Author Topic: Any Musicians  (Read 5383 times)

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Re: Any Musicians
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2006, 09:06:59 AM »
i cannot wait to see who else plays... i also can't wait to start up again...

military_stang
:respect:

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 02, 2006, 02:46:34 PM »
I play whenever I can. I love to play.

Mark
!!!FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE!!!!!!!!
1985 Toyota 4runner
22re rebuilt(offroad cam, internalls from enginebuilder)
5.29s with elockers f/r (high pinion front, v6 rear)
3inch suspensions 2 inch body
33 inch mixed tires. (bfg at, firestone at?)

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 02, 2006, 02:50:13 PM »
I love playing my trumpet, but being in the military and working almost 14 hour shifts makes it hard for me to have a set schedual to practice.... plus we have 14 month old that goes to bed early, so it's kinda hard to find that special time to keep myself going.

I though of joining the military band, but i don't really want to be told how and when to play.... it's just me, i don't like people telling me how i can and can't play... oh well

military_stang

Travota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Dec '02
  • creepin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2006, 02:52:43 PM »
hell ya SKA my alltime favorite    :clap:   :beer:
85 toy
01 Silverado

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2006, 02:54:53 PM »
i love SKA, but there arn't a lot of people out here in Utah that like that type of La Musica... oh well though, i will survive, lol

military_stang

82rustbeast

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 318
  • Male Posts: 500
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2006, 09:20:45 PM »
Play Telecaster (First Act offy brand) plugged into a Marshall MG15CD combo ghetto wired into a Yamaha 4x12 250 Watt cab sent with a digitech RP50 FX pedal. I play pantera, ozzy, system, metallica van halen, and lotsa other stuff.

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2006, 11:00:03 PM »
I have a Bach Stratvarious Trumpet. I have been playing since i was in the 6th grade. It's been a while since i have played it because i'm in the military, but i plan on picking up on it again.. i love playing Jazz, funk, Ska, and classical.

military_stang

Interesting. I am indeed a trumpet player, as is my brother and my father.

I have a Bach Stradivarious Model 43 with the rounded-crook and reversed lead-pipe.
It plays much smoother and opened it upconsiderably with these modifications.
I also have Bach Stradivarious Model 25, which cannot be purchased anymore.

I have a laundry list of trumpets for different applications.

I really love my horns.

I have:
Selmer Piccolo trumpet with many shanks.
Flugel horn, but only use it once in a blue moon.
Getzen B-flat Eterna II (early Doc Severinsen Model from the "Tonight Show with Johnny Carson")
Benge B-Flat with .468 bore (This is clearly a loud trumpet made for rodeos and situations where projection and cutting, solid sound is a must) It also takes a large amount of air to play.
Bach D-Trumpet
Getzen C-Trumpet (gotta love those nickel valve linings, smooth as glass) extremely smooth, but extremely precise.
No cornets.

mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 03, 2006, 04:21:44 AM »
Interesting. I am indeed a trumpet player, as is my brother and my father.

I have a Bach Stradivarious Model 43 with the rounded-crook and reversed lead-pipe.
It plays much smoother and opened it upconsiderably with these modifications.
I also have Bach Stradivarious Model 25, which cannot be purchased anymore.

I have a laundry list of trumpets for different applications.

I really love my horns.

I have:
Selmer Piccolo trumpet with many shanks.
Flugel horn, but only use it once in a blue moon.
Getzen B-flat Eterna II (early Doc Severinsen Model from the "Tonight Show with Johnny Carson")
Benge B-Flat with .468 bore (This is clearly a loud trumpet made for rodeos and situations where projection and cutting, solid sound is a must) It also takes a large amount of air to play.
Bach D-Trumpet
Getzen C-Trumpet (gotta love those nickel valve linings, smooth as glass) extremely smooth, but extremely precise.
No cornets.

Good Grief im jelous now... wow, you do like to play... i miss it a lot and right now i don't play. I'm not sure with model number i have for the Strat., but i know it's one of the two of those. If you can believe me, Doc Severinsen is my cousin.... i might not have meet him in person yet, but it is cool having a famous person in the family. I hope to meet up with you some day a kick a few notes... by the way, where are you located at????

