Author Topic: Carb Help! Runs only with choke closed. (SOLVED!) (kinda)  (Read 4614 times)

82rustbeast

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 318
  • Male Posts: 500
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Carb Help! Runs only with choke closed. (SOLVED!) (kinda)
« on: Oct 26, 2006, 08:23:04 PM »
I bought this rebuilt carb off someone. It idled high when I first put it on and that was okay. I thought I'd just adjust the idle and all would be good. But after adjusting it. it wont idle anymore. and when the choke opens up it dies. It idles a bit with the choke closed. but once I hit the accelerator, it opens up and dies. Then it wont start up with the choke open so I have to mannually close it by pulling the throttle a bit and close the choke plate. Plus my Throttle Positioner isnt hooked up to anything cus my diagram didnt show it and I dont know where it goes. Please help.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2006, 09:36:56 PM by 82rustbeast »

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Carb Help! Runs only with choke closed.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2006, 12:06:27 PM »
Sounds like a vacuum leak.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

scarboy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2006, 03:51:40 PM »
I second vaccum problems....check the pcv valve hose that goes into the base of the carb....If that isnt there mine does the same thing but when it is on it runs fine...

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2006, 04:05:44 PM »
So that mean your truck is running good?  Got that thing on there?
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2006, 11:05:49 PM »
Wait are there actually gaskets that actually go on each side of the carb spacer. I went to the parts store for two and they didnt have any. not even in the books. So I got gasket paper for my last Toyota and had to make custom gaskets for it. I figured somethin out. I engage the fast idle for it to start, and tap the accelerator to disengage it. then it starts put put idleing acting like its going to die then the RPM's jump up a bit to keep it going. I'm gonna take a look at the vacuum lines again. I completely redid them so I might have put 1 or a few in the wrong place. Keep the Helpful suggestions coming.

paradisetoyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2006, 06:57:24 AM »
i had this same problem with my truck a little while ago. i went and got a new carb thinking that would solve the problem, it didn't. come to find out it was the fuel filter had borken the elemint in side and plugging it off from flowing the fuel.

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2006, 02:11:17 PM »
I haveplenty of fuel flow to the carb. My fuel level is high as I can see through the sight glass. How do I lower the float level?

The truck will start in the morning with no messing with anything. It idles a little high for a few minutes then I tap the accelerator and the RPM's go down and it dies. When i hold the throttle where it sounds like about 700 RPM's the engine shakes a lot. I mean really badly. Then after it dies it wont start again until I pull the throttle open a bit and manually close the choke and within a few cranks it fires right up. then wont idle, shakes really bad, and dies. Help me out. Ive even thught about a new remanufactured carb

veraciouse

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2006, 03:17:10 PM »
I had the same kind of problem with my 84 not long ago. I did everything I could think of, new vacuum lines, fuel filter, pulled the tank and cleaned it out, fuel pump, you name it I probably tried it... I turned out it had some crud in the different holes in the top of the carburetor. I pulled the top of the carb and with a rubber ended blower nozzle from my air compressor blew out all the holes on top of the carb and the carb itself. Make sure to pull the float and needle valve out first. also check the o-rings on the little arms that go across the throat of the carb, one of mine was torn up. after blowing it all out put it back together and see if it worked. Mine runs great now. BTW carb cleaner didn't work blowing them out, not enough pressure i guess. Hope this helps i know how it sucks to not be able to get one to run right.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths...

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2006, 06:25:08 PM »
Wait are there actually gaskets that actually go on each side of the carb spacer. I went to the parts store for two and they didnt have any. not even in the books. So I got gasket paper for my last Toyota and had to make custom gaskets for it. I figured somethin out. I engage the fast idle for it to start, and tap the accelerator to disengage it. then it starts put put idleing acting like its going to die then the RPM's jump up a bit to keep it going. I'm gonna take a look at the vacuum lines again. I completely redid them so I might have put 1 or a few in the wrong place. Keep the Helpful suggestions coming.

Yes there are gaskets, you have to buy the rebuild kit to get them.  it is by a company called Sorensen??  Bout $25 for the kit.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2006, 07:56:59 PM »
You can only get the gaskets with the spacer not seperatly. If you use the wrong gasket material it will not work, just go get the spacer it will come with the proper gaskets.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2006, 06:22:51 PM »
Took off air horn on carb and it was all gunky in the fuel bowl, and the gasket ripped. So I decided to rebuild the carb.

myyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 120
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2006, 05:55:46 PM »
Ok, I just went through this same exact problem you are having, when i got my truck a couple months back it had the wrong carb on it, it had a federal emissions carb on it. the california carb has more vacuum fitting for smog crap. I bought a used carb and put it on and it did the same thing yours is doing, come to find out the accelerator pump passage in the carb was plugged, once i got it cleared the carb started working but not as well as it should, so i pulled it back off and took it a part, it had been full of water and everything was corroded and rusted, i was amazed that i even got it to run so i tossed the whole thing in the trash because it wasn`t rebuildable, but i got lucky though, there was some junk in the bed when i got the truck so when i was digging through it i found the original carb (how lucky could i be) i pulled it a part and it looked like brand new inside so i was wondering why it was removed in the first place ?, turns out the only problem it had was a bad fuel cut solinoid, so i rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel cut solinoid and put it back on my truck and its working good as new.
86 4Runner
Solid Axle Swap, 5'' Of Lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR Tires, 5 Speed Manual Swap, Inchworm Duel Cases With 5.7 Gears, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5''Trail Gear Springs In Front, Marlin Crawler Third Members, 4.88 Gears With A Detroit In The Rear, High Pinion Front With 4.88 Gears and an ARB, Downey Header, Optima Battery, Trail Gear Sliders.

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2006, 10:07:46 PM »
Well I looked up the I.D. #'s on my new carb, its 35070, which is a cali emissions and Ive got a fed truck. I dont notice any differences in either. But i can use a few spare parts from the old carb. The main thing that went wrong in my old carb is the fuel jet. When you accelerate its shoots fuel in the jets. Well mine would get stuck and wouldnt come back out for a few days. Ive already got both apart and cleaning them up a bit. But I havnt been able to get over to Kragens to pick up a rebuild kit. But i'll get it sonn and hopefully the truck will run good.

myyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 120
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2006, 10:31:54 PM »
I think your refering to the accelerator pump diaphram, they do go bad, also make sure the rebuild kit you get has a new aux pump diaphram, both can go bad and cause problems.
86 4Runner
Solid Axle Swap, 5'' Of Lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR Tires, 5 Speed Manual Swap, Inchworm Duel Cases With 5.7 Gears, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5''Trail Gear Springs In Front, Marlin Crawler Third Members, 4.88 Gears With A Detroit In The Rear, High Pinion Front With 4.88 Gears and an ARB, Downey Header, Optima Battery, Trail Gear Sliders.

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Got my rebuild kit and did the carb. Took me about 5hrs to rebuild it. I put it back on the truck and it wouldnt start. I fiddled with it and it still wouldnt start. So this morning someone in autoshop suggested I hook up the battery cahrger to my battery and try to start it. The truck fired right up this morning. And it fires withing 2 or 3 revolutions of the starter every time. But its not quite fixed yet. I've never been good at adjustments on the carb so help me out here. When I started it this morning the idle speed screw wasnt touching the throttle and it the RPM's would raise to about 1500 then go down to where it wanted to die but it sounded like it started it self back up. So I screwed in the idle speed screw and it idles fluctuating between 1100 and 1400 RPM's. I dont know how much lower I can screw out the speed screw without it dyng. I find out tomorrow. Tomorrow I have to hook up two VSV things but I'm makin progress.  :thumbs:

yotaman84

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
i have an 84 carbeurated and it wont idle without dieing also have you tried the fuel cutoff solenoid. that is what did it at idle for me now it is between like 12 and 1400rpms it cuts out and its gettin pretty old

dt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
starting problems are usually associated with a bad accelerator pump

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Well this post is over a year old, and it was the fuel cut solenoid. But tonight, I bought an 87 2WD pickup to donate a good smogging engine for a mere  :o $200. It runs perfect and passes smog with flying colors.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Sooooo, did that new truck have power steering :eyebrow:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Actually, yes it did.

Why?  :disturbed: