Author Topic: Tubing Bender  (Read 1676 times)

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
Tubing Bender
« on: Sep 19, 2006, 12:41:38 PM »
Who makes a good tubing bender and what size dies are the ones most people typically use.  I am looking for a floor mounted one.  I don't want hydraulic at this time.  I want to build some bumpers and fender bars.

TheBandit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Male Posts: 174
  • Member since Jan '06
  • MS in BS
    • View Profile
    • www.xtremefabricator.com
Re: Tubing Bender
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2006, 12:54:19 PM »
I would get a Pro Tools 105 from Keith at www.xtremecrawlers.com. 1-3/4 and 1-1/2 are probably the most common tube diameters. I use 1-3/4 for my stuff. I recommend Keith because I've dealt with him before and he has great customer service. His prices are also very good and he is flexible about putting together a package deal with the parts & die(s) that you want.

A similar bender, the JD2 Model 3 is another choice, but I believe the 105 has better dies with less chance of galling/scratching or kinking. The only reason I would go JD2 over Pro Tools is if I knew some people with dies to share.

You might also come across the JRM bender, but my opinion is it offers little advantage over the Pro Tools or JD2 choices and costs significantly more.

Any of the above mentioned benders can be converted to hydraulic later on.

Also, I highly recommend bending software from Bend Tech (www.2020ssi.com). You can save a lot of time and tube ($$$) using this software and there are several versions available depending on your budget/needs.

Another great tool is a plane of bend bracket. You can get these from a lot of different companies, but I don't think anyone offers a better quality tool for the price than John's Custom Fab. See this site for details: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924

If you order from xtremecrawlers, 2020ssi/BendTech, or John, let them know "TheBandit" sent you.

Hottrod81 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2006, 01:01:36 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I think I am going to get the Pro Tools.  I have heard nothing but good things about them.  I have heard that the software is well worth the price especially for somebody like me who has no experience of bending anything except with a torch.  I appreciate the help.. Thanks again.

TheBandit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Male Posts: 174
  • Member since Jan '06
  • MS in BS
    • View Profile
    • www.xtremefabricator.com
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2006, 03:29:51 PM »
Sounds great. If you order directly from Bend Tech, you will likely be talking to Cris. He is a great guy and will do anything he can to help you learn the software. Tell him Clint sent you!

Don't forget to post some pictures when you get the bender up and running. I'd definitely like to see what projects you pump ou with it!

Hottrod81 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2006, 04:31:14 PM »
I will definitely post picks.  I am going to build bumpers, rock sliders, and fender bars for my 4Runner.  I like the idea of fenders bars because they will protect some from those ever so close trees.