I started playing my Strat in high school when i was a freshman.... little to say i had a bright future in the music industry, except for the problem of me being to wrapped up in everything else, lol. By the time i was a junior in HS, i had a full ride to a music school, can't remember the name of hand right now, but i'm sure if i dug in my music folder i could tell ya..... it wasn't a huge school, but one dedicated to performing arts... man i was dumb for joining the military... haha... but thats me...

military_stang

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 03, 2006, 04:58:39 AM »
Good Grief im jelous now... wow, you do like to play... i miss it a lot and right now i don't play. I'm not sure with model number i have for the Strat., but i know it's one of the two of those. If you can believe me, Doc Severinsen is my cousin.... i might not have meet him in person yet, but it is cool having a famous person in the family. I hope to meet up with you some day a kick a few notes... by the way, where are you located at????
military_stang

I surely did enjoy playing Sir. I got out of the industry because of crappy pre-recorded music. It's just like anything else: there is always someone wanting something for nothing. Also, I got out because of the sub-level of playing/performance. I was never a fan of lowering the bar to allow more students to enroll. I believed a student should be able to play in order to get into the band. I know I had to audition for the Alabama Youth Symphony Orchestra (I was Principal every year I played except for my first year). I was also played 1st Chair/1st Trumpet in Alabama for six consecutive years (while I was playing). I played anything and everything because I couldn't get enough of it. I just am saddened with where music, or rather so-called educators of music have gone. I have always been performance minded and I hate to see the level of mediocrity in music. Some things I hear today that people call music is total trash.

The real players of the day and those who should be remembered are those like your cousin Doc Severinsen. I have a great respect for Doc Severinsen's lead man Chuck Findley. He was truly a master of his instrument and the art of the trumpet. I don't doubt you for a second. If you say he is your cousin, then I'll believe you that he is your cousin. The greats of the day (particularly speaking from a brass, but more specifically from a trumpet background) ranging from a number of genres of music were Maynard Ferguson, Bill Chase, Arturo Sandoval, Chuck Mangione, Jon Faddis, Lew Soloff, and a handful of others. It is plain and simple...there are simply no replacements for these people, or at least I haven't heard any and I have quite an extensive trumpet "you-name-it" library.

I did not mean to come off as venting there Sir Stang, I am just tellin' like it is man.

I do solute you though. Don't ever forget Doc Severinsen or those that performed on his level. There is something to be said for players of those times....

Hell, let's not forget about Al Hirt and Pete Fountain...they were a great duo in music...the list goes on and on from back in the day, but I just don't see things the same way these days.
mrkupfer@gmail.com

Travota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Dec '02
  • creepin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 03, 2006, 05:29:15 AM »
i love SKA, but there arn't a lot of people out here in Utah that like that type of La Musica... oh well though, i will survive, lol

military_stang

ya there isnt to many people 'round here into it either I usually end up playing in some horrible punk band that only last for a few months.....I do what I gotta to play.
85 toy
01 Silverado

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Dec 03, 2006, 05:59:08 AM »
HAHA, it's all good.. i didn't think you were venting to me, lol. Trust me, i know what your talking about. I tell you what, when i started playing in the 6th grade, i knew i had a natural ability to play (not trying to sound to cocky), and so did my teachers..... and i emphasise the "s" in teachers. My biggest downfall during my years of playing was simply my teachers. I didn't get the simple push to make me better.... now yes, i know i could have driven myself to better and higher heights, but i was to involved in football and wrestling to actually worry about music.

The only years that i had a good... no, great teacher, was my sophomore - senior year. His name is Mr. Shuling. I loved this dude. I had never had anyone push me so hard to be so good. Now seeing as i didn't have a teacher who wanted to push me to be better, i litterally didn't know the notes in front of me.  Sure i could play the little black things on the line, but i couldn't tell you what the lines where, what the letters for the notes where, i couldn't even tell you how to sing the cord in front of me... but yes, i could play damn well. Mr Shuling pushed me from the moment he came into my high school, and this was the greatest thing that could have happened to me... it pushed me to be the person i am today...(HA, which i love so much, lol).... All in all, he is one of my biggest hero's in life... truly... i love music....

And to go back to the whole thing on no natural music going on these day... HOLY CRAP, i though i was the only one these days who thought that!!! It's been in my head what music is about, and these days just aren't cutting it. My FAVORITE ( i like caps lock) types of music are Jazz, Symphonic, Classical, Ska, and Country.... for me i just cannot get into the whole music about people killing people, lets do drugs, and lets b@ng some h@e's... i think it's absolutely retarded...and yes, it is true... i do sit down and listen to rap and techno once in a while, but that is only cause i find it intriguing to figure out how that type or how that song was put together, i love to break it down to each rhythm and beat.... i know, I'm just weird....

Again, I'm not trying to come off as cocky or like i am mad at someone, this is just me. I love music and everything there is about music... i just hope it keeps going , and in the right direction.....

military_stang

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec 03, 2006, 08:21:36 AM »
Play Telecaster (First Act offy brand) plugged into a Marshall MG15CD combo ghetto wired into a Yamaha 4x12 250 Watt cab sent with a digitech RP50 FX pedal. I play pantera, ozzy, system, metallica van halen, and lotsa other stuff.

You an me play most of the same stuff. Nice ghetto rig. But hey im sure it gets the job done. I have a CRate Blue Voodoo the classic version. IT does me good. Im thinkning of getting a peavey valve king though.

Mark
1985 Toyota 4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec 03, 2006, 11:22:47 PM »
now yes, i know i could have driven myself to better and higher heights, but i was to involved in football and wrestling to actually worry about music.

The only years that i had a good... no, great teacher, was my sophomore - senior year. His name is Mr. Shuling. I loved this dude. I had never had anyone push me so hard to be so good.

And to go back to the whole thing on no natural music going on these day... HOLY CRAP, i though i was the only one these days who thought that!!! It's been in my head what music is about, and these days just aren't cutting it. My FAVORITE ( i like caps lock) types of music are Jazz, Symphonic, Classical, Ska, and Country....
military_stang

Yes Sir, Mr. Stang you are right on on a couple of points. It is indeed teachers from the old-school of thought like your experiences with Mr. Shuling that should be promoted, not the superficial and frankly unredeeming noise some call rap. Sure, there is a place for rap, but it is certainly not in any institution for classical music training. After all, I don't know anyone who has said, "I would love to go to Julliard or Berkeley to learn the wonderful music that is rap."
That must be for a reason, but I am getting a little off-track.

I know that those who have to play for a living or have played for a living don't appreciate how educated idiots (mostly people at the high school level) have let music deteriorate at the beginner level. They have made music more appealing by lowering the standard to have more students enrolled and I just don't see this type of behavior being benevolent to anyone at all and it is definitely not good for the students.

I have had rigorous training as a musician and I am appreciative because it taught me a discipline like no other. Music has been very dear to me and my family, but it just drives me up the wall when I see people who believe in the "money for nothing, and the check for free" theory and don't do their job. Yes, we see this everywhere, but music should be a thing of passion, not a "because I have too" thing for students or "it looks good on paper" thing.Of course, those students quickly find that they are not competitive against those who are doing because they love it.

I have a classical, symphonic trumpet upbringing and I can whole-heartedly say that it is difficult and next to impossible to make a living these days as a musician. This is why I am in school for medicine.

I know that Mrs. Mammoth could probably remember how hard her father practiced(es) to perform as a professional musician. (I believe she said he was a professional musician).

My father used to travel the US playing all major rodeos, ice shows, stage performances and playing with major symphonies.

It is no surprise that I could have bitter feelings towards pre-recorded music or otherwise someone putting a tape in place of a live band....

I can also say that Harper-Morgan's sales went down as well as Barnum and Bailey's, just to name a couple, due to their getting rid of the live band.

I know people who pay for a ticket at the ice shows always enjoyed live performance over a cheap tape.

Live performance is always more exciting.

There is something to be said for live band performance in many situations.

A live jazz band is great at any occasion (except a funeral, but with that said, when one of my friends died and his jazz group performed his favorite numbers).

It is just unbelievable how people have forgotten how to dance because the loss of classical music.

Dancing and music go hand in hand. Of course, once again, it is difficult to say that the "supposed dancing" we see accompanying the garbage music that is among us these days, is anything desirable or classy. It is ostentatious and it is morally bankrupt.

It is no wonder teens have elevated emotions and a general lack of class these days.

mrkupfer@gmail.com

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 03, 2006, 11:40:30 PM »
Oh, you have me going here Sir Stang!

I don't know about you, but what is it with the fascination of youth with these drug-promoting, immoral clubs with this crazy, "a little less than impressive" music? You may or may not have these in your town, but Birmingham, Alabama is overwhelmed with trashy venues like this.

That is to say, if you are a hard-working, decent gentlemen in my neck of the woods and want to take your wife out to a classic meal while listening to a great, quiet little jazz group playing...you surely wouldn't take her to a "club" in Birmingham, Alabama.

Furthermore, we know that the term "club" has certainly been demoralized and degraded over the years as well regarding public places in town.

Restaurants do not offer this either and I think it is just a shame that 1) no musicians have a place to work and 2) people cannot expect a nice place/environment for an evening for two.

The only high-class place I know of in my town to go to with a significant other is the country club I attend.

There are rules, and if you don't abide, you get kicked out.

This is not hard to understand, but "those" who know they are not up to par, simply stay out and I guess this is the way it should be. I must also add that this is an original, quiet, and decent place that offers a live stage band that is completely soothing to listen to at the end of the day, instead of just popping in a tape.

I mean, seriously, how much emotion can a tape have!

The only reason I mention the above, is to show that we see a general decay in many aspects of life and society, but particularly with music.

What can I say, people just aren't playing anymore and why would they want to play for nothing being a professional.

Might as well hang it up as a professional trumpet player unless you want to be a studio player in L.A. or New York....

Of course, one might be okay as a trumpet professor at the university level, but I will certainly not deal with mediocrity at any level, so this is why I don't teach.

It is a sad time for music and its performers....

