Author Topic: Welded front differential  (Read 3960 times)

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
Welded front differential
« on: Aug 30, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »
I have been toying with welding the front differential on my '84 4runner.  The truck is a daily driver but it still gets its fair share of abuse. It has 31 inch tires and a mostly stock 22r.  Usually I only use 4wd in mud and heavy snow and I dont have a problem locking and unlocking the front hubs.  I plan on eventually getting a locker for the front but I don't have the money.  Will I regret doing this?  Thank you in advance for any help.  :turtle3:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
Re: Welded front differential
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2006, 05:32:35 PM »
You might regret it if you break birfs.  That's really the only issue I can think of is that the birfs are the weak point.

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2006, 06:46:29 PM »
 ;)Okay, lets say that I lock the front end in on a snowy day and the road is completely covered in snow and ice, I'm fine for now but what happens when I hit pavement that has been plowed.  I know that it will cause the tires to skip and chirp but would going around a few corners cause any breakage.  Or would I have to stop and unlock at least one hub before going around a corner.  Thanks  ;)
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2006, 06:52:29 PM »
You should be okay as long as you don't back up with the wheels cranked and that you are extremely easy on the skinny pedal.  Just my  :twocents:

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2006, 07:08:39 PM »
Ran mine for a year this way   Mostly snow   Broke 2 Birfields  Both backing up on dry pavement in double low

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2006, 08:40:22 PM »
How will it do on dirt trails and roads?

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2006, 06:41:37 AM »
I didnt lock both hub until hard spots but can do dirt roads fine . Pain to steer even with power steer.  wouldnt reccomend it but it worked .

biteme

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 119
  • Member since Nov '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2006, 12:59:58 PM »
why with only 31's do you really need to be locked up solid all the way around? I'd say leave the front alone til you can save up for a locker, it seems too me like you think that having all 4 wheels pulling will make up for driver inexperience, just  my .02. besides most people with 4wheeldrive vehicles think that they can go faster in the nasty stuff and they seem to forget they can't stop as quick as they can go.

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2006, 03:21:49 PM »
save your money and put a locker in it.  i just pulled my welded front and replaced it with a locker.  if you plan on getting something like a aussie and you weld your third up you will have to get a new carrier because you can't get the spiders out after they are welded

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:16:56 PM »
NO! being locked in the snow sucks on the streets. that and its nice to steer. dont be a cheap ass
Im an OG

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2006, 05:01:55 PM »
NO!

I've had both a Detroit Trutrac Limited Slip (past) and an Aussie Locker (currently) in the front differential and you don't want a "spool" in the front.  If you can't afford to purchase an Aussie Locker (www.aussielocker.com) then you can afford upgraded birfields and they are not that exciting to change.

A single rear locker is more than adequate for any normal wheeling.  :twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2006, 10:11:28 PM »
ive ran welded front for about a 1 1/2 years and love it now that i have longfields and unlocking one hub doesnt do any good you will be able to turn one way easily but it will still be hard turning the other way, and i dont recomend welding it uless your going to put longfields in at the same time  and i hope you have power steering i wheeled for about 6 months with 36" tsl sx's with the welded front and manual steering and it sucked i didnt get to pick the lines the truck did

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2006, 11:12:43 AM »
If the truck was trail only weld it up. In minnesota I wouldn't want anything to do with a welded diff on the street unless you like spinning out and getting in wrecks.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2006, 10:45:35 AM »
NO!

I've had both a Detroit Trutrac Limited Slip (past) and an Aussie Locker (currently) in the front differential and you don't want a "spool" in the front.  If you can't afford to purchase an Aussie Locker (www.aussielocker.com) then you can afford upgraded birfields and they are not that exciting to change.

A single rear locker is more than adequate for any normal wheeling.  :twocents:

hey blackdiamond would you say it would be safe to put the detroit tru-trac lsd in the front with stock 27 spliners, or is it still a nessesity to put 30 spline chromoly longs in...this will be with 35x1250s, mainly dd but a couple times a month hitting the trails
i love your sig your down to a half of a maverick

73 Maverick(jointly owned w/ lil bro)
64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
92 Toyota p/u 4x4 (dead) resurrecting underway
72 Skylark (dead) resurrecting underway
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2006, 01:00:11 PM »
hey blackdiamond would you say it would be safe to put the detroit tru-trac lsd in the front with stock 27 spliners, or is it still a nessesity to put 30 spline chromoly longs in...this will be with 35x1250s, mainly dd but a couple times a month hitting the trails

I ran the limited slip front with 4.88 gears, 33 inch tires and a 4.70 transfer case for a couple of trips to Moab without any problems.  I have a conservative driving style so even though I run the hard trails I treat the truck really well (i.e. no wot, hopping, etc...).  I'm not sure how much difference the 35's would make.  I didn't break anything.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2006, 03:20:09 PM »
If you decide to weld with stock birfs, please be sure to join the stock birfield exchange program...
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com