Author Topic: Cam and Rocker Damage 22R PU  (Read 2951 times)

Yomota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Cam and Rocker Damage 22R PU
« on: Jun 09, 2006, 09:22:39 PM »
Hi I'm from Eastern Washington.  Any way about 2000 miles ago I did a complete overhaul on a 22 R, replacing the rocker arms and cam as part of the over all package.  The other day the thing got real noisy and I pulled open the valve cover to discover the #4 intake cam and rocker were damaged.  These are after market parts and it looks like the rocker actually wore through and then cracked away.  Anyone who has experienced this know what exactly is the cause of this?  How do I avoid similar problem in the repair? 

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Cam and Rocker Damage 22R PU
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2006, 09:28:47 PM »
intake cam? or valve? if its the valve, sounds lie kit was too loose or way overtightened
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Yomota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2006, 12:02:40 PM »
:attention: My post says, "The other day the thing got real noisy and I pulled open the valve cover to discover the #4 intake [emphasis]cam and rocker were damaged."  Intake cam and rocker - not the valve and not the exhaust side.  I've adjust the valves on this 1985 for over 20 years (original owner) -they were not over tightened or loose when I did the overhaul and did a recheck after break in.  Anyone who has experienced this know what exactly is the cause of this?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2006, 12:26:42 PM »
ive had this happen to me befor,  get some TOYOTA  valve adjusters,   with mine the screw adjuster  came apart and destoyed the rocker,  luckily my cam was ok,  i have 3 or 4 stock cames in my shop if ya need one
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Yomota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2006, 12:50:26 PM »
Thanks 79Coyotefrg.  Mine failed at on the rocker pad area and messed up the cam lobe.  I've heard of the adjuster failure area too and I think your advice to use OEM ONLY is very sound.  I talked to engnbldr and he told me he sees cam failures from time to time, often when new aftermarket rocker arms are installed.  For that reason he will buy used ones from a wrecking yard and refaces them (I don't recommend) or replace with newToyota arms only (about $25/rocker).  I also talked to LCEngineering and they told me they only sell OEM rockers directly from TOY and they twice harden the cams they sell.  LCEngineering told me the Chinese aftermarkets are problematic - something to do with the hardness of the casting and cam.  They said they have tested many rocker aftermarkets claiming to be as good as OEM (TOYOTA) but they fail.   I think my problem wll be solved since I ordered a complete new rocker assembly and street cam from LCEngineering but it was over $500 (gulp!).  New shafts new springs, new..new..new...LC gave me good tech advice as well.  They gave some excellent advise on replacing the cam without distubing the head and breaking the seal.  Later I also found an article by Josh Carlson at:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/camshaft/
that was consistent with what LC told me on doing the job without messing with the head gasket, intake and exhaust.  I now have the double timing chain conversion kit on this engine so there are some tricks/advice provided by LC for putting the cam gear back on.  Anyway I was wondering if anyone else here experienced this sad story of destroyed rockers and/cam since I used after markets.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2006, 09:10:43 PM by Yomota »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2006, 06:44:04 PM »
im running the LCengineering stageII  race cam,  very nice,  almost 50,000 on that cam  and no signs of wear :eyebrow:  so yea they are good stuff
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way