Author Topic: Transmissions and transfercases in '94-95 4Runners??  (Read 5184 times)

fahrenheit 451

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Transmissions and transfercases in '94-95 4Runners??
« on: Feb 11, 2004, 03:38:35 PM »
 So far I still haven't been able to find a '94-95 4Runner with the features I want, namely 4cyl, 5sp, and no power options.  Essentially, I want my old '85 EFI with 4 doors.  This does, however provide me more time to get some info on the newer 4Runners that could help me out a lot.
My two main questions are what transmissions come in the '94-95 5sp 4Runners and are they set up with full time transfercases?  
If I can ever come up with one, I plan on doing a solid axle swap and want to wind up with the strongest mix of factory tranny and transfercase that they came from the factory with and don't want anything to do with a full-time set up.
How would I determine what the vehicle comes with? Any info would be appreciated.

Chris

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
i'm not totally positive, but i think that a 22RE 4runner would have a gear driven 21 spline case behind a w56, and the v6 would have a 23 spline chaindrive case behind a R150F

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
To begin with, it is going to be very difficul to find a 94-95' 22R 4 runner. I cannot recall ever seeing one! It is hard enought just to find a V6 5 speed.

Toyota never made a full time t/case setup in the runners. Only FJ 80's had that feature.

90-95' 4 cyl runners came with the shift on the fly G58 with a chain driven, 26 spline t/case. This is a lighter duty trans. Hub flanges instead of locking hubs and a axle disconnect sleeve on the front left axle shaft.

Also available is the stronger W56, and the 21 spline gear driven t/case :greengrin: Always had manual hubs.

Hope this helps, and good luck

MC
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

fahrenheit 451 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
To begin with, it is going to be very difficul to find a 94-95' 22R 4 runner. I cannot recall ever seeing one! It is hard enought just to find a V6 5 speed.

Toyota never made a full time t/case setup in the runners. Only FJ 80's had that feature.

90-95' 4 cyl runners came with the shift on the fly G58 with a chain driven, 26 spline t/case. This is a lighter duty trans. Hub flanges instead of locking hubs and a axle disconnect sleeve on the front left axle shaft.

Also available is the stronger W56, and the 21 spline gear driven t/case :greengrin: Always had manual hubs.

Hope this helps, and good luck

MC

I've found maybe a dozen 94-95 4cyl so far, but they all either had very high mileage, the full option package or both.  Living in the middle of nowhere doesn't help much either. The two nearest large cities that would have some selection are both over 200 miles away.
Toyota really is letting me down!  I had originally assumed that they had at least stuck with the good gear driven case on the 4cyl engines. I have yet to come across any with factory hubs either.
Its starting to not look good for me to come up with the truck I want and still be a Toyota unless I buy something cheap and do a tranny and transmission swap right off the bat. I'm not a hardcore wheeler, but I have been known to get stupid from time to time and want a truck that can take it when I do.
Maybe I'll get lucky and find a 94-95 with hubs and I'll just have to rip out the power windows and door locks  :_order:
Thanks for the info!

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
All you need to do is pull the top off the 85 and you can pull the kid in and out reall easy :yupyup:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Are you sure they were 94-95' runners? I have seen 90-93' runners with 22R's and drove one of them. I recall it was on the doggy side of performance.

I installed a Marlin in a 92' and it had a G58. Its appears that all 4 door 22R runners only got the G58?
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2004, 06:51:47 PM by Marlin »
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

fahrenheit 451 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Are you sure they were 94-95' runners? I have seen 90-93' runners with 22R's and drove one of them. I recall it was on the doggy side of performance.

I installed a Marlin in a 92' and it had a G58. Its appears that all 4 door 22R runners only got the G58?

Yup. I've been hounddogging Autotrader.com for 4Runners and for a while now I have only been searching on '94s and '95s since the '94s were the first with the side impact door beams. Since the next 4Runner will be a "family car", I wanted to get one with better crash ratings. I can't say I care for the ABS and airbags on a 4x4, but that seems to be a minor issue.  Apparently, the ABS does not work in 4 wheel drive and if the airbag does ever go off, I'll just stick a different steering wheel on it. Also, from what little I have gathered so far, there was a change to the intake and plenum on the 94s that gave the 22re a little more pep. I figure on swapping out the motor eventually anyway to something similar to what I have now with bigger piston, valves, taller cam and the like. I don't need to smoke them, just turn them over.
So far, however, all the 4cyls come with the full option package and I have never seen one with factory locking hubs on it which if I understood correctly would mean it would have a gear driven transfercase??  I really don't want to have to start off on a new truck with having to swap out the tranny, transmission and front end. I'm just not that motivated.
If the v6 had any better reputation for fuel economy and durability, I would give up and get one. I've found plenty of them with 5speeds and could swap out to a gear driven case with one of your kits.  DOA's kit to replace the headbolts with studs would cure one problem, but that would still leave what seems to be a sufficeintly frequent problem with the wristpins. I could well be suffering from too much info gathered only from people with complaints though  :dunno:

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
After checking my Toyota parts list, 4 runners only had the W56/gear driven t/case until 8/93'. It was found on the RN130L-GKMSEA  4/89-8/92', and RN130L-GKPSEA  4/89-8/93'.
The shift on the fly chain driven G58 was used from 4/89-8/95'.

I have never looked on Autotrader for used trucks :bowdown:

Thanks for giving me a reason to research this--sorry for the bad news :(

fahrenheit 451 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
After checking my Toyota parts list, 4 runners only had the W56/gear driven t/case until 8/93'. It was found on the RN130L-GKMSEA  4/89-8/92', and RN130L-GKPSEA  4/89-8/93'.
The shift on the fly chain driven G58 was used from 4/89-8/95'.

I have never looked on Autotrader for used trucks :bowdown:

Thanks for giving me a reason to research this--sorry for the bad news :(

Well, it is good news in that I hadn't already bought a '94  :biggthumpup:
Thanks for the great info!  It looks like I'm going to have to start looking at '93's with a very close eye on the serial numbers or give up and get a v6 and swap out the transfercase to a gear drive. I never would have thought that buying a "good" 4Runner would be so much work.
By any chance do you know if the RN130L's were released domestically? I am assuming the RN130L relates to the automotive serial number JT3RN130L-----. After a quick run around the net so far I have only found 4cyl 4Runners with ***RN37W*****.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
I got these numbers from my Toyota microfishe.
The RN130L-GKMSEA, and RN130L-GKPSEA are domestic. (North American.)
Also listed is the RN131L-RKMSEK, and RN131L-RKPSEK. These are Canadian trucks.
I only looked at the 4 door versions.

MC

fahrenheit 451 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I got these numbers from my Toyota microfishe.
The RN130L-GKMSEA, and RN130L-GKPSEA are domestic. (North American.)
Also listed is the RN131L-RKMSEK, and RN131L-RKPSEK. These are Canadian trucks.
I only looked at the 4 door versions.

MC

In the words of Stimpy, "JOY!"
There's hope anyway!  I may have to surrender and start hitting the car lots and talking with the car salesmen URK....
I guess once every decade isn't so bad...I guess.  I'll still keep my fingers crossed that I can come up with one from a private party.
Thanks again for the great info and quick replies!

Chris

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Chris, I am not real keen with RN130----- numbers.
Maybe the dealer could help you get a better I.D. on the chassis numbers.

Good Luck on your RN130L treasure hunt. :driving:

MC