Author Topic: More pics of installed M/C knuckle ball gussets?  (Read 2659 times)

seafarinman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
More pics of installed M/C knuckle ball gussets?
« on: Jul 04, 2006, 09:37:53 AM »
I received my M/C knuckleball gussets for my solid axle. I was looking at the illustration on this site, but I was wondering how the lower shock mount is supposed to be installed. Am I really supposed to cut off the original lower shock mount? That is the way that it looks in the picture. Also are the gussets supposed to be welded on the 12 and 6 oclock positions of the knuckle balls or on the top and bottom where it would be once it is mounted to the springs? I want to do it right the first time. :crossed:
IT1(SW) US Navy
1994 Toyota 4x4 Pickup SAS DD locked 37" MTR's
1987 Toyota 4x4 Pickup-SAS Moving Violation-38"TSL/Hydro assist
1993 Nissan NX2000-Pocket Rocket
www.webshots.com
seafarinman/seafarinman2/seafarinman3

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22763.0

I found this post...it has a few more pictures.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
if you have it mounted to the spring 12 and 6 would be top and bottom
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

genericposter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Mar '05
  • r0ar
    • View Profile
I will go take some pictures. We actually had a slight f-up while I was welding mine.

EDIT: Ok here are the pictures.

You will notice that my shock is infront of the gusset instead of behind. Had a bit of an miscommunication when they were getting welded on. Shouldn't really hurt anything though since its the same ammount of offset just in the other direction.
84 4Runner - 4.88s, Rear Locker, 33"s
Senior Airman USAF
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

genericposter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '05
  • r0ar
    • View Profile
To anyone wondering about the push/pull I gotta wait until the 15th for High-Steer. But have some nice 4" springs waiting to go in at the same time so it will be a good weekend.
Senior Airman USAF

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
make sure you can still turn with it on, my friend installed them on his, and was basically unable to turn his wheels more than halfway, they hit the ball, we ended up having to basically saw off half the gusset
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

genericposter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '05
  • r0ar
    • View Profile
Ouch.. I can turn fine, but I know what you are talking about. The metal backing plates that hold the felt in needed trimmming. I trimmed a good bit off the top plate and everything went in fine. I will get more pictures of it later. 30s against the grinder and your set.
Senior Airman USAF

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
genericposter. trim your ubolts! those are huge!!!!!
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~