Author Topic: What 5.29s should i get, Yukon, Richmond Gear , Precision Gear  (Read 6384 times)

Doc Holiday

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Which one of these brands should i get, abviosuley i want a good brand , something strong, is there nothing wrong with any of these brands, someone told me that the Yukon gears are cheap,
Thanks for any suggestions!!! :wave:

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
yukons are not cheap, they are the best... the otehr ones you mentioned arent bad either though

can we start a "Doc's Buildup and newbie ? thread" yet?

a simple search even with how bad the search is here would easily answer 90% of the questions you have
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
ohh ya, sorry i forgot about that...... my bad!!!

Relly, so Yukon gears are good, anyone here use Yukon gears

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
ohh ya, sorry i forgot about that...... my bad!!!

Relly, so Yukon gears are good, anyone here use Yukon gears

I have used Yukon gears and sent them to Bobby for him to cryogenically treat them. I was running a tall (40X17) and wide tire and had no problems out of the gears. I believe most gear manufacturers are good, but the key is to have them setup properly. I highly recommend Yukon. Never let me down....
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
yukon is top notch its the only gear marlin will run in his stuff..... he sells yukon as well, all the reputable shops do....

out of the 3 you listed, they are all good, and to go with what tonka said "I believe most gear manufacturers are good" watch out for Genuine Gear from 4 Wheel Parts, they are CRAP, and you WILL end up replacing them....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I'd just say don't get 5:29's but that's just my :twocents: I wont' run em.  Almost everyone I've known that wheels 5:29's has blown em up, and some not even on the trail :shake:

Just get 4:88's and regear the tcase :gap: :thumbs: :twocents:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
I'd just say don't get 5:29's but that's just my :twocents: I wont' run em.  Almost everyone I've known that wheels 5:29's has blown em up, and some not even on the trail :shake:

Just get 4:88's and regear the tcase :gap: :thumbs: :twocents:

Good approach.

4.88 are very strong, although, I never had any problems with my 529s....
mrkupfer@gmail.com

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
i've never heard of anyone having problems with their 529's either :headscratch: hmmm
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
wtfever  5.29s are fine.  they get ran up here on 40"+ tall tires and do not break.    Yukon is the best you can get.  and they are not expensive  they only run bout 150 bucks a set.

If a 5.29  set blewup  its because they were setup wrong.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
wtfever  5.29s are fine.  they get ran up here on 40"+ tall tires and do not break.    Yukon is the best you can get.  and they are not expensive  they only run bout 150 bucks a set.

If a 5.29  set blewup  its because they were setup wrong.
:dunno: I know of many that have blown up and have heard of many more.  Havin the smaller teeth they're just more apt to break than 4:88's... :twocents:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
:dunno: I know of many that have blown up and have heard of many more.  Havin the smaller teeth they're just more apt to break than 4:88's... :twocents:

while they are super strong being steel FordFreakChic is correct.  the simple physics of that are self explanatory.

would I run 5.29's... yep.
would I expect breakage eventually... yep
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
theres more to it than just "bigger" teeth though..
http://www.gearinstalls.com/410suck.htm
'82 on 35's, not much else.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
what alot of you dont get is that MOST of gearsets do not fail because of the pinion they fail because the ring gear deflects ! so your "pinion is weaker" statement is INVALID.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
what alot of you dont get is that MOST of gearsets do not fail because of the pinion they fail because the ring gear deflects ! so your "pinion is weaker" statement is INVALID.

Ain't nothin' like a ring deflectin'!
mrkupfer@gmail.com

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Only Toyota gears I couldn't break was my 3.90:1 and that is only because the clutch blew up first. :gap:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I've blown up (1) set of 5.29s, and that was due to being set up poorly!!  I have 5.29s and would run them with no hesitation whatsoever :thumbs: 

definitely avoid genuine gear though, that was the set that blew up in my truck :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
I have ran my 5.29's for over 2 years now.  no problesm at all.  broken 1 detriot, 1 lockrite, one birf, and one inner axle.  no nicks or chips out of them at all.  When i replaced the detriot with a welded carrier i even set-up the ring gear in a couple seconds.  I am not a ring anf pinion installer so i half assed it.  It felt like the backlash was good and the pattern look ok.  It hasn't faliled me yet and it has been run hard for about a year.  I guess it has to do with what factors you facing at the time of breakage.  I pulled mine out last week and it is still set the same as when i half assed it.  Maybe i am just lucky.  And i have no idea what brand of gears i have.  i bought both sets used already in the thirdmembers.

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
I run genuine gears which everyone says are the worst but the way I look at it I dont care what it is I will probably break it and they have a lifetime warranty so that is what I run.  I have only blown up 1 set but they had 12,000 miles on them and the carrier had about 1/4" of side to side play and some hard abuse.  Even after they chipped I still put a couple thousand miles and a rubicon trip on them anyways.  When they broke I just sent them in and they sent me a new set without a question

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
ok .... sounds good guys, i only got a 20r in my truck right now so i guess i should not be to concerned!!!! i can get a set of new yukon 5.29 gears for $265 Canadian at a local 4x4 shop. i guess Yukon is the way to go!!!