muddy/snowy and sloppy to dusty and not to mention sometimes what might even be neighborly or sometimes (for reasons of sanity) you don't want to even hear a compressor running all the time cause you're working next to it. Each of these conditions, only to list a few, which I'm sure you can think of more are merely examples of things to consider.  :think: I'm sure you understand which tool is most advantageous for each of these conditions so I won't go into those details. Not to mention, you might need power tools to work on the rig with the OBA and that rig isn't or cant be running to work on it, thus no air or power tool use  :smack:. Even if the rig you have with OBA is down you still have a way of doing the job if you run electric.  I was as skeptical as anyone when I bought my Snap-on 18v 1/2 dr impact, but was rather impressed by it in short time. I've used it for some rather large jobs expecting the charge to not last and yet it continued to impress. I don't have issues with mine over heating and the battery charges in 45 minutes (good time for a break). Either way, I wouldn't put one down not ever expecting to pick it up again. Especially for the money they cost.  Surely, set up up of a system of either is work but they each have their place. If all else fails, get off your lazy  :moon: and turn the damn things by hand. I think you might remember how to do that, right? All things considered you should know what kinda wheeling you're doing and what type of weather to expect for your trip and which to bring if you have the choice. But most importantly these things are a luxury for your convenience. If weight or set up is your inhibition then don't do either. Hope you choose the one that's best for you :crossed:. Sorry for the lengthy read, just my :twocents:.

P.S. as for other uses of air systems that's is entirely up to you and since this post was about air vs. electric tools I was hoping to help and as for welders....again a completely different subject.  My apologies once again.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
"you don't want to even hear a compressor running all the time cause you're working next to it

"you might need power tools to work on the rig with the OBA and that rig isn't or cant be running to work on it, thus no air or power tool use  :smack:"

My 15# Ultimate Air C02 tank is silent, does not require my vehicle to be running or even near me for that matter. Has a fully adjustable regulator to mount tires and then run air tools. Is quicker at filling tires than OBA setups and most importantly my A/C pump can still be used to run my vehicels A/C when it gets real hot in the summer :gap: It has a large capacity and for 17$ I consider it inexpensive to fill (remember I have a larger tank than most which are 10# thus even cheaper to fill.) I am impressed with the quality of the Ultimate Air setup and it is much cheaper than the over priced Powertank kits  :twocents: