Author Topic: EFI on a 20r head?  (Read 3468 times)

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
EFI on a 20r head?
« on: Dec 28, 2006, 03:38:11 PM »
Has anyone here done it or heard of someone/place that makes an "adapter" for that?  I met a guy a while back that was working on an intake for the conversion but he has since moved to AL. I'd like to make one but don't think I have the patience!! :shake:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: EFI on a 20r head?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2006, 03:41:46 PM »
i think Marlin or WillyMammoth  would  be the only ones  that could do it :ack:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Tice [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2006, 03:47:25 PM »
Well than one of them needs to make one for me now!!! :yupyup: :gap: I wanna run the 20r head on my buggy but don't wanna lose the EFI. I'd go propane but  the wife wont let me spend any more money!!! :smack:

www.wheelingarizona.com

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2006, 04:40:49 PM »
An EFI hybrid motor is definitely a dream of mine, or better yet EFI hybrid turbo'd... Anyway, if you're not allowed to spend the money it would cost for a propane conversion, then I would assume you won't be allowed to spend the money it would cost for a custom intake since that would probably end up being some serious dough. You could always try mechanical fuel injection. Some guy over on pirate has put together a kit using VW parts. Good luck, whatever you decide.

http://69.50.175.2/forum/showthread.php?t=516406
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2006, 05:03:42 PM »
just get your 22re head ported and polished with some oversized valves and dual valve springs
ive heard somewhere that chevy valves fit in a yota head, but im not for sure?

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2006, 05:11:47 PM »
Dig up my thread about this subject, in  project research I think, and look toward the bottom.  There's a good link there for it.

Also, I just today found this for using vw/audi injection, and while it looks a little cobby it seems to be fairly well built.  http://www.zuksoffroad.com/products/MY-T-FI.htm
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Tice [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2006, 05:12:21 PM »
It wouldn't be done right now, in a few months when my head "goes to hell on me" and I have to fix it. :gap: She'll let me spend money for that. She knows about the propane kit but says there is nothing wrong with my stuff now so why "fix it".

An EFI hybrid motor is definitely a dream of mine, or better yet EFI hybrid turbo'd... Anyway, if you're not allowed to spend the money it would cost for a propane conversion, then I would assume you won't be allowed to spend the money it would cost for a custom intake since that would probably end up being some serious dough. You could always try mechanical fuel injection. Some guy over on pirate has put together a kit using VW parts. Good luck, whatever you decide.

http://69.50.175.2/forum/showthread.php?t=516406

I was more or less looking for something that someone has done them selves.  Thanks for the link. :thumbs:  

www.wheelingarizona.com

Tice [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2006, 05:13:33 PM »
Dig up my thread about this subject, in  project research I think, and look toward the bottom.  There's a good link there for it.

Also, I just today found this for using vw/audi injection, and while it looks a little cobby it seems to be fairly well built.  http://www.zuksoffroad.com/products/MY-T-FI.htm

Thanks. I couldn't find to much in the search. But I give up easily!! :hammerhead:

www.wheelingarizona.com

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2006, 05:21:17 PM »
That link that nate posted is essentially the same link I gave, it's just the one a gave him was a link to the thread that the zuks offroad link was in (if that makes any sense). Anyway, just thought I'd point that out.  :cheese:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

yotakid88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 95
  • Member since Sep '05
  • on the rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2006, 03:42:09 PM »
you could have a intake setup the used tbi insted of injectors. you would just have to have a spacer/adptor made or you may be able to find one.
got low range
95/91 pickup, 3in tuff country lif and a bunch of marlins stuff.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2006, 12:04:36 AM »
Yea, but where's the fun in tbi?  I'd rather a muti-point type setup, but I like a dash of trick with my function. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2007, 08:27:49 PM »
It can/has been done.  A guy in Tacoma has done at least this one:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v368/OldMage/20RE_head/

He elected to weld up the 20R head and port it to match the 22R manifold, but I believe the 20R and 22R bolt patterns are the same.  I was thinking it might make more sense to make a 1/2" thick aluminum adapter plate to use between the manifold and the head.  I wouldn't want to go from the square ports to round inside that half inch, but you could probably go about halfway, and then port the head halfway to square, to make a nice smooth transition.  If you bolted the plate to the head and then ported them together to match the 22R-E gasket opening it would be nice and smooth and probably wouldn't bit into the head enough to cause any trouble.  Then get longer manifold studs, trim the 20R intake gasket to match the ports, and away you go.

I know "the guy".  He has some funny ideas (no worse than mine), but is not a crackpot.

Tice [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »
Thanks man, :thumbs: That was exaclty what I was thinking of. Using an adapter plate or wleding up a whole new intake runner to fit the 20r head. I just can't weld aluminum! :shake_head:   Does anyone know if the bolts are in the same place?

www.wheelingarizona.com

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2007, 03:47:47 PM »
I'll order a 20R gasket and compare it to the 22R-E one just to see what they look like.

Tice [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2007, 04:18:06 PM »
Not a bad idea. :yesnod:  I'll run down to the local parts store and just compare the two.

www.wheelingarizona.com

dcg9381

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2007, 01:28:39 PM »
Because the 20r head ports are round, I'd think it would be relatively easy to fabricate up an intake manifold for it...   Might talk to Tim @ DOA, I thought he did a port conversion, similar to what oldmage has done also.. probably cost prohibitive.

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:22:08 PM »
It wouldn't be too hard for someone with the ability to weld (preferably aluminum), but I think I'd much rather modify the existing manifold - weld the ports down to a round shape - or just make an adapter plate.  I compared the two gaskets today to see what is the same and what is different.  I don't have a 22RE manifold to look at right now, but as long as coolant flow and volume through the tall rectangular outlet betwee ports 1 and 2 is not absolutely critical, I don't see any reason this wouldn't work.

http://public.fotki.com/te51levin/manifold-gaskets/

The red area is the port shape difference between 20R and 22R.  Not too radical, really, and practically zero at the roof and floor.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2007, 11:21:48 PM »
So should I pick up an efi setup on the next 1/2 price day at pnp?  I know a guy who's really good at tigging aluminum, but I don't think he'd be cheap!

Edit:  I know somebody else who's fairly good and has some more metal working tools, maybe could grind it smooth?  You remember the guy in slc who used to have that austin mini? 
RIP KYOTA

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:13:54 AM »
Yeah, definately - in fact, if they are cheap enough, grab one for me too.  I never get to the yards anymore.  And I definately don't want to run a carbonator on that truck if I can help it.

Is it bad to stockpile parts for a vehicle you don't actually own yet?   ::)

Tice [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:24:55 PM »
They look damn close.   I'll have to take a look at my manifold this weekend and compare.  I think the port between 1 and 2  is for the thermostat. Right? As long as I can make them match up it'll be fine! :dunno:  I got a friend that can weld anything, he is the welding instructor at the college!  Might have to swing by his place this weekend too.

Thanks for all the info te51levin!! :thumbs: :beerchug:

www.wheelingarizona.com

Tice [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:27:08 PM »
Nope I dont think that the thermostat area! :hammerhead:

www.wheelingarizona.com

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile

Tice [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2007, 02:13:28 PM »
I think you're right:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/22R-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-FOR-SIDEDRAFT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36474QQihZ016QQitemZ260074163087QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Yeah, I went out and looked at it after I said that.  I'm gonna find an intake for the re and have a friend weld it. Then I'm gonna start grinding on it. :gap:

www.wheelingarizona.com

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2007, 10:57:48 PM »
i think i might have to give this a try