Author Topic: YotaDave85's Exo Cage and Bumper Build (& Wheelin pics)  (Read 54188 times)

MisfitDave

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
I'm in North Salt Lake ZukIzzy, I grew up in Seattle so I don't even know where hyrum is, I've heard of it though! Where are you now?

well Wheel spacers were here around 11 this morning and I'm up till midnight messing around again!  But she lives, :driving: you are looking at the finished product... well not really but here's what I've accomplished so far;
1. Marlin's 5" Trailflex kit
2. Hysteer Crossover
3. Converted manual steering system to Power steering system
4. Installed Diffs from MC with 5.29s and Lockright lockers front and rear
5. Learned a ton of sh** along the way!! :idea: And gained some welding and fab experience too!  :flamer:
Don't mind the dust she'll get a good cleaning when its light out.  Also I need the drive shafts still and the front alignment is way off. And the ever fun Saturday full of grinding I'll spend to get that steering gear box mount plate off and moved forward.  :smack: Ain't she beautiful??  :love:
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007, 01:15:15 AM by YotaDave85 »

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
 :thumbs: She looks good!

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
 :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: nice truck Yota D!  That is one massive 85.   :thumbsup: :booya: :boobs: :respect:

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
What brand of rims are those, they look really good.

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Nice buildup!!! 
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Nice truck,

Hyrum is near Logan, nobody has heard of it even some of us who lived there :greengrin:. I am in Ca now and don't miss shoveling that white stuff. I have been here 20 years so it is home now. Good looking build. :clap:

Wayne

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
What brand of rims are those, they look really good.

probably the basic rock crawler rim?? cheap but sexy

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
Hey man who's gonna do your shafts?  You know tom woods is up here in ogden?http://www.4xshaft.com

Rainer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
What size tires are those? 35s. Looks good, nice truck.

Mark
!!!FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE!!!!!!!!
1985 Toyota 4runner
22re rebuilt(offroad cam, internalls from enginebuilder)
5.29s with elockers f/r (high pinion front, v6 rear)
3inch suspensions 2 inch body
33 inch mixed tires. (bfg at, firestone at?)

MisfitDave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
The rims are a daytona uniques or something like that, they are actually cheaper than the rock crawler, got em at discount for about $55 a wheel (15x10), and the tires are Goodyear's MTr wrangler 35x12.50.  Only thing I didn't like about the wheels were there pride stripe imitations, for some reason I really don't like those, but once they were on and I was looking at the BIG picture I think my blue truck can pull it off. :burnout:
Hey man who's gonna do your shafts?  You know tom woods is up here in ogden?http://www.4xshaft.com
I'm gonna take it in to Tatton's Driveline here in Salt Lake.  One of the guys at teraflex in slat lake highly recommended him, and just talking to the guy at Tatton's he sounded like he was more interested in helping find what I needed than making money, and customer service goes along ways with me.  He even said he'd use his forklift to flex my truck out so we could figure what kind of shafts I needed, nice.  I've never heard of Tom Woods, and ogden is a heck of a drive.
Also, I just wanted to thank everyone again for all the tech help and opinions, I don't know how I would have done it without it all!! So here's to you guys!!  :bowdown::beer: :beerchug: :beer: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007, 09:59:45 PM by YotaDave85 »

MisfitDave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
Drove her up the hill and back today, the power steering was amazing compared to the manual steering before, it ran great.  The only problem was the brakes, even after bleeding at each wheel they still had horrible stopping power.  Slamming the foot to the floor the truck would still roll and slow gradually.  Not what I expected from the V6 calipers and rotors, and the 1" bore.  So is it something I did, or is it the master cylinder? What do you guys think?
(also pics in the daylight) Just to give you an idea of how high it rides, thats me and I'm 6'1". :muscles: :rockingout:

Trying to flex on a snow mound in the driveway... kinda sad but I got excited! :woohoo:

Tomorrow I'll get the rack together and mounted and maybe the lights wired too, we'll see if it gets into the 40s again.  Its easier to get stuff done when its warmer.
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2007, 01:05:47 AM by YotaDave85 »

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
As far as the brakes go, do you have the calipers on the correct sides? The bleeders must be up for all the air to be purged.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

MisfitDave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
Yep bleeders are up

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Are the shoes and drums good in the rear? The rear gives you most of your pedal. Did you remove the proportioning valve?

MisfitDave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
I haven't removed the LSPV yet, I'm waiting for the Proportioning valve from FROR to get here, so I just zip tied the lever arm up and out of the way.  But when I get the new proportioning valve on and it still has poor stopping is it the master cylinder?

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Assuming you have bled everything correctly, your rear brakes are good and properly adjusted, and you have no leaks, I would say check your master. I received a bad FJ80 master out of the box from a parts store.

Rainer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
Man that is a clean ride..................needs some character. Just kidding. I love the look of it. Awsome truck. Wish I had a toyota that looked that clean.

Mark
!!!FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE!!!!!!!!
1985 Toyota 4runner
22re rebuilt(offroad cam, internalls from enginebuilder)
5.29s with elockers f/r (high pinion front, v6 rear)
3inch suspensions 2 inch body
33 inch mixed tires. (bfg at, firestone at?)

MisfitDave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
Thanks Rainer.  :help: I have a problem, I hosed out under the hood a few days ago and the dash went out, no fuel gauge, temp gauge, the blinkers went out, but I still have headlights and speedometer.  I figured I got a fuse wet or something so let it go, but today went to drive it to the driveline place and the dash is still dead, it doesn't even beep at me before I start it up.  Any ideas about what it might be? :help:
Some good news though Tatton's is machining my drive shafts right now, a custom flange and 12" of slip in the front, and 8" of slip in the back. They'll be done tomorrow afternoon!! :rockingout:  :willynilly:

MisfitDave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
Re: Newbie's '85 Pickup Build (Dead Dash!?!?)
« Reply #138 on: Feb 08, 2007, 09:45:53 PM »
Drive shafts are done, I'll post pics tomorrow.  Any ideas on the dead dash and turn signals?? :confused:

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
could the water have caused a short making a fuse blow? have you checked the fuses
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
nice clean build i love a truck that is not all hack jobed together.
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

MisfitDave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
Me and Some buddies went and mudded around for a while then tested out our truck's flex on this rock.  My buddy brought his bobbed 85 pickup with gears and lockers. It was great to finally see all the hard work pay off, the flex is amazing.  :turtle: Thank you Marlin!

Also I found the fuse that was blown, replaced it and it worked till I turned it off and started it again, then it blew again.  So I either find the cause or put a bigger fuse in?? :confused:

MisfitDave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
Here's us messing around, nothing to get excited about but kinda cool.  :willynilly:
http://www.livevideo.com/flvplayer/embed/A5525891E52A4C45A0A34787136300CC
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2007, 04:38:00 PM by YotaDave85 »

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
:thumbs: Truck looks great video link would not work for me.

85WhiteBoy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
Geez the white Pickup sure seems small next to the blue one...  pics look good, the truck looks even better in person!

MisfitDave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
Get The 5" Trailflex kit and it won't be so small!  We could have it on and all the tubing on in time to go to Moab! :woohoo:

85WhiteBoy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
after seeing the 5" trailflex kit, i have been thinking about those 4" leafs front and rear for my truck

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
Dude you went out and didn't invite me  :nope: truck looks pimp where did you guys go? Bountiful??? Farmington??  :beerchug:

MisfitDave [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
Yeah, sorry man. it was a short notice thing, our buddy was up from vegas for the weekend, I had to work the night before so I cut sleep to go wheelin.  We were up by the V, its just north of the B in bountiful.  It has some serious mud lakes and we ended up pulling akid out on his quad who was stuck in the middle of one.  I'll let you know next time we go if you want.  I'm still lookin to head up towards that place near logan you were talking about.  :thumbs:

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
It's cool dude I'm just givin ya  :pokinit: but i know exactly where your talking we rode dirt bikes all over by there last summer.  Bountiful over to farmington and all in between is fun but doesn't match Logan's run, we'll have to go up there for sure a couple of times this summer.  I just ordered my gears Friday and I'm still waiting on the rear spring front u-bolt flip kit and steering arms.  Once i get it all I'll be catching up to you real quick buddy. Again nice truck man I've showed your link to a bunch of people and tell em "that's what my truck is going to look like"  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: