Author Topic: Rattling Air Intake  (Read 1256 times)

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Rattling Air Intake
« on: Jan 10, 2007, 01:00:31 PM »
I've got more of an annoyance than a serious problem...when i keep my speed steady in my truck it sounds like the air intake is rattling...i found the piece that's making the noise and i can probably adjust it to make it stop but that's not my problem. my check engine light came on and when we checked it it said "Lean Exhaust." and the auto shop teacher thinks it's the O2 sensor...is it possible the rattling air intake is the cause of the problem...and has anyone else had the rattling air intake problem?

some specs on my truck: its a 1993 toyota pickup, 22re, 165,000 miles, 4X4 (Of course  :usa:)

thanks...if you can help plz do!
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Rattling Air Intake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:15:54 AM »
no one? NO ONE AT ALL?

:headscratch:
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Gewehr43

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Toyota>>Jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:47:04 AM »
I don't know if this will help?  I had a problem on my '82 that was air-intake related.  The screw on my air filter cover would work itself loose and make a horrible howling/rattleing noise as RPM increased.  Made me worry till I found out it was simple. 

O2 sensors are reasonably cheap, but the Toyota ones are durable as hell.  My '82 has over 200,000 on the last one. Runs like a champ

I would check connections such as mounts, clamps, etc. 

Hope it helps.

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:51:45 AM »
THANKS...

I HOPE IT DOES TO...
My Old Toy

motox1562

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since Jan '07
  • GET SOME!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2007, 01:27:18 PM »
 :cool: are you sure that it is the air intake? i had a slight rattling and had no idea what it was... i just simply took a couple wrenches and tightened every bolt i could get my hands on... after that i gave it a test drive and i heard no more rattling even to this day!! yay!!  :thumbs: easy fix!
"When in doubt... FLOOR IT!"

1985 Toyota Pickup
Single Cab Long Bed
22RE
31" Wheels
2" Body Lift
Pionner Stereo with Soundstream 6" Speakers and a 10" Sub powered by a 1000 watt amp

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:18:29 PM »
i'm pretty sure it's the intake! it's not a constant rattle...it only happens when i'm holding down the accelerator pedal to a certain point! usually around 3,000 RPM's
My Old Toy