Author Topic: hy steer q's  (Read 2855 times)

GrenadedToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 49
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Maatt Daeemon
    • View Profile
hy steer q's
« on: Aug 16, 2006, 10:36:18 PM »
i got my trail gear hysteer installed now. but its weird, i can now feel every bump in the road. i thought the kit was supposed to eliminate bump steer..? could the problem be that im not running power steering? i will be soon i just need to get 2 pulleys and im good. but any ideas what else it could be? there is a slight wobble at 45 mph but that has almost always been there but it seemed to get a little worse, i think it might be from the driveline, but idk.i checked and everything is tight and it tracks pretty straight down the road.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: hy steer q's
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2006, 07:12:49 AM »
i got my trail gear hysteer installed now.

:lipsrsealed:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2006, 07:28:06 AM »
That's whay you get from Trail Gear.  All of there stuff is junk.  Maybe you don't have it aligned correctly. :smack:

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2006, 07:38:08 AM »
could the problem be that im not running power steering?

You got it

*EDIT* Also see here http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/steering_inst.htm
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2006, 07:43:31 AM by toynorcal »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:01:15 AM »
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

4inchToyotas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -260
  • Male Posts: 351
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Wheeling does exist in the ATL
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Cruisers
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:45:36 AM »
 :nonono: How dare you linky to that site...Actually they don't have box/rod installation instructions...just bleeding instructions.

The instructions they have are in here: http://www.trail-gear.com/pdf/classicfront-instructions.pdf
2006 Tundra DC 4x4 - DD/Tow (if I can ever find a place to store a trailer)
1983 Hilux - 20/22r Weber 32/36 carb, 4" ProComp suspension, 5.29's Lockrite Front, Spool rear, 34x10.50x15 LTBs

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2006, 09:36:54 AM »
:nonono: How dare you linky to that site...Actually they don't have box/rod installation instructions...just bleeding instructions.

The instructions they have are in here: http://www.trail-gear.com/pdf/classicfront-instructions.pdf
:haha:  that was my point,  there is nt any instructions  :rofl:  follow that link i put up and it goes nowhere :rofl:

4inchToyotas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -260
  • Male Posts: 351
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Wheeling does exist in the ATL
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Cruisers
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2006, 10:10:09 AM »
:doh: Fell for it...should had my Pirate reading face on...
2006 Tundra DC 4x4 - DD/Tow (if I can ever find a place to store a trailer)
1983 Hilux - 20/22r Weber 32/36 carb, 4" ProComp suspension, 5.29's Lockrite Front, Spool rear, 34x10.50x15 LTBs

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2006, 10:57:45 AM »
GrenadedToy,

The Crossover Steering kit was developed by Marlin of Marlin Crawler, and the HySteer kit was developed by John of All Pro, both back around 1997. Prior to that the only steering upgrade available was the Marlink, a heavy duty tie rod. The factory push pull "horse shoe" steering was still used. In those days we were only using about 3" suspension lifts. But today 4" and 5" lifts are more common.

The reason I am saying all of this is because I am not sure what your current lift is, and what style steering you have been using. If you have a 1" or 2" suspension lift and you switch to a Crossover style steering system (like a HySteer) then you might not notice much of a difference in terms of bump steer.

But if you have a 3", 4", or taller lift setup with the factory push-pull steering system, then the angel of the drag link will be so steep that you will have horrible bump steer, and also brake steer.

So the great thing about a Crossover steering system is that the drag link is a good 36" long (eye to eye) compared to the factory push-pull arm which is only about 17" long. So the drag link on a crossover steering is more than double the length of the drag link on a push-pull setup, so the amount of incurred bumpsteer due to a higher suspension lift will be cut by more than 50% as much as that experienced with the factory steering setup.

I think back in the day we used to tell people that a crossover setup would reduce bumpsteer by about 75% or so. I just looked on our website and it says 90%. I would argue as to which is correct, but I know that on my truck, with 4" springs, it made a HUGE difference and I am very happy with our HySteer

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

megolfer

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Male Posts: 438
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2006, 11:07:11 AM »
i got my trail gear hysteer installed now. but its weird, i can now feel every bump in the road. i thought the kit was supposed to eliminate bump steer..? could the problem be that im not running power steering? i will be soon i just need to get 2 pulleys and im good. but any ideas what else it could be? there is a slight wobble at 45 mph but that has almost always been there but it seemed to get a little worse, i think it might be from the driveline, but idk.i checked and everything is tight and it tracks pretty straight down the road.

I have an idea for you.  Why dont you call trail gear and have them help you out.  Pretty shirtty you buy parts from one company and come on the site of the competator and ask tech questions about there product.  Go to the trail gear web page, we dont need you here.

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2006, 11:18:46 AM »
Aren't we testy this morning.  Must be tired of babysitting.

megolfer

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Male Posts: 438
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2006, 11:20:57 AM »
yup babysitting grown adults wears on you sometimes.  Been to many fights lately.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2006, 12:14:52 PM »
Come on guys.

So he bought a similar kit as our own from someone else, just let it go. It is a free market and people can get there things from where ever they like. He must have had his reasons to order from Trail Gear just as you have your own reasons why not to order from Trail Gear.

I don't want to see anymore bashing like this, especially since he is just asking for tech help.

I find it extremely funny that we get customers from Trail Gear asking about Trail Gear products here. This makes me believe that Trail Gear is not capable of helping out their own customers. But I am sure that they would like to help them out, but they just are not.
The forum is not the only place where this happens. I have taken many calls from Trail Gear customers who were looking for tech help. I do not consider this a waste of time because I know that from my tech advice and my friendly personality that we will gain many competitor's customers as our own. It happens all the time.

GrenadedToy has been a member since June of last year and we are happy to have him here.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2006, 12:18:15 PM »
 :clap2:

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2006, 01:12:01 PM »
Some good points BigMike.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2006, 02:00:42 PM »
I have an idea for you.  Why dont you call trail gear and have them help you out.  Pretty shirtty you buy parts from one company and come on the site of the competator and ask tech questions about there product.  Go to the trail gear web page, we dont need you here.

dang thats kinda jacked.... i guess i should go away too, my trucks not a 4x2 :rofl:
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2006, 02:21:04 PM »
GrenadedToy has been a member since June of last year and we are happy to have him here.

:greengrin: :beerchug:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 17, 2006, 03:18:26 PM »
Aren't we testy this morning.  Must be tired of babysitting.
yup babysitting grown adults wears on you sometimes.  Been to many fights lately.
Please remember this is Marlins forum  and not PBB.  :nonono:  so lets keep our cool as hard as it may be at times.   i know  it  gets under my skin megolfer, but we keep this site as friendly as Marlin himself

so  please forgive me for my earlier comment, Mike , as always is right.   

grenadedtoy, i would start by checking with a tape measure to make sure your front tires are as close as possible to being alligned, and also a steering stabilizer will help,  hopefully  you will at least get THAT from Marlin
:therethere:

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 17, 2006, 03:53:10 PM »
When I called Megolfer testy, I was kidding with him because he is my brother.  Just to let you know, we weren't being rude to each other.

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 17, 2006, 04:50:16 PM »
I had a similar issue when I went from the pus pull steering to (marlins) hy steer.  I noticed right off that the steering had much more "feel" to it. i could now feel alot more of the road\trail surface. I also noticed that it took more effort to turn the wheels while the truck was not in motion. I don't know if this was due to the different geometery of the cross over or perhaps the steering boxes were geared differently, I don't know. 
Driving with the new hy steer\crossover was normal except for some death wobble issues that I found to be caused by the steering arm nuts not being torked (sp) tight enough, I solved that but still had slight problems with death wobble when I would hit a bump at an angle ( like the ditch coming off of sand flats road here in moab).  I have since added hydro assist, did a little work on the pitman arm to drop the TRE in from the top rather than the bottom, and now all is working wonderfully!! No more DW, I can now turn lock to lock while in 4wd on the slickrock here in Moab with just 1 finger pressure (spooled front).
For the record I am and will ever be a loyal Marlin customer. Price, quality, service are all at above industry standards. HOWEVER.... that is not the reason. All Pro has treated me well in the past as well.  But I never got a hand singed christmas card from John Burnett ( I am sure that I spelled his last name wrong... if so... I am sorry.)  It is that very thing that will keep me coming back to marlin year after year. Other companys DO have good customer service, they DO have good quality products and prices..... But I have never experienced the level of care and commitment for customers that I have received from Marlin.
Thankyou and Best regards
Dan
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

GrenadedToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 49
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Maatt Daeemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 17, 2006, 06:57:39 PM »
the reason i bought the trail gear kit was because i was tight on money and at the time i didnt know the history of them(bad service, crappy parts, etc.) and it seemed like a good deal considering it was 30 bux cheaper than marlin, and like 60 than all pro. but hopefully nothing will break, i dont see how it could, the stuff on there is pretty beefy. and to address the me asking tech questions on here about trail gear , i usually always get a helpful answer, and i dont get torn apart like on the PBB. and i definatly will buy the stabilizer from marlin..

and big mike, my suspension lift is around 3-4". but thanks for sticking up for me man.  :biggthumpup: what a nice guy. :clap2:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 17, 2006, 07:59:44 PM »
yea  that Mikes a keeper  :therethere:

sorry we got a little sideways there, 

try my suggestions  and come on back if ya need help

if someone gives you a hard time  just PM me or Mike :thumbs:

johnnygalt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -129
  • Male Posts: 224
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:06:59 PM »
Take it into an alignment shop and pay the $50 to have it aligned.  I tried several times to align mine(toe) with a tape measure and still had death wobble.  Took it in and I was slightly toed out.  They also measured the caster for me.  From what I've read, you want 2-5 degrees of caster with big tires, mine was 4.5.

With big knobby tires (I run 35" MTR's) it's difficult to get a good read.  Mine drives soooo much better after the alignment.