Author Topic: retreads???  (Read 4312 times)

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: retreads???
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2006, 11:38:22 AM »
Here's the skinny on retreads!

I used to work for Les Schwab Tires, we sold alot of retreads!  First of all, all tires are very thoroughly looked over, and then they x-rayed and whatever scanners they use!  If there is any doubt they are rejected without hesitation!  Then the capping policy of today is incredible!  I would run recaps on a DD! 

As for running them on front steer axles, that's for tractor trailers!  As Glenn has said, most truckers will run new steers for the front axle, and new drives for the rear drive axles and then have the worn out "virgin casings" recapped for trailer tires!

As for the "gators" found along the hwy, there was a study done by many different tire companies and agencies, that 90% of the gators actually started out with a low tire!  Due to low air psi. due to not being checked or due to a object causing the leak, ie. nails, screws, metal objects, bone, rocks, cracks in the wheels, or a bad valve stem!  The other 10% is due to bad capping process, tire separation, or a weak sidewall due to a prior flat tire and repair that wasn't thoroughly inspected!  ie. zipper rip  You never lived until you had a truck tire blow up in your face!  Which can kill you, luckily I heard the cords popping and turned to get away when it blew!!

Now for us wheelers, recaps will work fine, as long as you don't run the air psi down to get the sidewall to flex!  This is especially true if you run in the sand!  The high speeds needed for sand will generate enough heat in the tire to cause the bond between the cap and casing to melt causing the cap to come loose!  As for lower air psi for running in the hills, I wouldn't recommend it!  As the tire flexes, the tire is not going to flex evenly!  The recap is usually a harder rubber compound than the casing!  So, your going to work the casing and the glue that binds the cap to the casing harder which in turn will heat up and possibly weaken the adhesive and/or casing causing the tire to fail!

Hope this helps! 
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2006, 11:42:28 AM by cheesemaker »
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

miks85yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -210
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2006, 06:09:55 AM »
wouldnt they build up that kind of heat drivin on the highway on a hot summer day with a car load of people or gear?

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2006, 10:38:20 PM »
The thing with the motorbike retreads is, they reach temps on the track that your truck tires will never possibly see on the street, unless you're doing burnouts.  You can't imagine how hot a tire can get on a good track session, and then there are the guys who can render a new tire nearly useless in less than one race.  Your street tires will never see that kind of heat, yet those retreads hold together and I'm assuming they'd use a similar process. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Travota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Dec '02
  • creepin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2006, 01:19:15 PM »
Thanks Kevin and Blackdog for the first hand knowledge about the company.
85 toy
01 Silverado

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 26, 2006, 12:52:06 PM »
finally got that pic scanned in, here are some 35/14.5 boggers retreaded in skidster tires

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 26, 2006, 06:43:25 PM »
I dig man!  I wonder what they'd be like cut?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 27, 2006, 04:46:30 PM »
Thanks Kevin and Blackdog for the first hand knowledge about the company.

don't forget Cheesmaker, he's the guy that used to sell them.

Cheesemaker, thanks for explaining why the airing down doesnt work.  I couldn't remember why the guy told me that.  :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent