Author Topic: difference in emmisons on a 85 22re, and a 94 22re?  (Read 2054 times)

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
difference in emmisons on a 85 22re, and a 94 22re?
« on: Oct 09, 2006, 06:48:22 PM »
Tittle says it all.  I am putting a 94 xtra cab on my 85 frame.  Lots of people have been telling me to just swap the vins, and that its perfectly legal to do, but I haven't really got a stright answer about that yet.

I will be using the harness out of the 85 since the 94 was a 3.0.

TIA
PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Actually, no the title doesn't say it all. 

Are you asking what the difference in emissions requirments is for a 9422re vs. an 85 22re?

I understand you are doing a body swap, but you said the 94 was a 3.0?  are yo uasking what will swap over?   
Your question doesn't really make sense to me :dunno: 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
yes, body swap.  If i register it as a 94 PU will the 85 engine be up tp par with the 94 emissions.

IT will have the wiring harness out of the 85 since the 94 WAS a 3.0.

Is swaping the vins (IE putting the vin from the 85 cab on the 94 cab) legal?  This will make it a 85 truck, therefore my emissions would not be a problem.

Better?

92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
yes, body swap.  If i register it as a 94 PU will the 85 engine be up tp par with the 94 emissions.

IT will have the wiring harness out of the 85 since the 94 WAS a 3.0.

Is swaping the vins (IE putting the vin from the 85 cab on the 94 cab) legal?  This will make it a 85 truck, therefore my emissions would not be a problem.

Better?

much better.  Makes sense now.

As far as I know, swapping VINs is illegal in any state, but I am sure it is in CA.  as far as the emissions, a CA law is that you cannot put an older motor into a newer truck.  If the '85 is a clean motor, and is FI, you may be able to get away with it, because the smog guys don't check the motor code against the VIN.  if it isn't FI, you can't get away with it in CA (sorry, don't know where you live)  I also don't know if you'll have a hard time with a 22re in a 3.0, but once again, they usually don't check the motor codes. 

I'm pretty sure of this, but I'm not 100% positive.  PM rocksurfer, I think he'll know for sure :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent