Author Topic: Rear mounted engine in a truck!!!  (Read 9819 times)

Oregon Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 197
  • Member since Nov '05
  • GET IT!!!
    • View Profile
Rear mounted engine in a truck!!!
« on: Jan 14, 2007, 01:41:15 PM »
  Rear mounted engine in a truck!!! Anybody have more know how to do this. I was thinking a 302 with a 2wd c4 or TH350 with a divorced transfer case, but anybody have an idea how someone could do dual cases or something to get the truck slower for crawling, but be able to change back for hill climbs?

302-th350

7M-GE-v6 5spd

WRX 2.0- what ever would work

My biggest problem is tryin to figure out how you can have t-case or case's so you can choose from low and double low.

this is not be a monster truck stlye, more trail stlye so it also needs to crawl ohh and be able to drive on the street too LOL seriously
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2007, 11:33:46 AM by Oregon Crawler »
1992 yota truggy, 37" boggers, 7m-w56-duals, 85' front axle w/44 joints, 4 Link-coils in rear, marlin springs front, and ur mom in the passenger seat!!!

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Re: Rear mounted engine in a truck!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2007, 04:00:11 PM »
Seems like it would be way too long with a divorce t-case. Probably would be too long period. The rear drive shaft would be so short that you would have no movement.
There's gotta be a way though. A lot of the Baja trucks are mid engine these days. It's all a matter of cubic dollars.

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2007, 04:08:11 PM »
peice of cake! flip the cab around :greengrin:

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:33:41 PM »
i thaught about somthing like this once apon a time just so you know gm makes reverse rotation marine small block 350 crate motors

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:28:35 PM »
wouldnt reversing the the engine wear out all the gears cut for standard rotation, I know that driving in reverse doesnt break anything, but I think it would wear junk out alot quicker
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:57:51 PM »
can u put 3rd's in upside down to go the right direction?

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2007, 10:22:35 PM »
actualy now that i think about it you could use reverse cut ring and pinions for a hi pinion in a regular low pinion diff or vise versa but i dont think a low pinion therd turned upside down will get oil to the pinion bearings you could also use regular gears in a hi pinion with the same resualts to my knowledge the gear sets are the same except being cut backwards

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2007, 10:27:30 PM »
on that subject how do high pinion 3rd's get oil to the pinion bearings?

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:30:45 AM »
How bout a front wheel drive motor and transaxle turned 90deg with a welded diff. Then run the drive lines off the drive axle flanges. There would be no t-case, but the gearing would already be low since the transaxle also has the 3rd member gears built in.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:36:30 AM »
monster trucks usually have the engine mounted in the back....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »
i believe the oil gallies are different in the hi pinion and they have a slinger designed to work with them

Oregon Crawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • GET IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2007, 11:19:11 AM »
  This would be the most complexed build, I was also thinking of using a subaru 2.0 turbo if i ever did this, eather way that would be a kickass build. anyways I was just trying to get an idea, I might go this route, if i could get all the bugs worked out, and for the guy that said the rear d-line would be short, it would be the front.

anyways If I did do this I would use rockjock centers, so I could have hi pinion front and rear. so i could use reverse or standerd cut gears. So if i did go with a 302 with a short shaft TH350, what could i use to get the gears in the diffs to turn right direction, with out cruisin around in reverse gear, going forward.

My first idea was a 7M-GE but how could I use a v6 5spd tranny, and be able to shift normal. I like the toyota powered mostly, but a v8 would be cool to.

Any help to this idea would be greatly appreciated, If i could work this out on paper I have no problem buiding this!!!
1992 yota truggy, 37" boggers, 7m-w56-duals, 85' front axle w/44 joints, 4 Link-coils in rear, marlin springs front, and ur mom in the passenger seat!!!

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:35:20 PM »
I guess you just need to find out what these guys are using.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:08:14 PM »
How bout a front wheel drive motor and transaxle turned 90deg with a welded diff. Then run the drive lines off the drive axle flanges. There would be no t-case, but the gearing would already be low since the transaxle also has the 3rd member gears built in.

Isn't that what one of the buggy companies does?  They run a saturn engine turned sideways (from how it's normally run) and run the driveshafts where the half shafts would've bolted up?  Something about the saturn having really tough gears in it or something :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2007, 04:51:39 PM »
they are doin the same thing with ls1 chevy v8's, but they must run a special t-case, mabey one from atlas or sumthing

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:45:12 AM »
the rhino liner buggys use a honda motor and trans axle tured side ways and those are awsome. i know that fliping the diff would owrk but lubing it would be the trick.
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

Oregon Crawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • GET IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2007, 04:02:02 AM »
  Well, I have looked more into this, and who is thinking about doing this, beware, and heavy motor will hurt U, being in back on steep climbs. I have always thought, the more wieght in back, is better, and thought the front would still have enough weight, but i found out thats not the truth. Most of the buggies with a v8 in back, had to run water in the front tires. Thats would defiantlly hurt me, I do alot of mud trails, and mud holes, and it would bury my truck. So if any one is going to do this run a small motor, rotary, or a 4 banger.