Author Topic: break in period on ring and pinion gears?  (Read 2742 times)

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
break in period on ring and pinion gears?
« on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:47:35 PM »
Well I just ordered a posi and some lower gears for my hemi ram, my question is, do the gears need to be broken in over a certain amount of miles?  I'm going to the drag strip on feb 9th to run my truck in some grudge matches, should they be ok?  I came here because you guys all have experience with gears.  Any infor would be great.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: break in period on ring and pinion gears?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:49:37 PM »
Well I just ordered a posi and some lower gears for my hemi ram, my question is, do the gears need to be broken in over a certain amount of miles?  I'm going to the drag strip on feb 9th to run my truck in some grudge matches, should they be ok?  I came here because you guys all have experience with gears.  Any infor would be great.
follow the gear manufacturers recommendations. basically u are driving for short distances and letting the gears cool repeatedly for a certain number of miles. Make sure u change the fluid after break in! <<<<IMPORTANT
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:53:44 PM »
When I got my gears done, the installer told me to not go over 55mph for 500 miles.  for the reason DTB  mentioned above :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

motorider228 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2007, 07:04:45 PM »
That will be really hard as i drive on the highway every day. What if i pull over every few exits and let it cool down?

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2007, 07:13:16 PM »
they need to completely cool.  IIRC when I broke mine in I did like 15 minutes cool (couple hours) another 15, cool, then put 500 miles on them then change out the gear oil.

motorider228 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2007, 12:12:05 AM »
What's IIRC mean?  So you're saying you basically drove normal but let them totally cool down after a few hours of driving?  So if I drive 65 on the freeway and only make 2 or 3 passes on the drag strip letting them cool down for 15 minutes every hour or so I should be good? 

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:17:47 AM »
no I meant drive for 15 minutes or so then let them cool, then another 15 min then cool then drive mellow on them for 500 miles then change the gear lube.

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:50:26 AM »
sorry, but I had to add this to make it sound cool......drive for 15 minutes, stop for 3 hours+, drive for 15 minutes, stop for 3hours+
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:54:27 AM »
when i did my gears had it up on jack stands did 10 minutes in forward and 10 in reverse and let it cool. the next day i drove 10 miles anmd let it cool. then i didnt drive over 55 for 500  miles then changed the fluid.

DRew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:26:59 AM »
Well here's my take on this question. What do you do when you buy a new vehicle? Do you drive 15 mins then cool for 3 hours or do you drive it normally as soon as you sign the papers? Unless they do something different to the gears they put in production line vehicles, I don't see the difference. Perhaps I'm wrong.
I do agree, however, with changing the oil (new vehicle too) after a couple of hundred miles.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)