Author Topic: Missing  (Read 1821 times)

Johnny5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Missing
« on: Oct 05, 2006, 06:04:10 PM »
just istalled 3.0 in 88 truckran fine when pulled from donor now it is missing at idle but seems to clear out when u rev it up. i put on a new cap and rotor going to try wires but engine already had new wires on it so open for other ideas

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Missing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2006, 06:06:30 PM »
paging mister blackdog,  :phone:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2006, 06:14:38 PM »
paging mister blackdog,  :phone:
:phone:  You rang??

What year is the donor motor from?  did you have to change any of the plug adapters around (specifically the TPS plug) ?   Any other problems?  loss of power, idle going up and down?  I'm gonna throw out a guess of your TPS acting up, but I need a little more info.  Getting plenty of fuel?  how high do you have to rev it before the miss goes away?  how low is your idle set?  :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Johnny5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2006, 07:42:49 AM »
donor motor out of a 90 runner i changed sensor block out for the 88,injectors from the 88,. i tried it then but the motor ran real rough and wouldn't rev up. codes read bad tps so i put on the 88 throttle body and tps and also changed to the 88 dist. truck will start but has  a miss at idle . i didn't have a tach in it so i can only guess it smooths out about 3 grand???can't seem to find know vacuum leaks. i used silicone on the air chamber to intake somebody claimed without the proper gasket it won't run right

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2006, 04:06:19 PM »

How's the timing? 

Try going over the vacuum lines with a propane clyinder, like from a torch or something, with the motor running.  If it suddenly kicks up, you've found your leak.  I tried to seal the throttle body/intake seal with RTV, and was also told not too, but I forgot why.

I'm trying to find the instructions I had for testing the TPS.  This still sounds like a TPS problem to me. 

PM me your email, I found the directions for testing the TPS, and I'll email you them.  They were scanned and emailed to me, and that is prolly the easiest way to pass them along :thumbs:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Johnny5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2006, 04:43:41 PM »
tried the propane trick no leaks ,retimed it, found a gas leak from the injectors fixed it still no better. truck wouldn't restart very easy ended up changing coolant temp sensor as i broke the original and the used one i don't think was any good replaced with a good one. seems to run a little better but still a little miss

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2006, 10:58:55 PM »
Ok.  I sent you that test for the TPS, so check that, and see what comes up.  Is it still throwing codes at you, or has it cleared?

-Ronald Reagan

Johnny5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2006, 04:58:33 PM »
 i think it might be throwing a code but it was before engine change for the o2 sensor. before i had a chance to check codes my brother sold the truck.,so i guess it is somebody else problem know. thanks for all the help i have to do another v6 change this time an 89 into a 90 be sure to post up if i run into trouble.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2006, 05:00:53 PM »
you said the plug wires are new, but is there any chance in swapping or pulling things you internally broke a wire?

i did that years ago to my dads ranger accidentally, we couldnt figure out what it was, as all the wires tested fine when i tested them, but the wire was broken on the inside, and usually gravity kept the pieces together, but sometimes they seperated in the sleeve and caused the misfire
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~