Author Topic: FIREBALL'S not a 4wd project (4AGZE sandrail)  (Read 12116 times)

Oregon Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 197
  • Member since Nov '05
  • GET IT!!!
    • View Profile
Re: FIREBALL'S not a 4wd project (4AGZE sandrail)
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2007, 03:05:09 AM »
   If i'm not mistaken but aren't air shocks made for crawling, not baja, jumping style. I think they over heat to quickly and blow. besides that lookin good :thumbs:
1992 yota truggy, 37" boggers, 7m-w56-duals, 85' front axle w/44 joints, 4 Link-coils in rear, marlin springs front, and ur mom in the passenger seat!!!

FIREBALL [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2007, 07:13:47 AM »
On a long race like a baja race i'm sure that would be the case, especially on a heavier vehicle. Most of the duning that I do is relatively short spurts not long sustained runs. Check out this link to a video of a similar but a little smaller car....... http://www.sinistersandsports.com/2-seater_short1.wmv

Mike, thanks for the pointers. They are not equal. The upper bar is shorter, however i'm catchin what you're throwin down. You'd be surprised at how little the steering geometry matters in one of these cars though. The front is usually barely on the ground and you use the turning brakes more than anything. This car won't even have front brakes.
When are you coming up? My sushi chef awaits!!

86, the rear is going to be linked similar to the front. I'm probably going to use the MR2 hub and brakes but that's about it. I haven't decided if i'm going with the cv's or not. The SC cv's are supposed to be stronger to start with, but because the transaxle is offset and I want the axles to be equal i'm going to have to make some changes. I considering using u-joints instead, but i've got to do somemore research. I've seen a couple of rails with this setup and the nice thing is if your geometry isn't perfect the slip in the shaft will take it up. It would also allow me to keep the drive axles a little shorter yet still get good travel.

Oregon Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 197
  • Member since Nov '05
  • GET IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:08:01 PM »
WOW thats awesome I want one. Do you know what kind of motor is in the rail in the video, the rail flys.
1992 yota truggy, 37" boggers, 7m-w56-duals, 85' front axle w/44 joints, 4 Link-coils in rear, marlin springs front, and ur mom in the passenger seat!!!

FIREBALL [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2007, 02:55:56 PM »
I'm not positive it that one is the same as his other vids, but one of them says it's a 600 ninja motor. Those rails are a bit lighter than what i'm building, but I don't think i'm enough heavier to cause a prob with the airshox.
They also will build them with the Hyabusa motor.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:42:42 PM »
Interesting...I have a honda vfr800 engine sitting around.  I wanted to find a light rail to put it in, but nothing's ever lined up.  11,000 rpm from a v4 can sound in-frickin-credible, kinda like a hairy little v8.

A hyabusa engine would be pretty sweet too!  They put em in some little cart style race cars and they frickin rock!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:50:25 PM »
Watching with interest here.  Got a naturally asphyxiated 4AG hybrid in my own MR2 and am a big fan of these engines.  There's lots of potential in them!  The later GZEs like yours are supposed to be really tough, should the urge to turbocharge it (with out without supercharger) strike you.

FIREBALL [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 05, 2007, 07:15:05 AM »
Ya, the turbo is pretty tempting. I'm gonna try it out this way first and see how it hangs. I've got a Super AFC for it too, but now in the little reading i've done lately it seems most guys are running the megasquirt so we'll have to see how the AFC works out.

That 800 should make a small car scoot. Do some searching on the web for "short sandcars". That should bring up a few hits on motorcycle powered cars. You could probably get enough ideas from the websites to be able to bend your own up. I've also seen the smaller frames on ebay a couple of times. Not as common as the regular rails but they do come up occasionally.
I'd love to have a car the you could spin up to 11grand!!

FIREBALL [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jan 05, 2007, 07:37:16 AM »
Mikey, I cycled the suspension and from resting (with how it's adjusted now) it has about 1.5-2deg of neg camber, at full compression it has about 4deg.

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jan 05, 2007, 08:38:39 AM »
Ya, the turbo is pretty tempting. I'm gonna try it out this way first and see how it hangs. I've got a Super AFC for it too, but now in the little reading i've done lately it seems most guys are running the megasquirt so we'll have to see how the AFC works out.

I'm running MSnS-E on my car.  It's really nice being able to adjust EVERYTHING, although it is definately a steep learning curve.  I'd rather do that than start stacking piggybacks on an existing management system.  If you have the stock harness and ECU from the clip, it might make sense to get it running on that, and then convert to MS later.  It won't exactly be slow with the stock management anyway.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jan 05, 2007, 08:51:17 AM »
anybody know where i can get a super charger? i have a ae86 twin cam corolla that would love some boost!!1

mike?? chime here dood!!! :beerchug:

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jan 05, 2007, 10:49:19 AM »
You might find someone on hachiroku.net or mr2oc.com selling the SC, but you'll need a lot more than just the charger.  You'd probably be better off getting a complete clip like FIREBALL did, and replacing the whole engine.  That way you get the stronger internals too, rather than trying to put boost on a stock bigport NA engine.

Actually, if you did that, you could put your AE86 engine in my TE51.  Something to think about!

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jan 05, 2007, 10:52:50 AM »
You might find someone on hachiroku.net or mr2oc.com selling the SC, but you'll need a lot more than just the charger.  You'd probably be better off getting a complete clip like FIREBALL did, and replacing the whole engine.  That way you get the stronger internals too, rather than trying to put boost on a stock bigport NA engine.

Actually, if you did that, you could put your AE86 engine in my TE51.  Something to think about!

ya, a buddy of mine and i bought this ae86 for 300.oo and are trying to keep it super cheap, it is a drift machine though!! it has a lsd in the rear, 5spd, and bald tires!! ive boosted n/a motors before, 4 or 5 psi is about the limit until things go pop....so we where hoping to find an mr2 s/c and run 3 or 4 pounds of boost...just for an extra giggle or seven

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #42 on: Jan 05, 2007, 12:31:07 PM »
You most definitely want to Supercharge a 4A engine using a GZE bottom end. Everything is WWAAYY beefier: Stronger Crank, Rods, Pistons.

If you can get a non-US bottom end, then it is better because of the added 4-oil piston squirter/coolers, and higher compression (8.9:1 vs 8.0:1)
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

FIREBALL [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jan 05, 2007, 12:35:48 PM »
How much are you thinking about paying for a SC?

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jan 05, 2007, 01:21:20 PM »
How much are you thinking about paying for a SC?
well we werent really that serious about it, but if i saw one for a hundred bucks or something i would pick it up- i dont know, just a thought...if someone had one layin around without a purpose i would take it :thumbs:

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jan 05, 2007, 01:22:48 PM »
that short little F'rs gonna be a handful!! looks like a blast!

FIREBALL [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jan 05, 2007, 10:02:40 PM »
Shoot, I figure it's going to be completely out of control.... LOL but at least I can blame the car instead of my own bad driving.

FIREBALL [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jan 26, 2007, 07:53:37 PM »
Well, haven't made much progress lately, but getting ready to start back on it again. Had to do some modding to the toy hauler for some upcoming trips.
Got my airshox in finally. Can't wait to get the mounts fabed up. Got a great deal at http://www.off-roadproducts.com/2_0_air_shock.html  $199 with free shipping!! on all airshox up to 16" travel and only $25 more for the 18"s.
More pics to come soon.

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Apr 01, 2007, 03:27:55 PM »
updates!!

???
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Apr 01, 2007, 08:43:36 PM »
X2!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!