With that said, I think most of the arts are having a hard time right now, but we don't want to get too far off-topic....

mrkupfer@gmail.com

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:33:28 AM »
You bring up a lot of great point's... but i must say this first: If you ever want a "club" to go and hear some great blue's jazz, straight Jazz or any type or Jazz there is, head my way in the next 10 years or so (haha, long time away), i am going to be building my own restaurant. It's going to be a family oriented place where live bands play while you eat your lunch or dinner.

I have never seen a place like this, and i am damned determined to make it my own.

To go a long with your fascination of our youth these days... Shoot, i don't even know. The craze over crap that warps your mind and makes your do dumb crap seems absolutely and underly stupid to me. I don't understand how people can get so wrapped up in music that talks about rapping girls, smoking weed, and slapping hoes.... HOW THE HELL IS THIS GOOD MUSIC.... what ever happened to teacher intellect and interaction with there students. I must say that i had it well in my public school system. The teachers that i had contact with made my days a lot easier. But now i am getting off topic...

To go on why students/kids these days don't appreciate classical or Jazz is a straight forward answer... It's not appealing to them, it doesn't show there "depressed" feelings, and it sure as hell doesn't have any sex, drugs or alcohol in them..... so why even listen to something that doesn't go along with there "normal" everyday actions??? Not to include the fact that it wouldn't be "COOL" to listen or even be affiliated with that type of music....

I don't know if it's just me, but i don't think that my generation really grasps what it is to work or even have responsability...

i don't know what it is, but this generation confusses me....

military_stang

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:15:07 PM »
Figured i'd pass this on to the Marlin Board. Found it on PBB..

This guys technique and skill is just unbelievable.. I havn't been able to go an hour without listening to it. I think my wifes getting tired of hearing it.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/mckee
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:30:05 PM »
Figured i'd pass this on to the Marlin Board. Found it on PBB..

This guys technique and skill is just unbelievable.. I havn't been able to go an hour without listening to it. I think my wifes getting tired of hearing it.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/mckee

Man!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec 26, 2006, 04:53:19 PM »
That is cool. Wish I could play like that.

Mark
1985 Toyota 4runner

Lowrider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Mar '05
  • campfire wheeler
    • View Profile
    • Yota Masters
« Reply #48 on: Dec 28, 2006, 01:12:46 PM »
Started playing bass guitar in about 7th grade. When i learned the basics of bass guitar i moved up to screwing around with friends electric guitars. Back in high school a friend had an electric guitar and his little sister had a cheapo drum kit. Well, we wanted to make noise so i became the default drummer.  :gap:

After learning the basics (read: how to play a simple punk drum beat; fast and nasty) on the drums i got myself a drum set. Got a job at guitar center (read: huge employee discount) and started buying gear.  :greengrin: My arsenal now consists of a maple pearl session custom 5 piece drumset with Zildjian K & A custom cymbals, 2 semi cheap fender squire guitars, a birds eye maple epiphone classic les paul, An Ibanez bass, a OLP (stands for officially liscensed product :talkingn:) musicman knockoff bass, an Ibanez acoustic guitar, Crate 210 guitar amp with celestion speakers, an Ampeg 210 bass amp, a tascam 414 4 track with a couple sm57 mics as well as various small percusion items. And my 4yo daughter already has a 3 piece drum kit, mini keyboard, bongos, a few toy guitars.

I have a sickness. :beerchug:
www.YotaMasters.com

Lowered Headlights & Disco Lights!

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Dec 28, 2006, 01:20:39 PM »
Thats awsome. I was thinking of getting a job at Guitar center. Id ratyher get a job at a offroad shop though.

Mark
1985 Toyota 4runner

Lowrider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Mar '05
  • campfire wheeler
    • View Profile
    • Yota Masters
« Reply #50 on: Dec 28, 2006, 02:55:54 PM »
Thats awsome. I was thinking of getting a job at Guitar center. Id ratyher get a job at a offroad shop though.

Mark

Working at an offroad shop was my next job.  :gap:
www.YotaMasters.com

Lowered Headlights & Disco Lights!

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Dec 28, 2006, 07:52:09 PM »
I hope it willl be my first. If not then Maybe guitar center. :gap:
1985 Toyota 4runner

dime

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 159
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2007, 10:45:25 AM »
hey its 84_yota_4wd im at dimes house

but any way ive been playing bass 4 3 years and i play a
Frender Squier rock bass my amp is a crate 100w with1 15"
i play alot of my own stuff dont realy play other peoples as it kills you creativity in my mind
but its metal for the most pard alot of drop d on distortion

i use a digitech bass overdrive and a old school dod compressor sutainer

as for fun dime the one who stated me on bass so ive got him to thank for all the pointers
haha
84 pu 529s locker in back 5 inch springs 36s

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2007, 10:47:31 AM »
I play air drums...Pretty good at it too!!!  :rockingout: