Author Topic: yet ANOTHER sbc355 swap....questions, opinion..sm465, d300.....  (Read 3311 times)

Stinky

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 636
  • Member since Aug '05
  • my wifes vagine, it hangs like a sleeve of wizard
    • View Profile
ok guys here we go, im a poor 20 year old college student, i have a deal and a half at my finger tips...a freshly rebuilt 350, bored .030 over, flat tops, decked block, head work(port/polish, bigger/hardened exhaust valves, decked), new cam(stock), full fel-pro gasket set, all new timing comp(gonna get ripped out for gear drive  :greengrin: ), for $500...and then an accompanying sm465 for another $100....its a buddy of mine he bought it n had the auto teacher build it in their engines class at school, so its done right, the teachers a perfectionist, so he could put it in his s-10 blazer with a 1-ton drivetrain, but changed his mind, but scrapped that idea( $$ n skill level) so i get a deal.....im gonna run a d300 case, their dime-a-dozen n easy as hell to twin stick and strong as hell(heavy as hell too, cast iron mmmm) ....curious if anyone knows how far the tranny crossmemeber will have to move, if at all.....d-shaft lengths, shifter location, in case anyone knows of this swap before.....and i dont wanna hear about fuel mileage or any "youre gonna break every ten feet" :pokinit:, and ya the sm465 is only a 4 speed w/ a 1:1 4th gear, O WELL....its a deal, i want it n i can make it work....already helped swap a 305 in a toy n saw all the hang-ups....nothins different, but 50 cubes, everything mounting-wise is the same, except we used toy tranny n case...so thats where my questions come in.....

im prolly gonna run a low cfm carb...500-600, if that much not lookin for 897456789634839 horses, just more ass on hills.....advice ppl, thats all i ask for...thankss

ps: nothins better than ppl talkin sht on the jap crap n at', then a SBC fires up n they look like an ass...I LOVE THAT!!
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2006, 08:31:51 PM by Stinky »
87 p/u SAS, 22RE, built, then cut up and scrapped

94 ex cab P/U, SR5, fully loaded, 3.4 swap, r150f, a/c, bumpers, 33s, glass fenders...sold

00 Stoopid Duty 250, ex cab, lariat, v-10,000

94 reg cab, 22re, duals, 38.5 boggers, sas, 4 link, tube bed, build underway... http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967836

88 Samurai, soa, buick 3.8, th350, zuki case, 1/4 done... anyone wanna buy it??

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
what axles do you plan on running under this truck? 

I'd say your going to need to beef up the rest of the truck to accomidate the V8 or you'll be busting parts left and right.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Stinky [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
just stocker :pokinit:...im on a budget...it wont get wheeled hard until i ut, most likely, 60s under it....but im gettin 241 case with it too...i mean complete :pokinit: for $600, cant beat it....

94 ex cab P/U, SR5, fully loaded, 3.4 swap, r150f, a/c, bumpers, 33s, glass fenders...sold

94 reg cab, 22re, duals, 38.5 boggers, sas, 4 link, tube bed, build underway... http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967836

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
As far as carbs go, a Holley spreadbore will probably be perfect for you.  Models 4165 and 4175 were designed as direct replacements for the Rochesters that most GMs came with.  They came in either 650 or 800 cfm, the 650 should work good for you.  It oughtta be a good compromise between economy and power.  The spreadbore is nice because the small primaries use less fuel when you're just cruising under light throttle, and with that 355 in that small truck you're not gonna need a whole lotta throttle most of the time.  You can find these carbs on Ebay or at swap meets usually, but plan on a rebuild where ever you get one from.

I was wondering, about swapping a V8 into our little trucks, would the weight of the motor make the front end sag a whole lot?  I'm guessing since V8 would weigh almost twice as much as a four cylinder, you'd have to swap in leaf springs from a V8 truck.  Is that right, or would the standard 4-5" lift Toy springs handle the weight?
Welders Hold the World Together!

Stinky [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
thats sweet, same thing as a rochester, small primaries, huge secondaries....good deal

and i dont think so, we swapped a 305 in my buddy's toy (Boner), and it dont sag a bit, soooo i hope mine reacts the same way, if not then ill just add some leaves...

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
Plan on breaking lots of birfs.

4rox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 115
  • Male Posts: 122
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling in texas
    • View Profile
Plan on breaking lots of birfs.
Knock on wood I haven't broken a birf yet.I drive my truck everyday to work and wheel it hard on the weekends.In the beginning I broke alot but I've strengthened everything.
I'd rather push a Toyota than drive a Jeep!!!

4rox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 115
  • Male Posts: 122
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling in texas
    • View Profile
ok guys here we go, im a poor 20 year old college student, i have a deal and a half at my finger tips...a freshly rebuilt 350, bored .030 over, flat tops, decked block, head work(port/polish, bigger/hardened exhaust valves, decked), new cam(stock), full fel-pro gasket set, all new timing comp(gonna get ripped out for gear drive  :greengrin: ), for $500...and then an accompanying sm465 for another $100....its a buddy of mine he bought it n had the auto teacher build it in their engines class at school, so its done right, the teachers a perfectionist, so he could put it in his s-10 blazer with a 1-ton drivetrain, but changed his mind, but scrapped that idea( $$ n skill level) so i get a deal.....im gonna run a d300 case, their dime-a-dozen n easy as hell to twin stick and strong as hell(heavy as hell too, cast iron mmmm) ....curious if anyone knows how far the tranny crossmemeber will have to move, if at all.....d-shaft lengths, shifter location, in case anyone knows of this swap before.....and i dont wanna hear about fuel mileage or any "youre gonna break every ten feet" shirt, and ya the sm465 is only a 4 speed w/ a 1:1 4th gear, O WELL....its a deal, i want it n i can make it work....already helped swap a 305 in a toy n saw all the hang-ups....nothins different, but 50 cubes, everything mounting-wise is the same, except we used toy tranny n case...so thats where my questions come in.....

im prolly gonna run a low cfm carb...500-600, if that much not lookin for 897456789634839 horses, just more ass on hills.....advice ppl, thats all i ask for...thankss

ps: nothins better than ppl talkin sht on the jap crap n at', then a SBC fires up n they look like an ass...I LOVE THAT!!
Every swap is gonna be different.You don't want your truck to be like everyone elses.Just make sure you get all the parts before you attempt anything.Mine took 2 years to get all the bugs out.You'll shell the stock rear so I'd suggest a 9 inch or 1 ton stuff.I prefer the 9 just cuz its similar to the toy rear just 2x the size.Good luck.
I'd rather push a Toyota than drive a Jeep!!!

Stinky [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
im not askin questions to copy :pokinit: off other people, its my dd, so the less time its down the less of a hassle it will be for me to get around, im askin questions to speed up the process a bit, that and i dont have a ton of money to spend here, so i want as few bugs to have to work out as possible.........anything and everythng that can be fabbed, will be, yet im not half-assin :pokinit:.....

Stinky [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
well the sm465 is now out of the plan, 700R4 is the new tranny of choice, pickin up 2 2wd trans's for dirt cheap, so just a lil tailshaft/tailhousing swap and ill have 2 trans awaiting beatings.....still gonna run a D300 and everything else....

Stinky [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
well, yet ANOTHER change of plans, but as i said in the last build up, the more changes that i make the better/cheaper it works out for me, sooooooo...i scored a 5.0 out of a 91 fox body w/ around 70k on it for a $150....so now i gotta find a trans(auto w/ OD) and a pass. drop compatible case....someone PLEASE HELP with this, cuz i dont kno ANY trans/case combos that bolt up to a 302 n have a pass drop case.....ANY help is HIGHLY appreciated....